Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 10:09 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,195,267 times

Advertisements

^^^^^Ha, I was just about to post something
along the same lines.

Gypsies in European countries are despised
because they are master con
artists & thieves.
From what I've read they even train
their kids super young to steal & con.

I say if you're travelling be extra aware....
Trust no one

I already don't trust people, lol
Being born in a humongous overrated
city taught me to never let my guard down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 04:34 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,180,737 times
Highly agree. I've only been to Europe a couple of times, and each time ran into these gypsies. I'm glad I was fore-warned about them before I went. It amazes me how aggressive they were re: their panhandling/scams.

Here in the U.S., I don't see gypsies around as much, or at least they're not as obvious. However, we have other criminals to worry about here....

Old 05-03-2016, 04:03 AM

23,267 posts, read 29,122,945 times
Call me the paranoiacs of paranoiacs, but one of my fears, all along, traveling to a foreign country, is running into some maid who doesn't like Americans, or perhaps a big enough tip wasn't left some morning, and out of vengefulness, she plants some drugs in one of my suitcases, unknown to me, hoping I'll be detained at the Airport upon leaving. And? Need I tell you of potential scenario's?

I even scour items I bought down there for potential drug residue. I was at the Airport in Quito, some years ago, I had bought 80 pirated DVD's, and this customs guard, rifled through each and every one of them, sniffing, sniffing, perhaps thinking I was secreting cocaine into the DVD packets? And for all I know, there could have been some residue in one of those DVD jackets!

So when I leave my hotel room for the Airport, Mr. paranoia scours every item going into his travel bag, and the bag itself, then I tie zippers with dental floss. That way, between the hotel and the Airport I know the bags haven't been tampered with.

I'm glad my foreign travel days have come to an end! I've been all over the world, decided to do my foreign travel up until I retired, and then during retirement, stick to domestic travel.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:01 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,127,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Sew velcro inside the opening of your pockets = pick pocket problem solved.
true, but low self-esteem issues quickly develop

Old 05-04-2016, 01:46 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,130,544 times
This may seem funny to some but she kept her stuff . I traveled with a group from my church to paris and a girl with our group had brought some duck tape and she taped everything shut with it and she taped her id and her wallet to the inside of her clothes and we were like what the heck ? she then proceeded to tell us about the gypsys in paris so all of us got some duck tape and did the same thing . None of us lost anything that did this . some of the group lost small items but figured they had been pick pocketed . We spent 5 days in Paris . I don't think I will ever go back it was quite dirty and grungy looking from the last time I was there . I was there when I was 17 and I went back at 45 and never ever again .

Old 05-05-2016, 07:23 AM

2,692 posts, read 1,673,400 times
Europe is wonderful. Violet crime is almost non existent. But they make up for it with petty crimes. And losing a wallet is something that ruins a vacation.

1. I always wear a money belt under my clothes which contains my phone, bigger currency and the credit card / passport card in a thin wallet. I open it only if needed, in a safe place.

2. In my pocket I carry a few euros / coins for quick usage.

3. Wear only fit-bit or no watch. No jewellery worn by my wife.

4. Have a dSLR with strengthened strap that goes across the shoulders and keep my hand on the camera at all times when outside and in crowded places.

5. Never walk close to the street where a bicyclist or motorcyclist can snatch things off me.

6. Finally carry only older version of camera and lenses so that even when it is lost, it does not hurt much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel