Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 04:52 PM

743 posts, read 875,977 times

Advertisements

I am flying next week and just renewed my driver's license photo. I have a "temporary credential" issued by the MVD (motor vehicle department) which is a paper document with the front and back of my new license on it. I still have my old license. Nothing changed except my photo. So I'm assuming to bring both and my birth certificate? Will I get through TSA? Anyone have experience with this? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 01:09 AM

2,120 posts, read 1,790,558 times
you shouldn't have a problem. I have gotten through TSA with no ID twice. Once I didn't have anything but a frequent flyer card with no picture and the other time I had a photocopy of my birth certificate and they asked if I had anything else on me with my name and I was able to produce a prescription bottle and they let me through. The last time was about 3 or 4 years ago.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:13 AM

Thank you very much for the information! On their website for TSA precheck docs it say it's fine with it plus something else with my name and address, but you never know. Each airport is different it seems.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:29 AM

7,515 posts, read 13,616,097 times
There is this in TSA's FAQs:
"I forgot my identification; can I still proceed through security screening?
In the event you arrive at the airport without proper ID, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. By providing additional information, TSA has other ways to confirm your identity, like using publicly available databases, so you can reach your flight."

Just be prepared with extra time to deal with any delays.

Good Luck........

Old 06-10-2016, 07:00 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,687,965 times
I remember showing them my Credit Card once and they let me thru. But it was way back in 2005. I carry proper documentation always while travelling.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:30 PM

Just an update after my travel: At Phoenix Sky Harbor airport, I couldn't go through TSA precheck. The girl was very nice and I explained my temporary, showed my new/old license, a credit card and even my CCW. I was turned over to another guy who told me my license was expired. I told him no, only my photo which is why I had the paper temporary license. He let me go through-but not pre-check.
In Portland I got through just showing my original license that the photo was expired. He didn't even want to see the temporary.
You would think that every airport would have the same rules, but they don't.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:42 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,576,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
Just an update after my travel: At Phoenix Sky Harbor airport, I couldn't go through TSA precheck. The girl was very nice and I explained my temporary, showed my new/old license, a credit card and even my CCW. I was turned over to another guy who told me my license was expired. I told him no, only my photo which is why I had the paper temporary license. He let me go through-but not pre-check.
In Portland I got through just showing my original license that the photo was expired. He didn't even want to see the temporary.
You would think that every airport would have the same rules, but they don't.

How did your photo expire but the license it was on did not?

Old 06-22-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
How did your photo expire but the license it was on did not?
Here in Arizona our driver's license don't expire for about 25 years. Crazy, I know. Back in 2005 our then Governor Napolitano banned the new implementation of the new driver's license because it looked too much like a "national I.D. card". So Arizona was granted an extension and we didn't have to comply. Now our current Governor reversed the ban, so now everyone has to get a new photo which is basically getting a new license. Now we have to renew our "photo" every 8 years instead of 12. My license expires in 2026.

And I procrastinated for 5 months and went and got my new photo 5 days before my flight, so I created my own hassle

Old 06-22-2016, 02:35 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,289,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
Here in Arizona our driver's license don't expire for about 25 years. Crazy, I know. Back in 2005 our then Governor Napolitano banned the new implementation of the new driver's license because it looked too much like a "national I.D. card". So Arizona was granted an extension and we didn't have to comply. Now our current Governor reversed the ban, so now everyone has to get a new photo which is basically getting a new license. Now we have to renew our "photo" every 8 years instead of 12. My license expires in 2026.

And I procrastinated for 5 months and went and got my new photo 5 days before my flight, so I created my own hassle

They actually don't expire until you are 65! So, you can go longer than 25 years depending on your age. My friends from out of state don't believe me when I tell them mine doesn't expire until 2037, so I have to show them to prove it.

When I lived in another state I was able to fly just fine with my paper temporary driver's license. I was heading to Vegas and the only person that had an issue was a cashier at a liquor store who sold to me but said "make sure you have a real ID next time" even after I explained to her that WAS my real ID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel