Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 02:21 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,039,438 times

Advertisements

SQ

CX

EM

Whoever has the cheapest seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 04:40 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,900 times
I would always go with a foreign carrier if I could help it. The U.S. carriers treat people like cattle. I just returned from a round trip to Halifax, NS, and none of the Air Canada flights (it was a connecting route) had horrible leg room. Only on the last leg was I mildly uncomfortable, and then it was due to a very large man crowding in my space...

Old 06-12-2016, 05:24 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,610,170 times
Virgin Atlantic. Wonderful service.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:57 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwuan View Post
I'm just curious what airline do most of you travel with the most or your favorite airline? The reason I'm asking is because I will be flying for the 1st time later this year and I'm trying to decide which airline would be best for me. I'm thinking about Southwest & Delta, if you have any experience with any of those let me know. But yea what's your favorite airline & which one would you recommend?
Fly Southwest. You won't have to change planes in Atlanta.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:32 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Fly Southwest. You won't have to change planes in Atlanta.
SW routes through ATL ever since they picked up AirTran a few years ago--it depends on your origin and destination.

My advice to the OP for domestic is to go cheapest carrier, shortest time out of your origin--pricing is different. Do your homework. Cheap base fare is not always cheapest overall. SW may be higher than Allegiant, Spirit, or Frontier, but you can easily pile up a la cart charges on these budget competitors--in cabin bags, seat selection, snacks--don't let them print you a boarding pass at the airport (some charge $5 for that little piece of paper)

I am not a big fan of SW, but there is value in getting somewhere non-stop in 2 hours instead of 5 hours because of layovers between connections.

Last year was my last year of extensive air travel. I won't miss it. The loyalty programs (and their parents) have collaborated to make status as a traveler a pointless endeavor for all but the folks cursed to fly weekly on business. None of them are distinguishable as better--it comes down to what company best serves your origin and destinations, and they know it.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:47 AM

1,099 posts, read 901,738 times
According to the 2015 American Quality Ratings Scores, Virgin America and JetBlue were the two highest rated with a score of -.4 and -.44 respectively...

Virgin America -.4
JetBlue -.44
Delta -.49
Hawaiian -.67
Alaska -.80
Southwest -1.0
United -1.43 (personally I'm surprised their score isn't worst than this...I will gladly pay more than to ever fly them again. In my opinion, they have the rudest customer service representatives of any companies, not just Airlines, I have ever met. Simply terrible)

The two lowest rated were Spirit and Frontier (but you are paying bargain basement pricing for these two airlines)

Old 06-13-2016, 09:36 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwuan View Post
I'm just curious what airline do most of you travel with the most or your favorite airline? The reason I'm asking is because I will be flying for the 1st time later this year and I'm trying to decide which airline would be best for me. I'm thinking about Southwest & Delta, if you have any experience with any of those let me know. But yea what's your favorite airline & which one would you recommend?
Domestically, Southwest and incidentally, I only began using them in the last few months. Hands down, the best service ever I have experienced. After flying Delta and other domestic airlines for decades, I'm done with them.

Internationally, Alitalia, Lufthansa

Old 06-13-2016, 10:03 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Virgin Atlantic. Wonderful service.
Never flew them, but will give them a shot

Old 06-13-2016, 10:11 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
For overseas - sadly, any other than American based. I like Lufthansa and Air France, lately added Turkish Airlines..

Old 06-13-2016, 10:11 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
I would always go with a foreign carrier if I could help it. The U.S. carriers treat people like cattle. I just returned from a round trip to Halifax, NS, and none of the Air Canada flights (it was a connecting route) had horrible leg room. Only on the last leg was I mildly uncomfortable, and then it was due to a very large man crowding in my space...
Yep. I winter in Vermont. I'll often drive to Montreal to fly Air Canada instead of flying domestic. Better seat pitch. Better service. You can actually get food on the airplane. No TSA.

If I have a short notice business trip, I tend to book Southwest because I can at least throw $15 at early boarding so I can get an aisle seat and a slot in the overhead. They also don't have that pathetic change fee if I need to change my travel plans along the way. On pretty much any other carrier, if you book a flight 7 days out, there are no aisle seats left unless you pay $75.00 to $100 for a "premium" seat.

Somebody in Congress was trying to get a law passed recently to forbid airlines from having that knee-crushing 31" seat pitch. I cheered. I'm 6'2". I don't fit in a 31" seat pitch seat. I've run into European discount carriers that have a 29" seat pitch seat. Nope. I'm not flying that aircraft. I'd have to saw my legs off.

I used to be Premier Exec on United for a bunch of years. If you're in an Economy Plus seat and have early boarding, United is acceptable. If you're part of the unwashed masses, they're the worst airline ever. I'm not willing to pay my dues and log 25,000 of those awful miles with them to get enough status to get the Economy Plus seat.

I mostly fly out of Providence, Boston, and Manchester. My travel pattern is typically east/west and most of the flights go to Florida. I haven't been on American much since they were bought by US Airways. I used to be Chairman's Preferred on US Airways many years ago and don't think much of that airline; particularly Philly as a hub. I imagine they've dragged American down to their level. I don't fly JetBlue very often because all their eastbound flights tend to be red eyes. My life is too short to do a red eye unless it's to Asia in business class where there is no choice. I take the Boston/Heathrow British Airways morning flight to avoid having to do red eyes to Europe.

So for domestic, they're all lousy. The "majors" tend to be a bit more lousy but everybody runs as close to 100% load factor as they can and it's the race to the bottom on service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel