Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 06:01 PM

134 posts, read 252,453 times

Advertisements

I am 28 and have quite a bit of vacation time accumulated at work. Usually, I spend my vacations at home and run errands for myself and my parents but I'd really like to do something different. I've been brainstorming about things that could be fun to do on my own but I'm coming up blank. My boyfriend will not go with me on vacation because we're not married and my parents would not approve. I don't have any girlfriends who can afford to spend on a vacation at the moment. I wouldn't mind spending a few days on a cruise boat or relaxing at the beach by myself, walking around visiting museums and ordering room service. But all of that seems stupid to spend money on, and I imagine would get pretty boring after a day or two by myself. I've thought about things like fitness/wellness retreats since I like to be active and would involve a group of people. I'm not an athlete but I like to spend some time at the gym and could stand to lose more weight. Everything I've seen is ridiculously expensive and doesn't seem to be geared to my demographic. A learning vacation like a study abroad opportunity for someone who is not in school appeals to me too but those also seem to be expensive.

The idea of travelling has always interested me but I suck at it and it seems I am socially inept. I went to high school that provided several opportunities to travel but I never took advantage of these opportunities because I didn't have the money. While in college, I took advantage of one opportunity to travel abroad. I decided on a budget location. I spent 4 months there but most of the time I spent browsing the web, reading books and studying so it wasn't much of a travel abroad experience. My roommates there were not friendly and I was too stupid to know how to interact with other people on campus. I wanted to give it a go again but the in the end, the timing didn't work out.

I want to try a different experience this time with a better attitude but no idea where to go. A lot of people out there have posted about great solo vacation experiences but I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do and how to do it. Anyone care to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 09:02 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,473,484 times
What are your interests?
Maybe there is a group in your town that plans periodic trips, even your church if you attend one.
Maybe start in USA, nearer to home but far enough away that you are in a new place.
Do you speak any other languages?
Where did you go abroad?
What is your budget this time?
What about a tour wth a group?

My first real vacation was to an island where no English or Spanish was spoken and my intent was to lay on the beach and read. I did that and much more as there were many opportunities and although I was very introverted I went out of my comfort zone and had a wonderful time. I went back the next year I enjoyed it so much.

I have studied abroad and this is my favorite way to go, but now I design the study to meet my schedule for exploring a country, basically using the study as an excuse to immerse myself in the culture and as a 'base' in another country.

My vacation this summer will revolve around a couple of regional cultural festivals. One weekend in July and another in August. Next year I will take another trip to Europe.

I have never been on a cruise or a tour vacation and never will, but many seem to enjoy them and feel safer in a large group but if you don't know anyone in the group it might be difficult, I don't know.

Why not try a couple of weekend getaways to sample what is available in your region and venture off from there?

Old 06-23-2016, 10:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
We need more info...
What are your hobbies, interests?
Favorite climate?
Budget?
Culture interests?

Season of year?

Good solo vacation...
Language immersion school ?
Barefoot sailing cruise? (u Participate in sailing)

Old 06-23-2016, 11:55 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Photography tour?

Old 06-24-2016, 11:16 AM

780 posts, read 678,871 times
First off, travelling alone is not as bad as you think.

I used to be like you, a couple of months ago. I always thought it would be boring to travel alone. About 2 months ago, I had travel for an interview and have decided to take that as an opportunity to check out the place. That was my first time going on a vacation somewhere, alone. I stayed there for 4 days and it was honestly one of the best travelling moments I've been in. I could do whatever I want, see it whenever I want. I went to the same place a few more times, just because I really liked it and I didn't have to consult with anyone if they're ok with it. I set my own odd meal time hours and it didn't matter to anyone.

The freedom of doing as I please was the best part. I got to really enjoy the place because I had no other distraction (I was not on social media whatsoever, until I got back to my room). For some people, that's when they even do some soul searching or it's the time they learn more about themselves. I know, sounds cliche, but it's very true.

As for where to go, well, you need to give us more information of where you are and what not. I would suggest you stay within your country for now, since you're not used to travelling alone and it wouldn't be as overwhelming. For example, if you live in the US, visit a different state. If you're in Canada, a different province. Or, wherever you're from, you don't have to go very far, there's usually something in another town (further out) that you may enjoy. Google things to do in that place and put "free things to do in..." and that's a good starting point. You'll see a list of activities and just go to the ones you want to see. Also, check out Trip Advisory. Sometimes, they even have a thing like "3 days in Florida, what to do..."

When I went on my vacation alone, I went to all these cool local spots and events, free. In 4 days, I must have spent just over $100. It was all food...well and one magnet as a souvenir

My advice is if you don't want to spend too much, stick with experiencing the local spots (market/park/boardwalk), rather than tourist "must-see".

Old 06-24-2016, 02:12 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Where are you starting from? What are your interests? Hobbies? Do you prefer hiking or shopping? Where haven't you been?

Museums? What sort of art do you like? Are you a foodie? Do you have a drivers license? Do you have a passport?

I'm going on a solo trip to Denmark in a couple of weeks. All by myself. Flying (obviously) then a train pass and I am going to explore the country by train, so that someone else is driving and I can look out the windows.

It is easy to find places to stay, the good places to eat, the sights to see just by spending some time online.

I take my dogs and drive over to the beach a couple of times a year. All by myself. I sight see, walk on the beach, and do some crabbing.

I've driven all over Scotland, all by myself, exploring lots of castles and I looked for the Loch Ness Monster.

I have taken several bus tours becasue they were great bargains that I couldn't pass up. It worked well. You meet people and someone else drives and carries your suitcase, and hotels and meals are all arranged for you. I wouldn't do it if it costs too much because I like to be independent, but sometimes you can't pass up a great bargain.

If you've got lots of money, do the river cruise in Germany.

If you love scenery and hiking and really good little restaurants, come to Oregon.

If sitting at a restaurant table all by yourself, take a good book, or else eat out of deli's or farnmer's markets. Oregon has lots of excellent food carts where you get your meal and sit by yourself, but once you are eating, sitting by yourself is fine.

Any place that has a tourist industry knows how to take care of their tourists. There will be all sorts of free information at the visitor's center.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 06-24-2016 at 03:14 PM..

Old 06-27-2016, 06:06 PM

483 posts, read 409,701 times
Sounds interesting, I'm planning my first solo trip to London/Paris. It will definitely be a new experience. Good luck with planning and have a great time wherever you decide to go!

Old 06-27-2016, 08:09 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
I'd suggest the UK... the pound is down against the dollar and will be for a while. You'd get a lot of bang for your buck. You already know the language, so that's a major plus for your first solo trip. I think the choice here is clear.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:00 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
What is the OP's budget and are they willing to travel outside the USA?

Old 06-28-2016, 07:06 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,039,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzlea View Post
I am 28 and have quite a bit of vacation time accumulated at work. Usually, I spend my vacations at home and run errands for myself and my parents but I'd really like to do something different....... My boyfriend will not go with me on vacation because we're not married and my parents would not approve.

Thats not a vacation....thats a waste of vacation time. Glad your trying to change that.

I do not understand how you cannot travel with your boyfriend because your parents don't approve. Your 28. Your a grown woman. This sounds extremely strange to me.

For the trip...

Start slow. Pick a US city...take a few days off work and schedule 4 or 5 day weekend in that city. Think about scheduling it around a famous festival. Go out and go to the places recommend by tripadvisor, fodors, lonelplanet or whatever travel info you prefer. Make a list of few places you really want to see....maybe 1 or 2 a day. Pick out a few restaurants you really want to try.

When you get there spend some time doing the things you planned but also make sure you set aside time to just walk and explore. Try the local food specialties. Go to places people go to like parks, clubs, festivals, markets etc etc.

After you get a few cities under your belt, think about Hawaii or Alaska, or a Canadian city like Vancouver etc.

Think about visiting some National parks also. Some of them should truly be seen at least once in your life.

These kind of trips are relatively cheap and you can do several a year. While doing them find out the kinds of that are interesting to you. Architecture? Museums? Art? Festivals? Do you like staying in the city or getting out and into nature?

Once you get some experience, then start looking at seeing the top International places. Italy (and other European destinations), Tokyo, Singapore along with whatever country/place fascinates you should be high up on your list. They are safe and have tons of info available and things to do. Quite frankly if you eat in Singapore, experience the nightlife in Tokyo and see the sights in Rome you would be hard pressed to surpass those in your future travels.

As for travelling solo, just use caution, stay alert and don't get impaired (drunk, etc). Look at the recommendations for the right locations. Plenty of people do it and there is loads of info online about doing it right. I would save the more risky (South America, etc) and romantic (South Pacific, etc) trips for when you are with someone.

You can also try to make some new friends. Friends that might share your desire to travel and have the resources and time to do it with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel