Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 03:52 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjburgwin View Post
I am divorced. What if they ask and I simply say yes? Do they just take my word for it? I'll have to find out about the fine print when I call them back tomarrow morning.
They may very well ask for proof of marriage. I know someone who went through one of these and they did just that.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:26 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
Quote:
When the 90 minutes was up, Why didn't you just pull out the paperwork of their offer and say:

"90 minutes is up now. Here is the paperwork of your offer, we want our free tickets, BOTH of them, right now as offered. We fulfilled our end of the bargain, you will now fulfill yours and pay for ALL of what you promised to pay, or, you refuse, and we can go to court. You've got til the count of ten to decide. 1....2...."

So yes, for me, it really WOULD be a 90 minute presentation. That's their offer, that's what I'm holding them to. I would be more than happy to stand up on a table, cup my hands over my mouth and announce to everyone there that Timeshare does not intend to fill their end of the bargain, then take my trip anyway and file in small claims court for reimbursement later. Or Timeshare can have their 90 minutes, hand over what they promised, and life is good. Easy way or hard way, their choice.
I can't wait to hear how your experience goes. You think you've got this figured out and you're going to work this to your benefit, not the other way around. I promise you, they've been at this game a lot longer than you have. They know all the tricks, and you could find yourself screwed, no matter how confident you may be going into the presentation.

You'd be smart to do a lot of research on typical conditions and restrictions behind these timeshare presentations (and specifically the one you're looking into, once that information is provided to you). For example, this one requires that you be married or co-habitating, with government-issued identification that proves co-habitation, and both must attend the presentation. So no, taking your daughter wouldn't work. They also have other requirements like minimum combined income and minimum credit scores. And if you don't meet all the conditions (like if you lie about your relationship status and show up without your spouse/significant other), they can go after you for the value of the trip they've given.

I suggest you stop dreaming about your free vacation.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:56 PM

16,092 posts, read 10,757,764 times
I sat through one of these in Branson and got tickets to three shows. Out of a room full of people, only one Chinese tourist couple signed up. We all clapped on cue. These are not simply timeshare offers any more -- they have a menu of things to hook you with. The guy that did my pitch was worried that I wasn't smiling and looking attentive because his boss was gonna be on his case if I didn't seem like I was interested in his pitch. Okiedoke... I smiled my little heart out. Finally the boss came by and was a real doofus. I got the impression that it is a pyramid scheme for the staff making the pitch. No way to make a living. I saw an Elvis impersonator, the Sons of the Pioneers, and some sort of goofy Up With People/Osmonds copycat show. It was better than the heat and traffic. I think I got a dinner ticket somewhere as well as the shows but don't recall using it.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:04 PM

50 posts, read 43,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I can't wait to hear how your experience goes. You think you've got this figured out and you're going to work this to your benefit, not the other way around. I promise you, they've been at this game a lot longer than you have. They know all the tricks, and you could find yourself screwed, no matter how confident you may be going into the presentation.

You'd be smart to do a lot of research on typical conditions and restrictions behind these timeshare presentations (and specifically the one you're looking into, once that information is provided to you). For example, this one requires that you be married or co-habitating, with government-issued identification that proves co-habitation, and both must attend the presentation. So no, taking your daughter wouldn't work. They also have other requirements like minimum combined income and minimum credit scores. And if you don't meet all the conditions (like if you lie about your relationship status and show up without your spouse/significant other), they can go after you for the value of the trip they've given.

I suggest you stop dreaming about your free vacation.
GOT the "fine print" faxed to me earlier today, no marriage requirement, nothing in the fine print that would allow them to say they are going to give me the tickets in exchange for the 90 minute presentation, and then not do it.

This trip is for TWO to DISNEY WORLD. Yes, I can take my daughter. Who do you THINK is going to Disney World? Two adults? Or someone with a child, obviously. Time Share is not going to market TWO tickets to a COUPLE, and then offer the destination as Disney World and expect to get any takers. That would be like my celebrating my birthday at Chuck E Cheese.

My credit score was good enough to purchase my home at 24 and it is still in the high 700s now.

I assure you, I have been around the block MUCH more than you, and Timeshare does NOT want to get sued and be ordered to pay court costs on TOP of reimbursement for the trip they reneged on, at a court date they wouldn't dream of showing up to.

I reiterate, if they try to reneg at the conclusion of the 90 minutes, I will simply show them the copy of our agreement, inform them loud enough for everyone to hear, that I will be more than happy to sue when I return to Virginia (The jurisdiction where the initial agreement took place) for reimbursement, and that I've said all I intend to say.

Suing a corporation in small claims court almost without exception results in someone calling to settle, or them simply not showing up in court. Been there, done that.

Last edited by rjburgwin; 08-18-2016 at 06:14 PM..

Old 08-18-2016, 06:13 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,010,260 times
Keep in mind the adherence contract they will make you sign to start the process, will probably require arbitration first, then if you sue them it would be in court of there convenience,

Someplace real in-convenience like Butte, Montana.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Keep in mind the adherence contract they will make you sign to start the process, will probably require arbitration first, then if you sue them it would be in court of there convenience,

Someplace real in-convenience like Butte, Montana.
I have on several occasions sued companies that required arbitration as part of the original contract. My online business puts me in a position of doing business with many, many great companies, and the occasional unethical one, so I've been through the process more than my fair share of times.

The kicker is, small claims court judges, at least where I am at, do not accept evidence by mail, and the defendant corporation has to actually SHOW UP at the court date to get the case dismissed on account of the arbitration agreement.

And corporations rarely do that. They may aggressively defend for years a multi-million dollar liability suit, but small claims court is rarely worth their time to send (fly) someone to show up. I have gone through small claims with corporations seven times, and five times they called to settle for the full amount, the other two they simply did not show up in court, and the judge found in my favor in less than 60 seconds.

And these are business related suits alone and have not even scratched the surface of all the TCPA cases I've initiated against telemarketers. Those are worth good money.

Because, you see, I won't be mentioning the existence of any arbitration agreement in court. I'll leave it to them to put someone on a plane to come fill the judge in on that one.

At the end of the day, Timeshare has a very poor business model if they think litigation is better than simply honoring their promise and giving you the tickets at the end of the presentation. I have a feeling they will simply agree to give me what they promised, which I have in writing, once I fulfill my end of the bargain.

On a side not I have never seen Montana, and hear it is a lovely State. So when I submit to arbitration the enforcement of our agreement, AND Travel expenses to get there, I guess I get TWO free vacations.

Last edited by rjburgwin; 08-18-2016 at 06:41 PM..

Old 08-18-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I assure you, I have been around the block MUCH more than you, ...
Pardon me, but how the #### would you possibly know that?!?!?!

If you're such an expert, why did you post here for advice?

Sorry, but I'm not buying that you got the fine print today, and it conveniently works right into your fantasy narrative.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:43 PM

815 posts, read 981,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
It won't just be a 90 minute presentation. You'll be lucky to get out of there in 3 hours. My SO and I attended one of these during our trip to Orlando with the promise of free tickets to Disney World, so we thought "why not".

What an experience!
We were assigned a salesperson when we arrived, ushered into a large conference room with about 50 tables. Each table had a poor unsuspecting family and a salesperson. After the presentation and a tour of the facilities, we were ushered back into the room where the salesperson tried his best to convince us that this was an opportunity of a lifetime. Throughout his spiel I kept repeating and repeating that we were only there for the free Disney tickets.
After what seemed like an eternity, he gave in and went off to get his supervisor to sign off on his failed attempt to get us to buy into the scheme. Then along came the supervisor (the closer) and once again we were bombarded with more sales talk but much more intense than the original attempt. This guy was downright insulting when I told him I didn't like the idea of a timeshare, but preferred other types of holidays. Anyway in the end he gave up and we got ONE free ticket.
So do read every word of the fine print and be prepared to endure the most excruciating 3+ hours of your life!
This^^^^^
Seriously was one of the worst experiences of my life. I still (15 years later) regret those hours my husband and I spent with those time-share salesmen, just to get free Disney tickets. In retrospect, I'd pay DOUBLE the normal price of a ticket, not to have to be subjected to that sales bullying. It was awful.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:47 PM

Whoops! Just thought of another issue with timeshare reneging on their written 90 minute presentation agreement:

The Disney World tickets they hand me AT the presentation, but upon arriving the hotel room I check into is already paid for, as was the round trip that I arrived on.

So if they want to reneg if I refuse to stay beyond the 90 minutes, that means THEY actually have to sue ME to get the cost of the hotel stay and airfare back, despite fulfilling the terms of my end of our written agreement.

Call me crazy, but for some reason I don't think they're going to pursue that.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Whoops! Just thought of another issue with timeshare reneging on their written 90 minute presentation agreement:

The Disney World tickets they hand me AT the presentation, but upon arriving the hotel room I check into is already paid for, as was the round trip that I arrived on.

So if they want to reneg if I refuse to stay beyond the 90 minutes, that means THEY actually have to sue ME to get the cost of the hotel stay and airfare back, despite fulfilling the terms of my end of our written agreement.

Call me crazy, but for some reason I don't think they're going to pursue that.
Then you would likely be wrong. If your fine print is real, there is very likely something in there stating that if you don't meet the conditions of the agreement, that you will be liable for the value of the trip.

But hey, if you're willing to take that risk ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel