Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 11:14 PM

509 posts, read 555,229 times

Advertisements

I sat through "90 minutes" for 2 free nights in Vegas, $100 and a couple other things.
NOT WORTH IT
Don't bother.

You think you can just say no and go. Think again, they WILL keep you there. You can't get your vouchers for the free stuff until they excuse you. If you get up and stomp off, they won't pay for all the freebies. Legal? I don't know, but do you really want to bother with a lawsuit to get back money for a FREE vacation? You won't win, your plan posted above is quite flawed. Timeshares are sued all the time and almost no one wins. I think this may have something to do with the fact that these vacations are FREE. They don't have to give you money for something that doesn't cost money.

Remember there is always a catch.
In my case the Vegas strip hotel was at the Waaaay end of the strip. Technically on the strip, but not at all where any of the action was. We had to take cabs to get to/from the strip. The $100 was given in small American Express cards which are accepted almost nowhere. Oh 90 minutes? It was at least 3 hours and I could feel my blood pressure raise throughout. NOT WORTH IT. Don't bother.

If you get up and leave in 90 minutes and get all the promised freebies and have a wonderful time; you will be the first person ever. May the odds be ever in your favour.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:20 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
I don't know, but do you really want to bother with a lawsuit to get back money for a FREE vacation?
Considering that suing people is one of his hobbies, I'm going to guess that yeah, he does want to bother with it. Probably one of the main reasons why he's decided to go through with the "free" vacation.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:28 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjburgwin View Post
I don't consider taking my daughter on her first plane ride and her first trip to disney world to be "dragging."

For her is the main reason I am doing this.
I haven't finished reading and laughing at this crap yet, but to the OP: Maybe your time would be better spent trying to earn a few more bucks working on your online business. Or driving for Uber.

ETA: Evidently, the online business is in the 'planning stages' while OP is ripping off unemployment. Could I successfully use this method to make sure my ex-employer pays the full length of my unemployment

And he's flying himself to the Philippines to see his girlfriend - and bringing her here. Hope the daughter likes her.
Question about foreign girlfriend visiting me in the US

Remind me not to ever hire somebody from midlothian College.
. Is there anyone here in Richmond looking to make new friends?

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 08-19-2016 at 03:16 AM..

Old 08-19-2016, 04:14 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,597,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I haven't finished reading and laughing at this crap yet, but to the OP: Maybe your time would be better spent trying to earn a few more bucks working on your online business. Or driving for Uber.

ETA: Evidently, the online business is in the 'planning stages' while OP is ripping off unemployment. Could I successfully use this method to make sure my ex-employer pays the full length of my unemployment

And he's flying himself to the Philippines to see his girlfriend - and bringing her here. Hope the daughter likes her.
Question about foreign girlfriend visiting me in the US

Remind me not to ever hire somebody from midlothian College.
. Is there anyone here in Richmond looking to make new friends?

I guess that this is living proof of one of the dictionary definitions of BUSTED.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:19 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Quote:
I will sue whoever is a party to reneging on the written agreement we have, which in turn cost me money. That's the way the world works, sugar pie honey bun.

But Hilton has their money. A local TIMESHARE company is paying for my stay, so it is them that would have to sue me to get the cost back. They are not going to sue me because:

1. They know I fulfilled the terms of our written agreement

2. They know they reneged on their end.

3. They know they will lose in court

4. They know I would counter sue and get judgement against them

5. The judge would ask them what on Earth they are doing there.
One thing you have not accounted for. They have your name and number and will continue to mail, call and phone you. Don't say you will ask of them to remove it, they certainly will EVENTUALLY, but my friend that is not in the contracts and conditions. Get used to it. Do you think you are the first person to think about this? I have been tempted, because I can say no very well, especially if I have zero interest in something, but I have family members who all own timeshares, some better than others and after hearing their experiences, NO, is my answer.

Additionally, since you have yet to actually agree to this you will be required to affirm certain financial conditions that enable you to be a candidate to actually purchase, are you ready to disclose this info? Regardless of your sterling credit history, they have access to it. Not a chance I would expose myself to that either. Lastly, you have your own interpretation of their "conditions", which may not be the actual conditions per their interpretation, if you catch my drift.

Remember one thing, If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, IT'S a Duck.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:46 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,838,232 times
Regardless of what the hustle is, I have a standard one-word response to phone solicitations.

I can't say it here because of censorship, but it sounds something like "Farkoff".

Anyone who actually listens to the scam must be a moron.

And anyone who actually buys what the scammers are selling must be an idiot.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:09 AM

16,424 posts, read 12,525,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Thanks for this. Somehow I don't think Hilton is going to be too interested in a recently (possibly still?) unemployed single mechanic.

I'm still chuckling to myself that this 26 year old thinks he's been been around the block much more than me.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:33 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
I assure you, I have been around the block MUCH more than you, and Timeshare does NOT want to get sued and be ordered to pay court costs on TOP of reimbursement for the trip they reneged on, at a court date they wouldn't dream of showing up to.
Wrong. Your expert legal experience notwithstanding, they are playing a numbers games and would rather get sued by you and settle up than to pay out to the other 99/100 angry people for whom threatening to sue is a bunch of toothless bluster and bravado.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I have on several occasions sued companies that required arbitration as part of the original contract. My online business puts me in a position of doing business with many, many great companies, and the occasional unethical one, so I've been through the process more than my fair share of times.

The kicker is, small claims court judges, at least where I am at, do not accept evidence by mail, and the defendant corporation has to actually SHOW UP at the court date to get the case dismissed on account of the arbitration agreement.
The fact that you have been through the process so many times proves my point in my previous post, that an unscrupulous company is not going to cave in to your threats to sue but make you actually sue them.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Wrong. Your expert legal experience notwithstanding, they are playing a numbers games and would rather get sued by you and settle up than to pay out to the other 99/100 angry people for whom threatening to sue is a bunch of toothless bluster and bravado.
Let me clarify something here. I'm not saying that timeshare offers are fake and the company will renege on the free gifts. I've sat through a few and indeed got my goodies. I'm saying that they have a process and they will follow it and do what they plan to do, and won't be bullied into something they don't plan to do because someone is throwing around legal threats. As someone mentioned, they have been through this thousands of times and have thought it all out. They will have a process already in place for how to deal with the guy who plays a lawyer on TV, or even the guy who IS a lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel