Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 02:30 PM

50 posts, read 43,140 times

Advertisements

I am an auto mechanic. The great thing about this industry, and the reason I chose it, is there is virtually no other field where you are so in demand. You can quit your job at one shop and walk into another and have a new job in an hour.

In fact, I had no problem getting a new job at a new shop at the height of the Great Recession in November of 2008, May of 2009, and twice since moved to a new city and had a new job within 24 hours of looking.

That fact is what allows the plan I am about to lay before you to work. I 'm in a field where I can get a new job in a flash. When you're a good auto mechanic, you don't have a boss, only an employer. Your employer will never be your boss because you will never need that particular employer nearly as much as they need you.

Anyway, lets say I just lost my job, but haven't looked yet for a new one, and here's why: My previous employer owned 3 garages, one closed for lack of business. I'm layed off, he pays unemployment, which I am on now, as why work when I don't have to.

In my State, in my situation, I am eligible for my full salary for up to 180 days, but in order to keep ex-employer paying my unemployment checks, I have to show, on a week by week basis, that I am looking for work. I turn in logs of each employer I applied with on a weekly basis to the unemployment commission, and they verify I've applied with them.

So since I don't particularly like ex-employer, I'm thinking I'll let him pay me NOT to work for 6 months.

What I do is I fill out a few online applications a week, but deliberately blow it on the application. My city has more garages than McDonalds has hamburgers, so this won't effect me when I really do have to go back to work.

What I do is fill out applications online using atrocious grammar, spelling and slang, to the extent that even a person with such an in demand skill set like mine won't be contacted back for an interview. They'll take one look at my application and say "Nope."

BUT when the case worker contacts the employers I report to them that I applied with, they WILL confirm that I applied with them, satisfying the requirement that I actually look for work, and enabling me to continue to draw my ex-employer's money for the next 180 days. I think I might even take a vacation during my 6 month vacation.

Am I golden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 06:55 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,107,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjburgwin View Post
BUT when the case worker contacts the employers I report to them that I applied with, they WILL confirm that I applied with them, satisfying the requirement that I actually look for work, and enabling me to continue to draw my ex-employer's money for the next 180 days. I think I might even take a vacation during my 6 month vacation.
A UI worker MIGHT contact the employer. They are spot checked. The employer has no legal duty to waste its employee's time doing the UI department's work. Therefore, the potential employer will never respond to the UI worker even if they contact them.

YOU are the one that is required to keep proof of your job contacts.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,351,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
A UI worker MIGHT contact the employer. They are spot checked. The employer has no legal duty to waste its employee's time doing the UI department's work. Therefore, the potential employer will never respond to the UI worker even if they contact them.

YOU are the one that is required to keep proof of your job contacts.
I was a business owner for 16 years, and during that time I was contacted 3-4 times by the UI office to verify that someone had applied for a job. In every case I said no, because they had not. One guy at least called to ask if I was hiring and I said no, and he used that as having applied. As an employer I would try to help other employers and I would report your behavior, if I received such an obvious attempt to defraud with a goofy application.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:35 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,107,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
In every case I said no, because they had not.
I can assure that the UI people did nothing. The claimant would say that they applied, you had no jobs, and pitched their application, and you just don't remember.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:13 PM

13,134 posts, read 21,041,486 times
When we get contacted by unemployment on work search items, they usually come in two way.

The first is some stock letter asking to verify of a person sought employment around a specific date. These are routine spot checks and the response really depends on how easy unemployment makes it to respond. Often they write the stock "fighting fraud" "helps keep your cost down" and all that. They also mention that the person isn't suspected of anything, it's just a routine random check. We can get several a week or one or two a year.

The second method is when you get an official action stating that they are investigating fraud. These come when a person is suspected of fraud and they are now doing an official investigation. Many of these come way after a person has long collected. Some have been 3 years later. It's my understanding that the response to these notice are actually very high. I know if I was to get one, staff will do everything to respond.

A lot really depends on how serious a state is on catching fraud. Some states their system is so amateurish we don't respond because the communications was developed by someone developing Nigerian money scams. If the request is too boiler plate or burdensome because they don't want to take it seriously, it's not worth my time. Other states clearly want to fight fraud. They send a BRM postcards that ask if the named person did apply on about a certain date. They have simple boxes to check Yes, No, No Records Kept. They also ask if the person did apply was there anything about their application that was below common standards for an application? This is going towards what the OP is doing. They are trying to see if the person is going through the motions but sabotaging any chances of employment.

I have no issue with a person being arrested, fined and even jail for fraud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment