Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2016, 05:46 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,578 times

Advertisements

This will actually the first time I ever get on a plane.

I will be studying abroad for a semester in Spain

I am from Texas

What is the most affordable way I can buy a ticket?

School does not start until late January of next year.

Which airport is the most affordable to go to Spain in Texas?
Which airport is the most affordable to fly into in Spain? I hear Malaga is good?

I will be studying in

I am really neverous because I have no idea were to start. The airplane ticket websites seem very confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 08:21 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,473,484 times
How exciting for you. Don't worry, nothing to be nervous about.

Lots of questions:

Where are you going in Spain? That may dictate which airport is best.

Where are you in Texas? (I'm in NM.)

What program are you associated with?

What university do you attend?

What will you be studying or will it just be 'a semester abroad'. If the latter, why haven't the program coordinators helped you in this?

Best thing to do for a ticket is go online to airline website.

Iberia airlines may be the best way to go, IMHO.

Depending on your program, there may be supports for you in place that will decrease your airfare. Need more info.

Online ticket services like Travelocity, Orbit etc. can be tricky and you need to be careful using them. I've used them, but usually for hotel accommodations, never for my travels to Spain.

Please feel free to PM me (Direct Message).

Old 11-22-2016, 09:36 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
'Most affordable' is a pretty moving target because airlines change prices and policies so frequently, and the cheapest route will often be a multiple flight booking that sends you to Spain by way of Norway or Dubai. Go for 'good enough' with as simple connections as possible or it's going to drive you mad.

Keep it all on one ticket- one ticket can and will often have multiple flights on that ticket- say from Dallas to Chicago, and then Chicago to Madrid. If you're on one ticket, the airline is responsible for getting you to your final destination on that ticket (important in the event a flight is delayed for weather or mechanical reasons). If you use one ticket to get to Spain and then a second ticket within Spain, a delay on the first ticket can have you miss the flight(s) on your next ticket, the second airline considers you to be a no-show and cancels your ticket, and you're probably stuck paying expensive walk-up prices to get on the next flight to your destination.

Also, you're going to want to bring a fair amount of clothing and personal items for a semester abroad and a ticket involving a transatlantic leg typically has a far better included baggage allowance than one that is a domestic USA or intra-Europe route. (The European low cost carriers like Ryanair, easy jet, Wizz Air, Vueling, etc. compensate for low base ticket prices by charging very high checked bag fees)

Once you get past about January 7, airfares generally go down a bit- you're no longer in the busy Christmas holiday season and are in the winter low season for destinations that do not involve tropical beaches.

Might be worth talking to some people at the student-geared STA Travel-

https://www.statravel.com/?from_US=true

Old 12-01-2016, 06:23 PM

801 posts, read 1,514,346 times
Use Google Flights. You can list multiple cities in the departure and arriving boxes which will give you a look at the cheapest airport to fly out of.

Buying two one-way tickets may be cheaper. If you're gonna fly into a city other than the one you're studying in, check the cost of a train/plane/bus ride between the two cities because it may just make the trip more expensive.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Where in TX do you originate? (pretty BIG state...)

Where in Spain do you want to arrive? (Fairly big country)

Use Airfare Watchdog or similar for specific routing, BUT.... inter USA and Inter Europe have VERY cheap flights, so for 'Dirt Cheap', you can get creative (and go to Dubai!) That is EXCELLENT if you get a cheap Emirates fare!! They take GOOD care of you!

once in europe... use the bargain carriers (often under $30). For Ryanair, we ended up using the 'business class' fare (usually $15 - $25 more, but FREE changes, bags, seats, + early boarding.)

When living in Spain we used trains a lot (nearly every weekend OUTSIDE of Spain) Be careful... trains in Eurpoe go on strike (a LOT). NEVER return to a BIG city on Sunday night. Wait till Monday Morning, That is probably when the traffic jam is gonna clear anyway...) If you want a eurorail pass (+/-) you need to buy BEFORE you leave USA (or go to a US military PX at a foreign base. Similar with passes to historic sites. Some MUST be bought in USA BEFORE you depart.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:54 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
I use Kayak and set fare alerts for the dates I need. I did this for multiple cities in a country and then when something drops I book immediately. I've scored several flights from the US to Europe for $400 or less this way. Have a great time, studying abroad was one of the best things I ever did! oh and travel, travel, travel while you're there. Get the student pass (I forget the company who does it but your school should know) as it saves you money when you do travel. Above all have fun! Don't waste the entire trip studying...study enough to get good grades but also go out and enjoy life.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:55 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
The European ultra low cost carriers are best when you're doing a weekend trip and bathing suit, club clothes, and toothbrush can fit in a small under seat bag. Not so much on the initial overseas trip where they'll kill you in hold baggage fees for two suitcases and have limited carry on space.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
AS mentioned... Ryanair (and most budget carriers) have very affordable options for those who MUST come with luggage.

Most people who are relocating, SHIP their goods, then a carry on will do.
The premise was to USE the low cost Carriers IF you need an option, AND for every weekend during your stay (Be booking trips NOW) use the $10 extra fares that are 'changeable'. (routing AND dates). Get on the 'sale - emails' (every weds in USA, Europe will vary), Book soon, book often. DON'T WAIT!!! for ideas / plans / others. Gotta do some stuff on your own, as traveling SOLO is very EZ compared to 'Wonder what my 'friends' want to do

DON'T miss Tulips in Holland (early April) and a trip to Amsterdam and Copenhagen 3 days each will do (Each have affordable museum / event passes and good metro transit.) We got most flights from 12 to 40 Euro
Do Lisbon SOON (before spring as it is mild climate), Italy and southern France in early spring, Austria and Switzerland in late spring / early summer. Ireland has crummy weather for most of the yr. May and June are about the best months there. (personally I would have been very well to NOT do Ireland, nice, but troublesome.) Spain is quite nice in the fall, during wine season. Stay at Agritourimos. They will be memorable... (Our kids asked... "Why are there bales of hay stacked next to our bathroom?... open the 'hatch', and feed the cows!)

Get an International Drivers License for rental cars. (Italy is one of the few places that REQUIRE one, but getting stopped by Police, will be smoother if you have one (various languages). ($15 at AAA BEFORE you leave USA).
As a couple, we were gone for a yr RTW, and only had one carry-on each. When we got to cold weather we found a thrift shop (Op Shop). When we headed to Warm climates we donated our warm clothes back to the op shop.

When I fly budget carriers in USA, I wear 3 sets of clothes (like everyone else). Washable underwear (available at travel shops / REI... are very compact. 2-3 pair can fit in your pocket.

I was flying PDX> San Diego for $19.90 (seeking winter SUN), so it was cheaper to fly home than to get a hotel (which you don't need to bother with in WARM San Diego, find a bridge or big tree, or stay up all night and nap in a park by day). Spain (big country) has varied climate, from snow to Mediterranean. Our $10/ night hosts are always willing to lend us heavy clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel