Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 06:47 PM

810 posts, read 667,681 times

Advertisements

There are people out there that think Olive Garden serves Italian food. The same ones who think Toronto is the capital of Canada and that's OK. Meanwhile at Wal-Mart...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 06:53 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,834 times
What I don't get is people who only go on vacation to the same place every year, follow the same schedule, eat at exactly the same places and order the same thing, and never try anything different or go anywhere else. To each his own, but c'mon....

Old 12-04-2016, 09:01 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times
I generally agree but the ONE thing that always pisses me off is when English-speaking tourists cannot comprehend a restaurant menu in French, German, Spanish, Dutch or Italian. These languages share a lot in common with English (compared to, say, Arabic, Hebrew or Japanese). If someone is truly fluent in English, they should be able to pick up the basis of these five European languages. Of course, the Slavic languages are more difficult.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:49 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Off the beaten path...is best done with adventure in mind!

Preference is is the key I suppose. ANd I have no desire to live life in the ordinary...this goes with traveling too.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:52 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times
Amen to that, OP. One thing I learned about myself, the older I get, the less I care about other people's opinions of 'how things should be done'. Some people travel for different reasons (culture, new experience, to escape from it all, etc), and if one travels at all, no matter where, that is something to be celebrated.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:23 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
When I used to get Travel benefits, I would travel to the big cities, like NYC, Chicago, Boston, DC and walk around for a day and see the city and my girlfriend would say its pointless and boring, because im just looking at buildings. Im like, I thought the whole point of traveling is to see something different than your hometown., otherwise a beach is just a beach and petty much anywhere is just a street and building.

To this day she still says what I did was boring and stupid, even though I had a blast and others would say i was cool to spend a day in a city and be back home that night.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:45 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
I have to admit when my neighbors first told me they went with a travel group to Europe I thought to myself "Wow, what a lame way to travel". Then they showed me the photos. OMG did they have a total freaking blast!!!
LOL
And that's all that really matters.

*Former travel snob*

Old 12-05-2016, 10:57 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
Some people have always wanted to impose their will on others for whatever psychological reasons they may have to do that.

I think however it is more usually about how they phrase things/express their opinions such that it comes over as telling others what to do rather than just saying they found x or y a good way to go about something, etc. Or even if they express their opinions well, others can deliberately or accidently misinterpret or jump to conclusions. Welcome to the world .. and in particular, welcome to the internet.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:48 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
PS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I thought to myself "Wow, what a lame way to travel".
I would certainly NEVER tell someone "you're doing it wrong!"

Old 12-05-2016, 02:25 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Some people are just travel snobs. There is no "right" or "wrong" way; do what you want to do, the way you want to do it.

My boyfriend and I have traveled to Europe twice in the past 3 years and will be going again in a few months. We've planned all the details on our own in the past, but this spring we will be going on a group tour for the first time. We're going mainly to Croatia (loved it last year!) and Slovenia. We booked a 1-day side trip to Montenegro and also booked an extra day in Venice on our own, at the end of the group trip.

I think it will be nice to not have to worry about logistics and finding knowledgeable tour guides, as it's a crap shoot if you do it on your own. We've been very lucky on our own in the past, but on trips before we met, my boyfriend had some logistics nightmares and lousy tour guides. That won't even be a concern on our upcoming trip. If it turns out we're not crazy about traveling on a bus between cities, then we'll know not to do it again. But we want to give it a shot. There's plenty of free time scheduled (without the group) during the 12-day tour, so we feel we'll have the best of both worlds.

The thing is, it's our choice and nothing's right or wrong about it. It's simply a choice; a preference. Anyone who says otherwise is just a snob.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-05-2016 at 03:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel