Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 08:20 PM

420 posts, read 470,040 times

Advertisements

I think I saw that Spirit flights are cheap if you travel "bare bones" like only 1 personal belonging. Not sure if that means a smartphone only or what. Regarding back packs, would a size 18x11x5 like this one work and be considered a "carry on":

The Levi's® L Pack | Black |Levi's® United States (US)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Your Backpack (Personal Item) More like a Day pack MUST fit under the seat in front of you.
Your Coat you would place on top of the carry on, So it does not use the the carry on space.

If you need to take more stuff, you would need to Check it, Check fees vary from airline to airline and how you pay it.

Check bags have size & weight limit also.

The cost can be Free to ???, Some airlines charge more if you pay at the airport, then when you check-in you select the bag then and pay for it in advance.

Sort of Yes, Everyone get 1 Carry On, 1 Personal Item. (Some airline now charge for CarryOn's). But if you are up in first class they generally will let you get away with a little more. (You are paying 10x as much), One CarryOn and Two Personal item is not unusually for 1st Class (Biz also)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 12:53 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
I use the cheapest carry-on with wheels that I can find at Walmart, Target, etc.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:14 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
I haven't been on an airplane post-911 so I'm not sure if travel luggage pre 9/11 are still OK to use. I do not own any to begin with so I'm shopping around to see where I can get a good deal from. I've seen prices anywhere from $60 for a 3-4 set travel luggage all the way up to a few hundred bucks. Doesn't most airlines only allow 2 free travel luggage on board, depending on size and weight? So in that case which 2 luggage would you get that would make travel as smooth as possible and still be able to bring what I need to bring with me?

I've always traveled by car so it's been years since I've been on an airplane travel.
As long as dimensions are fine, one can use any suitcase. I have a bag which I purchased in 1998 and I have been using that on flights before and after 2001.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:31 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
I haven't been on an airplane post-911 so I'm not sure if travel luggage pre 9/11 are still OK to use. I do not own any to begin with so I'm shopping around to see where I can get a good deal from. I've seen prices anywhere from $60 for a 3-4 set travel luggage all the way up to a few hundred bucks. Doesn't most airlines only allow 2 free travel luggage on board, depending on size and weight? So in that case which 2 luggage would you get that would make travel as smooth as possible and still be able to bring what I need to bring with me?

I've always traveled by car so it's been years since I've been on an airplane travel.
Yeah TSA does not care and is irrelevant to this discussion.

Luggage policies vary by airline to airline, many only allow one carry-on of limited size (besides a purse or something), some are charging now for carry-ons.
All I can say is I see these travelers trying to carry everything on but the kitchen sink and fit them into the overhead storage compartments, they can't fit them in or struggle even carrying them down the aisle, bumping into everything, preventing others from getting to there seat, sometimes delaying the flight....

...don't be THAT GUY!

Old 07-10-2017, 09:09 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yeah TSA does not care and is irrelevant to this discussion.

Luggage policies vary by airline to airline, many only allow one carry-on of limited size (besides a purse or something), some are charging now for carry-ons.
All I can say is I see these travelers trying to carry everything on but the kitchen sink and fit them into the overhead storage compartments, they can't fit them in or struggle even carrying them down the aisle, bumping into everything, preventing others from getting to there seat, sometimes delaying the flight....

...don't be THAT GUY!
Lose your bag once and you'll understand why we do it, AND you'll become
"that guy"

Old 07-10-2017, 09:43 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
If you are looking for a real traveler's backpack... I have the Osprey Farpoint 55. It fits as carry-on and comes with a detachable smaller backpack... so you can use the smaller backpack as your personal item and the big backpack as your carry-on. I highly recommend it.

These backpacks do not have wheels though, but I have never had a problem carrying them on internationally or domestically.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:51 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Lose your bag once and you'll understand why we do it, AND you'll become
"that guy"
Depending on the airline, you can often gate check your bag for free. It goes on your plane with you, right then, so you know it's not getting lost. Many gate agents are really watching you board these days and will REQUIRE you to gate check if it won't fit in the bins using the bag sizer to eliminate all of the "that guys" on board. I have even had an agent at the end of the security line tell me I had to check my bag once (which was actually silly because I had flown with that bag numerous times and it was within the size requirements so they are all on the lookout for too big bags these days.

On my flight yesterday they announced more than once for people to hurry up and stash their stuff and sit down (worded more nicely than that LOL) so we could get rolling.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:59 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
I haven't been on an airplane post-911 so I'm not sure if travel luggage pre 9/11 are still OK to use<>
Modern luggage has four wheels which is much easier to handle in the transitions. Check FAA website for sizes and locking procedures.
There is, basically no free luggage anymore, your airline may vary. One carry on bag is permitted but it must fit under your seat or in the overhead. You can also carry a purse or hip pack.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:33 PM

285 posts, read 386,228 times
Get a 20" so you can go wheels-in/out on any normal sized plane and pack less.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:07 AM

2 posts, read 5,512 times
I ordered the delivery of luggage from the E-point Student Center, they relieved me of unnecessary problems and organizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel