Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 05:47 PM

21 posts, read 15,517 times

Advertisements

I saw the videos from this couple traveling the world and thought this was such a fun thing to do, to take an extended sabbatical and travel. I actually did something like this in 2010-11 and was the best experience of my life. I know a lot of people do this in Europe and Australia but quite uncommon for Americans to take gap years and travel. I think it's really an enriching experience to learn more about the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krOMC6WfjBM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 09:34 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Hard for Americans because
1, they are mostly living paycheck to paycheck, how can you expect them to not work for ONE YEAR?
2, if they had the money, they need to BUY stuff and keep redoing their HOUSEs for whatever reason.
3, they are less interested in the "world" ("our states are like different countries") or afraid of it ("Paris is dangerous" "Do people speak English in Japan"?)
4, Work culture is different that it is almost possible to take an extended sabbatical. 3 weeks is considered an "extended" vacation almost imaginable in most work places in America (unless you are a teacher or something).

However, in reality, the most travelled people tend to be Americans. Unfortunately it is very few and the vast majority belongs to the people I described above.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:03 AM

636 posts, read 392,865 times
Traveling can be cheaper than living in America.

I'm considering a 'round the world trip starting next summer/fall. I spent the last 2 summers backpacking through Europe and it was the most amazing experience. I've never felt more free or alive. Both times when the summer was over and I had to get back to work, I went into a depression for some months.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:18 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,883,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Hard for Americans because
1, they are mostly living paycheck to paycheck, how can you expect them to not work for ONE YEAR?
2, if they had the money, they need to BUY stuff and keep redoing their HOUSEs for whatever reason.
3, they are less interested in the "world" ("our states are like different countries") or afraid of it ("Paris is dangerous" "Do people speak English in Japan"?)
4, Work culture is different that it is almost possible to take an extended sabbatical. 3 weeks is considered an "extended" vacation almost imaginable in most work places in America (unless you are a teacher or something).

However, in reality, the most travelled people tend to be Americans. Unfortunately it is very few and the vast majority belongs to the people I described above.
It also depends on the comfort that people tolerates. Roughing it in hostel and backpacking may not be ideal. Frankly, it is terrifying to be in another country without enough money. That is why I only travel when I save enough money and afford a comfortable journey.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:29 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
It also depends on the comfort that people tolerates. Roughing it in hostel and backpacking may not be ideal. Frankly, it is terrifying to be in another country without enough money. That is why I only travel when I save enough money and afford a comfortable journey.
of course. We should NEVER travel on borrowed money. That would be stupid.

But like the previous poster said, traveling can be cheaper than living the US, which actually is quite expensive.

Hotels are indeed expensive, at least in rich countries. Nowadays airbnb offers a lot of option. We always assume traveling is expensive, but it is because we choose the expensive way. But for many people, traveling necessarily means 4 star hotels, dining out every day and a lot of taxis (even in cities with good public transit).

In addition, if you travel to less rich countries such as much of Asia, East Europe, it can be amazing cheap. The world is not just about a dozen country that is West Europe.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:49 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
of course. We should NEVER travel on borrowed money. That would be stupid.

But like the previous poster said, traveling can be cheaper than living the US, which actually is quite expensive.

Hotels are indeed expensive, at least in rich countries. Nowadays airbnb offers a lot of option. We always assume traveling is expensive, but it is because we choose the expensive way. But for many people, traveling necessarily means 4 star hotels, dining out every day and a lot of taxis (even in cities with good public transit).

In addition, if you travel to less rich countries such as much of Asia, East Europe, it can be amazing cheap. The world is not just about a dozen country that is West Europe.
Seems a little silly to compare the cost of travel with living cost - I guess if you rent you can give up your apt. and put everything in storage? Otherwise you still have to pay rent and many times can't sub it out...if you have a home, you must pay the mortgage and taxes on it. It's easy to say "rent it out" but if you live in the middle of nowhere no one will want to do that and you might end up with your home trashed!

So, you have to keep up your home (and have someone look in on it at least) as well as fund your travel. Once you're out of your 20's few want to live in hostels and backpack and you still at least have airfare to get where you're going to start with even if you use cheaper trains or buses once there. So yeah...it IS hard. Expense-wise and job-wise. I could never keep my job and do extended travel and I would NOT enjoy travel knowing I'd have to look for a job when finished and possibly be unemployed for months...get real.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:51 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,546 times
I would give almost anything to be able to do this. We could easily afford it and would be able to pay outright for it with no credit involved, but we are both state employees and even a two week vacation is very much frowned upon, even though we get tons of leave given to us by state law. I have over 1200 hours of accumulated leave on the books (and that's even with having had three major surgeries and taking off 2-3 weeks each time in the past 6 years) but it's not easy to be able to take more than a day off. To ask for a sabbatical of a year, and still come home to a job, isn't even feasible. We could quit our jobs, of course, but then finding something equivalent upon return would be impossible because we both have very specialized careers of 20+ years.

in the meantime, we fight for those 2-3 weeklong vacations and ones about a week in between, and travel the world. I only have three continents to go (one is Antarctica, which will be for my 50th birthday in 3 years) so we are doing pretty well for now.

So, it will have to wait until retirement in a few years. Luckily, our careers afford us retirement in our 50s-60s, so we won't be too old to do something like this.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:40 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
The only way I could see myself doing this at my age is if I had a job where all I needed was a wifi connection to work (I'm thinking web design or something similar). But the couple's videos are definitely a blast to watch!

Old 01-15-2017, 01:51 PM

636 posts, read 392,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Seems a little silly to compare the cost of travel with living cost - I guess if you rent you can give up your apt. and put everything in storage? Otherwise you still have to pay rent and many times can't sub it out...if you have a home, you must pay the mortgage and taxes on it. It's easy to say "rent it out" but if you live in the middle of nowhere no one will want to do that and you might end up with your home trashed!

So, you have to keep up your home (and have someone look in on it at least) as well as fund your travel. Once you're out of your 20's few want to live in hostels and backpack and you still at least have airfare to get where you're going to start with even if you use cheaper trains or buses once there. So yeah...it IS hard. Expense-wise and job-wise. I could never keep my job and do extended travel and I would NOT enjoy travel knowing I'd have to look for a job when finished and possibly be unemployed for months...get real.
Different strokes for different folks

I live my life around travel instead of traveling around work and a domicile.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:32 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckOfMs View Post
Different strokes for different folks

I live my life around travel instead of traveling around work and a domicile.
Good for you....as long as you can handle the depression after a trip...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel