Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 10:27 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,513,694 times

Advertisements

Afternoon all! Girlfriend and I are planning a 5 day stay at one of the Disney resorts in FL. The total price without the meal plan was $1450 and with the meal plan, 2 quick services meals per day per guest, was $2016. My question is do you think 2 people will really spend 600 in 5 days on quick service meals at Disney? I know the food there is overpriced like any park, but just wondering. I don't think it's worth it but I think the peace of mind of having meals covered and not having to buy them out of pocket at the time would be nice. At least one of th restauarants we want to go to (Rainforest Cafe) is not included in these quick service deals. Any insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 10:47 AM

61,914 posts, read 87,450,383 times
I wouldn't go with any "meal plan" . I like my freedom as when and what I want to eat. You can eat much cheaper and better than that too. There are endless possibilities and offerings, including coupons and discounts.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:04 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,483,891 times
We opted for a meal plan when we went; however, we've got 2 kids that were included. I felt like we got our money's worth but that also included a number of sit-down restaurants. It also helped us budget for the trip.

I probably wouldn't do it for an adult couple especially if it's for quick service only. Save that $600 between now and then, earmark it for food, and then spend the rest on something else (or save!).

Old 01-31-2017, 03:18 PM

7,602 posts, read 6,105,410 times
NO, you will not spend that on quick meals, but beware Disney food is expensive.
However, last time I was there, you can bring your own snacks. I suggest that you do it.

The Full Meal plan may be better, because it includes sit down restaurants.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the insight, guys. We might go for the 2nd tier meal plan, which allows for 1 quick service meal, 1 table service meal and 2 snacks per guest per day. It bright the total price to $2264, which is not all that bad. Lots of good looking restaurants to choose from, including this African place at Animal Kingdom. Tomorrow I'll be adding up 2 meals at each twice a day and seeing how much it comes out to to compare (menus and prices are available online apparently). Might still not be worth it, but it does help with budgeting.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:54 PM

2,488 posts, read 1,566,773 times
We got the meal plan last time we were there and thought it was worth it because it worked so efficiently (magic bands, etc.). If you search the Dis boards or easywdw.com they do cost comparisons (and all else Disney).
Enjoy your vacation!!

Old 01-31-2017, 08:13 PM

16,429 posts, read 12,558,288 times
When is your trip? Reservations for the table service restaurants open 180 day prior, and some of them book up FAST (particularly the character meals, and especially the really popular ones like Be Our Guest) If you're inside that window, you'll want to look to see if any of the restaurants you want are already booked up.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:52 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,567,775 times
Disney Dining Plan Calculator - Save money eating at Walt Disney World!

I used this calculator to determine whether or not it would be a good deal for us. It will save us a some (not a huge amount) of money given the places we want to eat. The bigger draw for me is being able to use the magic band for everything and enjoy not having to think about the meal aspect as much--but I also have 3 little ones to think about!

Definitely find out if the places you want to eat have reservation openings if you are within 180 days. We used a Disney planner (no cost to us and she is great) and she got up at 6 am the first morning available to get our reservations.

If you decide to do it, check out some of the big Disney blogs (like this one) to see how you can get the most out of it. There are some tricks to getting the most for your money.

the disney food blog | food IS a theme park

Old 02-01-2017, 10:55 AM

Trip is booked for September 11-17th, so we will call on March 11th to make reservatons. We are trying to go to Be Our Guest, Rainforest Cafe, Boma or The Mara and not too sure in the rest yet. We call the restaurant or...?

Old 02-01-2017, 11:36 AM

16,429 posts, read 12,558,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Trip is booked for September 11-17th, so we will call on March 11th to make reservatons. We are trying to go to Be Our Guest, Rainforest Cafe, Boma or The Mara and not too sure in the rest yet. We call the restaurant or...?
You can do it online. If you setup a profile on the WDW site you can schedule/change restaurant reservations, FastPasses, Magical Express times (if you use it), etc. and tie it all to your Magic Band. There's also a phone app that helps when you're in the parks to keep track of all your reservations and all the things you want to do and see.

The Magic Band also serves as your room key, and you can charge your meals and souvenirs using the band so it all goes on your resort bill at the end of the trip. Easier than carrying around cards and cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel