Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 07:20 AM

179 posts, read 248,700 times

Advertisements

Now that I live in a town that has a major rail going through it, I'm suddenly aware of and interested in rail travel. But I've looked into pricing, and it's pretty ridiculous. I mean, the seats themselves aren't oppressively priced, but the roomettes are (I can't sleep in a chair). So it made me wonder, why is Amtrak so expensive? I want to contribute to this keeping this form of travel alive, for nostalgic reasons more than anything, but if it's cheaper to take a plane somewhere then that's how I'll always travel.

I just really romanticize the idea of taking an affordable train trip for a vacation, and can't bring myself to pay those prices. Is train travel dying? Or is it just a rich man's method of travel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 07:42 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
For the same reason that First Class is more expensive than Economy when flying. You're using a lot of space, and getting more amenities and service.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:47 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times
If your plans are flexible check roomette prices for different days of the week. Also, with Amtrak the sooner you book your trip the better the chance of getting a lower price. Waiting to see if you can get a lower price rarely works with Amtrak. Often to get a substantially lower price you have to book your trip several months in advance.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:09 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Never done it myself but I've heard they offer significant discounts on available roomettes the day of travel. That's risky but perhaps something to look into.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:31 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Plains Guy View Post
Now that I live in a town that has a major rail going through it, I'm suddenly aware of and interested in rail travel. But I've looked into pricing, and it's pretty ridiculous. I mean, the seats themselves aren't oppressively priced, but the roomettes are (I can't sleep in a chair). So it made me wonder, why is Amtrak so expensive? I want to contribute to this keeping this form of travel alive, for nostalgic reasons more than anything, but if it's cheaper to take a plane somewhere then that's how I'll always travel.

I just really romanticize the idea of taking an affordable train trip for a vacation, and can't bring myself to pay those prices. Is train travel dying? Or is it just a rich man's method of travel?
If you only travel for short duration's during the day then a coach seat is reasonable.
If you're traveling overnight of for multiple days then a roomette is like a moving hotel room with meals, only smaller.

Rich man's travel is private jet or for the less wealthy, first class airfare.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:06 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If you only travel for short duration's during the day then a coach seat is reasonable.
If you're traveling overnight of for multiple days then a roomette is like a moving hotel room with meals, only smaller.

Rich man's travel is private jet or for the less wealthy, first class airfare.
Yes, exactly - it's not just the transportation cost, it's also the lodging. It's not cheap but if you were driving yourself and staying overnight in hotels, it's not bad.

I personally love traveling by train. Being able to get up and walk around, walk to the dining car, plenty of leg room, a place plug in phone, computer, etc. I'd do it more if I had enough time, I fly because I have limited time off work and don't want to use it all up just getting from point A to point B. I'm sure I'll travel by train a lot more when I'm retired.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:25 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
And the funny (or sad) thing is, Amtrak is subsidized by the taxpayer at a cost of about $1.5 billion a year.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:22 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Prices vary wildly from one day to the next.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:50 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
And the funny (or sad) thing is, Amtrak is subsidized by the taxpayer at a cost of about $1.5 billion a year.
ha-ha!

Old 06-24-2016, 06:26 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
As are our roads and bridges and the interstate highway system.
Do you get a tax rebate if you don't use the interstate highways?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel