Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 06:31 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,583,898 times

Advertisements

Just for fun, throw some rankings out there for these categories*

*Let's go with an anti-botticelli rule, this is all personal opinions so no wrong answer. It's fine to ask/discuss why people picked things but don't go full on travel-snob-douche.

Best travel destination for food
1. Thailand
2. India
3. USA (don't laugh, I love good BBQ)
4. China
5. Peru
Yeah, I prefer Asian cuisine can you tell?

Best for natural beauty
1. New Zealand
2. Indonesia
3. Canada
4. Sri Lanka
5. Peru
Never even been to New Zealand, just going from the pictures

Best for relaxing
1. Philippines
2. Thailand
3. Vietnam
4. Indonesia
5. India
This list probably has a lot to do with cost, my food preferences, and I like warm weather

Best for history
1. France
2. Italy
3. China
4. Egypt
5. Greece

Best for the people
1. USA
2. Philippines
3. Jordan
4. South Africa
5. Mexico

So... what are your rankings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 08:46 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,082,518 times
Like you say, opinions are like butts - everybody has 'em. I'm only counting places I've actually been, and if I don't have five places in each category, too bad.

Food
  1. France
  2. Singapore
  3. Iran
  4. South Africa
  5. Mexico
Natural beauty
  1. USA
  2. South Africa
  3. New Zealand
  4. Chile
  5. Scotland
Relaxing
  1. USA
  2. Mexico
  3. Spain
  4. Middle of any ocean - cruise or freighter
History
  1. UK
  2. USA
  3. Uzbekistan
  4. Israel
  5. France
People
  • All of 'em.

Last edited by Gardyloo; 04-07-2017 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: Added some image links

Old 04-07-2017, 09:50 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,734,474 times
In terms of people, I would definitely put Jordan on the top. I had never seen such nice and friendly people. I would return just to see the people there. The Japanese are very nice and kind too. and Portugese.

Food, I would rate Japan very high. They offer so many inexpensive choices. France is a bit overrated in terms of food I think- often a hit and miss. Thai food lacks variety. but of course they are all good.

Nature: probably USA and China. No other countries can beat their incredible diversity and beauty.

Relax: maybe home. In my couch.

History: Italy by far (sorry France, but Italy wins the regional difference. French cities are more or less the same).

------------------------
Now the bad experience:

Food: Israel is pretty bad, so is Turkey. Guess I am just not a fan of ME cuisine. Wasn't impressed by Chile/Argentina either.
People: Thailand. Sorry, as a buddhist country, so many scams on the streets, and taxi drivers are awful.
History: Canada, US.
Nature: no particulary bad ones, because if it is bad, I would not have gone there.
Relax: countries do not matter.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:35 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,042,856 times
Food:
Italy

Natural Beauty
Japan

Relaxing
Thailand

History:
Portugal

People:
USA

Old 04-07-2017, 11:05 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,177,920 times
Food:
Spain (Love the Tapas and Beer culture)

Natural Beauty
Costa Rica and Norway

Relaxing
Mexico

History:
Portugal

People:
Costa Rica and the Netherlands

Old 04-07-2017, 12:12 PM

16,097 posts, read 10,766,542 times
No rankings...just observations.

Food: You can get bad food anywhere -- avoid tourist spots. I'm not all that crazy for seafood.
Italy -- regional differences are amazing between north and south. United States -- very good if you look for it and pay attention to regions.

Natural Beauty
United States, Canada, Peru. Much of western Canada would be a national park in the US.

Relaxing
A quiet beach in the Caribbean works for me.

History: I'm not a big fan of battlefields.
Peru, Italy, SW United States, Mexico.

People: Knowing the language always helps.
Italy, Peru, Canada, Caribbean

Old 04-07-2017, 03:13 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,371,425 times
Food: France

Natural beauty: Canada (so I'm biased!), St. Lucia (Caribbean)

Relaxing: United States (more options than I could count)

History: United States

People: Japan, Germany

Old 04-07-2017, 08:03 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,884,804 times
Natural Beauty
Italy, Switzerland, Tahiti, Peru, France

Relaxing
Tahiti, Maldives, Seychelles, Mauritius, Thailand

History:
Italy, France, Greece, Spain, Morocco

People:
Japan

Food: France, Italy, Japan

Old 04-10-2017, 08:15 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,737,038 times
Best travel destination for food:
India. I love spicy food so that's a no brainer. Indian food is more diverse than most people realize. From moghul (muslim) and Portuguese influences to Chinese. If you haven't tried Indian Chinese cuisine, you're missing out big time! I'm also amazed by how well they mix spices together in a meal. Even a simple omelet was brought to a whole different level in India due to the myriad of spices they added and they made it look so easy!

Best for natural beauty
USA due to its landscape diversity. You'll find it all in this country: beautiful beaches? Sure, name your pick of sand color (black, white, brown). Snow peaked mountains? Yep. Rivers and Lakes? Yes. Deserts and canyons? Got those too.
I think China also has fantastic natural beauty, too bad mainland chinese people took a bit of getting used to for me. They're rude and obnoxious, with little regard to decent courtesy or hygiene.

Best for relaxing
Anywhere on the beach, and my favorite is Cancun. It's close by, food is great, people are even more great there.

Best for history
Italy, hands down. From the history of the church to the roman empire, to underground cities. Never been to Greece yet so that list may change after I finally see for myself.

Best for the people
I'm lucky that I rarely visited a place with not so friendly people (well, except China, but they're not unfriendly, just obnoxious). My fondest memories were from Mexico, Portugal, India, Indonesia, due to their people.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:53 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,050,536 times
Best travel destination for food
1. Spain (really, there wasn't a close second)
2. Singapore (I think this country is finally beginning to get its due- a crossroads of Indian and SE Asian cuisine)
3. Denmark (a lot more than just NOMA)
4. USA (Ok, I'm a homer, but the variety across the country is just astounding. Not just BBQ and Mcdonald's)
5. China

Best for natural beauty
1. USA (The diversity in this regard is tough to beat- from Hawaii, to Denali; Grand Canyon to Acadia; Yosemite to the Keys; Yellowstone to Smokey Mountains... it's incredible)
2. India
3. China
4. Canada
5. Chile

Best for relaxing (notice the trend?)
1. St. Lucia
2. Bahamas
3. Thailand
4. India (Andoman and Nicobar)
5. Maldives

Best for history
1. Turkey (Maybe because I didn't expect it to that extent, but I was floored by the history here- the Roman history, the blend of Christianity and Islam, etc.)
2. UK
3. Egypt
4. China
5. Greece (5b. Italy)

Best for the people (<3 Scandanavians)
1. Denmark
2. Norway/Sweden
3. Turkey
4. UK
5. Australia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel