Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 11:59 AM

2,518 posts, read 5,355,214 times

Advertisements

Why not give Oregon a miss this time? It's a state that's worth spending a bit of time exploring, so maybe you could do a road trip there another time.

Stay at the Wigwam Motel, Holbrook AZ for a night. You've got the Painted Desert nearby.

Acoma Pueblo / Sky City is well-worth visiting in Arizona.

There are several blues museums in Mississippi, if you're into the blues. The Mississippi Blues Trail - Museums along the Trail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 01:25 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Another example of gross ignorance. Dakotas? Black Hills etc. etc. Iowa? Mississippi river towns, county fairs, the real thing.

Bachslunch, look at a map and you'll see that some of the parks you suggest, like Crater Lake and Yellowstone, are waaaay out of the way, MD to AZ.
The OP said his drive included Oregon, Idaho, and Montana, and all three parks make perfect sense for those states depending on exactly where he's driving. Please don't lecture me about consulting maps.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:56 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,502,500 times
^ OK. My bad!

Old 05-07-2017, 08:25 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,528,085 times
Leave lots of flexibility in your schedule so you can take an extra day somewhere, whenever you wish. &/or to wait out any storms.

Anytime after Labor day it could/probably will snow at elevations over 5000 feet. Those fall storms usually only last a day or so & melt off.

Look at each state's traveler information sites to see where road construction with long delays will be, so you can pick alternative routes.

Stay off the interstates unless you are just trying to make fast time. There are numerous scenic byways. Enjoy your adventure.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:30 AM

11 posts, read 10,036 times
Wow, thanks everyone for all the replies. StealthRabbit, I remember your responses from my previous post and you have shared some excellent links here. The ATC sounds like a better version of Couchsurfing (for my age bracket, anyway). RoadsideAmerica.com is a foundation of my itinerary. I am timing my trip to coincide with the Balloon Fiesta! I have relatives in Taos as well but basically how I settled on a departure date was to arrive in Albuquerque for the Fiesta and then counted backwards.

Other replies...I am leaving out the East Coast because I have only so much time and financial resources, otherwise I would totally do it. Instead I hope to do an East Coast swing, say Maine to Florida, at some other time in my life (we'll see how this one goes!).

I do not want to travel 8 hours a day, and don't think I could do so day after day even if I wanted to.

For Nat'l Parks Crater Lake and Arches are on there, as well as Theodore Roosevelt and Mt. Rushmore. There are some other ones likely to be on the agenda and some smaller ones already on it.

Oregon is on the agenda primarily because I have a relative there I want to visit. I could make that part of another trip, true, but in the end I picked this part basically over going through Arizona and from Southern to Northern California. SLC, Montana, and New Mexico are all definites, so if you can kinda put those on a map and consider I'm leaving from NorCal, you can see there's flexible possibilities at the beginning and at the end.

Finally, as for Midwest/South "boring" debate...actually the Dakotas, Nebraska, and Kentucky are the heaviest areas when it comes to attractions on my itinerary. We'll see!

Old 05-08-2017, 06:56 AM

If you're heading to/from Roosevelt NP, do consider Yellowstone as a stop. It is one of a handful of spectacular american NP. The beartooth highway, US 212, connects Yellowstone to points east and is a spectacular drive.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:18 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,315 times
Agreed, Yellowstone is amazing. In fact, you could easily spend 2-3 days there if so inclined. Plus Grand Teton NP is very close by and also excellent, worth a couple days in its own right.

Haven't been, but Wind Cave NP and Custer State Park are not far from Mt. Rushmore and are supposed to be very good. Badlands NP is also in South Dakota, but again, haven't been.

Loved Arches, amazing place. Note well, when visiting the Utah NPs and Grand Canyon, it's a must to stay hydrated. Drink a lot of water throughout the day even if you're not thirsty. If you wait until you're feeling dehydrated, that's a problem. Also wear a hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:30 PM

When in Utah, well worth the detour from US 163 is this https://www.google.com/maps/@37.1692...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Goosenecks of the San Juan, a state park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel