Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 10:57 AM

212 posts, read 156,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you are only going one way, then it might work. If it is a round trip, they will cancel the rest of your ticket, so you won't have a return flight home.

If you are not going to complete the flight, please tell someone in authority, so they don't go into anti-terrorist mode, searching the plane and delaying passengers because one of the passengers disappeared and maybe deplaned because they were setting off a bomb.

Perhaps tell the stewardess or the ticket agent that you are leaving the flight because you feel sick or have an ear infection. Don't just disappear.
If you do tell someone, you get charged... That's sort of the point of this. You end up paying fees if you say you cannot make the flight. Also if you say you are sick, they end up putting you on another flight so you get a fee for that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 11:01 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

If you are not going to complete the flight, please tell someone in authority, so they don't go into anti-terrorist mode, searching the plane and delaying passengers because one of the passengers disappeared and maybe deplaned because they were setting off a bomb.

Perhaps tell the stewardess or the ticket agent that you are leaving the flight because you feel sick or have an ear infection. Don't just disappear.
DON"T Tell ANYONE...

By the time they notice you are missing from the connecting flight 2 hours later the OGG-LAX plane will all ready be turned around and off to somewhere else.

The OGG-LAX Flight will be turned in 45-60min MAX and off to its next City.

NOTE The Round Trip Warning, and NO checked bags. Also Warning: If the Overheads are full they will Gate Check (Free) your carryon and Tag it for SAN (most of the time).

Old 05-28-2017, 11:14 AM

212 posts, read 156,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
DON"T Tell ANYONE...

By the time they notice you are missing from the connecting flight 2 hours later the OGG-LAX plane will all ready be turned around and off to somewhere else.

The OGG-LAX Flight will be turned in 45-60min MAX and off to its next City.

NOTE The Round Trip Warning, and NO checked bags. Also Warning: If the Overheads are full they will Gate Check (Free) your carryon and Tag it for SAN (most of the time).
Oh yeah. I've learned the following already (I need to keep track in case I forget lol)
-Never do this roundtrip
-Do not include your FF number
-Do not check anything in (and you need to hope that they end up checking your carry on bag!!)
-Do not tell any airline employee

Also (and I don't know why people seem to leave this out)- the airlines may end up changing where you were planning to get off since they think that was just going to be a lay over for you anyway! For instance when I flew to DC, my flight was supposed to be LAX with a stop over in SLC and then to DCA. They ended up making it LAX to DFW and not SLC. It's definitely a risk.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:00 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
True,
You might wind up on the OGG-SFO-SAN Flight

If they canceled a 737-800 flight that tends to be full they will be routing people all over to get ~150 out of there. They will send passenger all over the place to get them "Home"

Send you to HNL to connect on UA or partner flight to SFO SJC SEA PDX Maybe over to AA DL etc then to SAN.

I

Old 05-28-2017, 02:15 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsinSnow View Post
Oh yeah. I've learned the following already (I need to keep track in case I forget lol)
-Never do this roundtrip
-Do not include your FF number
-Do not check anything in (and you need to hope that they end up checking your carry on bag!!)
-Do not tell any airline employee

Also (and I don't know why people seem to leave this out)- the airlines may end up changing where you were planning to get off since they think that was just going to be a lay over for you anyway! For instance when I flew to DC, my flight was supposed to be LAX with a stop over in SLC and then to DCA. They ended up making it LAX to DFW and not SLC. It's definitely a risk.
This. I had a very similar situation years ago in which I planned to be routed through MIA but then got switched to another flight that would have routed me through DFW. They let me cancel and switch after I made up some nutty story. It worked at the time, but today you better do your Hail Mary's. As I've aged, I've learned that some stuff is not worth the agita for a couple of bucks.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:05 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
I have two experiences with this. My wife was flying to meet me in Chicago but she purchased a much cheaper flight to MKE with a layover at ORD. So it wasn't the most risky thing, worst case scenario she would lose several hours if it turns out she has to fly to MKE and take Amtrak down. But everything went smoothly.

The other experience was my own Southwest flight via BWI that I think was going on to Boston. But I wanted to get out at BWI. This was in 2012. From my research, supposedly Southwest at the time was the only airline that was ok with these hidden city itineraries. They weren't openly condoning it, but airline employees all understood that it wasn't against company policy. Anyway, when I landed at BWI I informed WN employees there that I would not be completing my itinerary and they didnt seem to care or make any note of it at all. And I used points for the flight so they certainly knew who I was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel