Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 11:34 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,925,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Have you ever read how the trip there works? It's not like you get to experience North Korea. You are stuck with guards all of the time, you're only allowed to visit a certain area and the hotel is on an Alcatraz type island so you can't wander around at night. The hotel often loses power/water.
What do you mean you don't get to experience North Korea?
Of course you do. What could be experiencing North Korea more than being surveilled and having your movements restricted?
And it'll be an experience completely different than most other places that you could possibly go.

Quote:
Waste of time and money.
This is, of course, your opinion and not an intrinsic truth.
Your opinion may be different than other people's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 11:39 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,718,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, of course, but

Chilbosan is a strange place to call ugly
Ditto the architecture

I think being in a place like North Korea, which is so different from the US, would be worth it just for that experience.
I concede, it's possible to find a few good looking places to see in North Korea. But nothing is worth the hassle.

To experience something so different, a safer choice is to visit China. The landscape in Northeast China shares a lot in common with the neighboring N Korea territory.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:56 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,026,021 times
Quote:

This is, of course, your opinion and not an intrinsic truth.
Your opinion may be different than other people's
You're right.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:05 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,343,415 times
Quote:

I think being in a place like North Korea, which is so different from the US, would be worth it just for that experience.
Youd do better and see more by doing a tour of China.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:20 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,507,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeTravel View Post
I think it's safe, as long as you don't do anything stupid and follow their laws. As crazy as their government is, I still don't think they will arbitrarily detain an American.
You are either out of your mind or you are just trying to drive other posters, and possibly your parents, crazy. Kim Jong-un kills his own family for sport. Being American means nothing to dictators, how we get it in our heads that the rest of the world is our Disneyworld is beyond me. You have no business going there. If you are serious, please do your loved ones a favor and DO NOT.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:14 AM

783 posts, read 577,417 times
Quote:
I think it's safe, as long as you don't do anything stupid and follow their laws. As crazy as their government is, I still don't think they will arbitrarily detain an American.
This post is making feel less and less sad at what happens to foreigners who intentionally go to that country. You're just asking for trouble and it's so unnecessary.

In the future, when people like you get kidnapped and tortured by North Korea, I'm just not even going to click on the news story.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:48 AM

228 posts, read 162,165 times
No. You just never know when a surprise will pop up, so why risk it? Is it really worth risking your life?

Old 06-26-2017, 04:03 AM

6,587 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:

Absolutely untrue. If you are an American you are not safe. I promise you that if I was to take a trip across the border to North Korea I would be followed and just like the kid they would pull my butt off the plane, put me on trial and sentence me to hard labor. I am a former US Soldier who has stood on the southern side of the DMZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Let's assume it's safe to visit, what do you want to see?

N Korea doesn't have a lot of natural beauty to explore. Historic sites are scarce, architures are ugly, food isn't great. Maybe you are just curious about life in N Korea, but you are not allowed to leave the tour group and talk to locals.

Actually I am thinking the countryside is very pretty. The infrastructure is non-existent but the beauty of the land is there. It is pretty much unspoiled by development. There are probably hundreds of historical sites to see. Just not your history. Food there might be scarce but Korean food is very good. It don't matter if it is north of the Z or not, kimchee is made the same way. Rice is still sticky and they make mandoo soup just like my mother in law does.

In spite of all that I would like to go just as I will go see Vietnam. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Until they rejoin humanity I do not think I will go to see Pyongyang not without an M4/M16 and lots of ammo.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:55 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,227,117 times
Quote:
Fine. But I think anyone who goes should be well briefed on the dangers, the people who have been detained and then sign a document saying - you went against any good judgement and should you be detained you are well and truly on your own. We will not negotiate, pay money, risk soldiers lives, risk the good will and name of the U.S., to try to get you back.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:00 AM

509 posts, read 485,552 times
I think anyone who wants to go to North Korea should go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel