Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 10:49 AM

483 posts, read 409,701 times

Advertisements

Hello!

After Portugal next year and New Zealand the following year, I really want to go to Africa! I am going solo but trying to decide on a good first stop in Africa for a solo woman. I know that it is a big continent with many, many countries but I have a few places that interest me in mind. I am considering a safari but they are expensive and before anyone suggests it, I'm not interested in renting a car to do a self drive safari. I'm interested in getting a cultural experience but I'd also like to have some good photo opportunities. The few places of interest include, Botswana, Kenya, Ghana, South Africa, Tanzania, and Ethiopia. I'd love any suggestions or feedback especially from solo woman who have been to any of the above countries. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 11:33 AM

10,358 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Why not sign up for a lower-cost group tour safari with a company like Intrepid Travel or Wild Dog Safaris, then add on a few days at the starting and/or ending cities to spend some time exploring on your own? That would get you the photo opportunities you're looking for without doing a self-drive safari.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Why not sign up for a lower-cost group tour safari with a company like Intrepid Travel or Wild Dog Safaris, then add on a few days at the starting and/or ending cities to spend some time exploring on your own? That would get you the photo opportunities you're looking for without doing a self-drive safari.
Great suggestion, thanks!

Old 07-25-2017, 02:15 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I recommend Botswana as not only is it considered the "jewel" of Southern Africa, it is also a safe country in general. Although I traveled alone to Botswana I was met there by someone who was on a temporary work assignment in Gaborone (the capital). But I did venture out alone with no problems in Gaborone a few times.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I recommend Botswana as not only is it considered the "jewel" of Southern Africa, it is also a safe country in general. Although I traveled alone to Botswana I was met there by someone who was on a temporary work assignment in Gaborone (the capital). But I did venture out alone with no problems in Gaborone a few times.
Awesome, thank you for the suggestion!

Old 07-25-2017, 09:12 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
This may not be exactly what you're after, but there are a number of solo female bloggers who have done trips throughout Africa. Here's one that may be of interest.

https://www.bemytravelmuse.com

Hope this can be of some help.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyNatural View Post
Awesome, thank you for the suggestion!
I wanted to add that I also visited Kasane in Northern Botswana. The local lodge was able to arrange a half day land safari and later on a half day water safari along the Zambezi River which my little group lucked out to see a parade of elephants crossing the river to go to the little island in the middle in order to eat the plant life there.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I wanted to add that I also visited Kasane in Northern Botswana. The local lodge was able to arrange a half day land safari and later on a half day water safari along the Zambezi River which my little group lucked out to see a parade of elephants crossing the river to go to the little island in the middle in order to eat the plant life there.
Wow, that sounds great!

Old 07-27-2017, 12:24 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
You can get most bang for your buck by getting a Kaza Visa and basing yourself in Livingstone Zambia.

1. You can easily do safaris in Botswana. They have day trips from town that cross the river to Chobe Botswana where half the day is on jeep and the other half is on a boat down the river. You get elephants, hippos, buffalo, lions, giraffes, crocs, etc.

2. You can see Victoria Falls from both sides. Livingstone is so close that in high water season one can see the mist cloud from in town. You can also walk across the bridge into Zimbabwe to see it from their side, since you have Kaza the border is easy and free in both directions.

3. You can do the rhino walk in Zambia. They have a good reserve with rhinos right outside Livingstone, you get a guide and a guard with an AK-47 to walk you around on foot to see rhinos, including some with calves. Guide explains all sorts of tracking stuff from tracks on the ground.

4. You can get some culture since you can stay at a guest house in town instead of some resort where your only interactions with locals is them serving you papaya on the balcony. Eat at local places, shop local, save a ton of money versus Botswana.

If you want more after time in Zambia you can either head farther down in Botswana to see the delta, or even better (IMO) take the Intercape bus to Windhoek Namibia. You can get a relatively inexpensive camping tour to see both the amazing Namib desert and Etosha Natl Park for more big game including black rhinos and ostriches.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

2. You can see Victoria Falls from both sides. Livingstone is so close that in high water season one can see the mist cloud from in town. You can also walk across the bridge into Zimbabwe to see it from their side, since you have Kaza the border is easy and free in both directions.
Lodges in Kasane (Northern Botswana) can arrange day trips to Victoria Falls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel