Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:31 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,890,894 times

Advertisements

As a former travel agent I can tell you guys that you don't need to do all of this research work yourself! Travel agents work with companies such as Pleasant Holidays who offer lower contracted airfares if it is combined with hotels, etc. Be careful when you are booking cheaper flights from one city to the next to hook up with another cheaper flight to Hawaii. Your trip may be ruined if the airlines don't get you there. With a company like Pleasant they offer a special insurance plan which protects your entire trip from your origin city and they even rebook you!! Hawaii is a special place, make it a memorable one, not a guessing game. Go to a good travel agent!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 5,768 times
Smile Tips for Hawaii

Hi, you can find deals with condo owners by checking out vacation homes by owner web sites they will give you the best deals on condos. It would be cheaper to do it this way since eating out in Hawaii is VERY expensive. This way you have more freedom to do what you want. You can also find cheap deals on rental cars on expedia or travelocity. If you find a really good price on a rental car book it but keep checking back because the rental rates change every day! you can always cancel the booking if you find it cheaper the next day.
We just came back from Maui last month and we had an amazing time. I found a lot of stuff on the internet. You can find good deals on luau's, helicopter trips etc.
We stayed on Maui and it was SO beautiful!
Have a great time, I hoped this helped
ALOHA!

Old 04-01-2008, 10:42 PM

201 posts, read 1,004,066 times
Thanks for all the great advice everyone. We're planning to go either the last week of May or the first week of June. As far as what island, well I know so little about Hawaii that we haven't even narrowed that down. Maui seems to be mentioned a lot, but it seems that several are good places to go. I even contemplated a cruise that takes us to several islands, but that would be more expensive I'm sure. I think my husband would like to stay in a hotel/condo where we can prepare our own meals for more healthy dining.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:49 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Hi Nadjalou. Cruises aren't necessarily "more expensive" than other options, because you unpack once, you've paid for your room, you've already paid for all your meals, and if you don't become a spendthrift on the ship the only other real expense you have is your transportation to and from home to the ship. If you do some Googling you'll find lots of information.

TripAdvisor.com is probably the best resource for travelers. It's real reviews by real travelers of their actual experiences and opinions of hotels, attractions, restaurants, cities, etc., for everywhere in the world. This link is the opening "Hawaii" page, on which you'll find links for every location in Hawaii. You'll learn a GREAT DEAL from this site. Have fun planning!
Hawaii Tourism - Hawaii Vacation Reviews - Hawaii Vacations - TripAdvisor

Old 04-05-2008, 10:37 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,437 times
Aloha!!

I live on the beautiful island of Kauai and because I work in the travel industry, I have had the opportunity to visit other islands and stay at some AMAZING hotels. The Hawaiian islands are truly amazing and I cannot say enough good things about coming here.

Like the last poster mentioned, I would recommend visiting Trip Advisor for some advice- they are all VERY helpful on the forums.

To give you an idea about the islands...

Oahu is the most populated and visited island out of the six islands. Oahu is home to Waikiki, Honolulu, Lost and the Dole Plantation. Some people do not like visiting Oahu because it lacks the feeling of "Old Hawaii" as it contains the big city of Honolulu. However, there is a lot of cultural things to do here, such as visiting Pearl Harbor, the Bishop Museum, Iolani Palace,etc. Waikiki has HUGE hotels and tons of tourists. If you visit the North Shore, you will feel like you are visiting the Hawaii that many people dream of...Also, Oahu has the best nightlife and restaurant scene, so if that is more your thing, go to Oahu.

Maui is the in between island...it is getting a lot more populated and popular, but it has yet to reach the level of Oahu. I like Maui, but I don't love it, to be honest, but thats just my opinion. There is a lot of gorgeous scenery, especially if you visit Haleakala at sunrise, so if you want a mix of nature and nightlife, Maui is for you. There are a lot of big time hotels in Ka'anapali, that is slowly reminding everyone of Waikiki.

I have yet to spend extended time in the Big Island. People go there to see the volcanoes. The beaches aren't as good as the beaches on Maui, but there is a lot of good golfing. A lot of my friends here say that the Big Island is kind of boring, and just has a lot of lava rock. Regardless, I want to take a vacation there at some point this summer....

Finally, my favorite island- Kauai! Kauai is by far the most gorgeous of all the islands (okay so I am biased...) But look at pictures of the Napali Coast, and ask yourself how you could not love it? The law states that hotels cannot be taller than a mature coconut tree (4 floors or so), which prevents the high-rise build up that is present on Oahu and now Maui. Kauai is the most laid-back and relaxed of all the aforementioned islands, and has a great outdoors scene. If you are not into hiking, and want to experience more than the beaches, or if you prefer a nightlife, I would say go to Maui- which is the best of both worlds between Oahu and Kauai.

You could also visit Lanai or Molokai, but I always suggest to first time visitors to travel to one of the more populated islands. However, Molokai is one of my favorite places....

Anyways a cruise is a great way to see all of the islands, but I have encountered a lot of people who regret not being able to spend more time on the islands. Cruises offer a taste of the islands, but it leaves you wanting more.

If you want to stay in a condo, there are many condos listed on VRBO.com. If you find one you like, I'd recommend that you ask around about its reputation on the tripadvisor forums, just as a precaution! Also, travel agents (I also recommend Pleasant Hawaiian!) can be helpful to introduce you to the islands. Let me know if you have any questions- especially if you decide to visit Kauai!

Malama pono!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:56 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
As a former travel agent I can tell you guys that you don't need to do all of this research work yourself! Travel agents work with companies such as Pleasant Holidays who offer lower contracted airfares if it is combined with hotels, etc. Be careful when you are booking cheaper flights from one city to the next to hook up with another cheaper flight to Hawaii. Your trip may be ruined if the airlines don't get you there. With a company like Pleasant they offer a special insurance plan which protects your entire trip from your origin city and they even rebook you!! Hawaii is a special place, make it a memorable one, not a guessing game. Go to a good travel agent!!
I've been to Hawaii a number of times, my parents lived there for many years. I agree - a good travel agent is worth her weight in gold.

I have but one piece of advice: No matter where in the islands you're visiting, you'll probably go through Honolulu. If so, please go walk the rim of Diamond Head. Get right up on the rim and walk the whole short trail around.
This may be the most staggering view there is in the world, for the short time invested. You can take a city bus there and back from Waikiki (!). The walk from the bus stop to the rim is simple and really short. Your jaw will drop when you first emerge on the rim. Don't miss this one. You'll thank me!

Old 11-09-2009, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,179 times
Hey there! I am planning to go to Hawaii in 3 weeks. As I am travelling alone I would like to know what's the best spot to go. I enjoy backpacking and meeting people from all over the world. That means I don't like a totally quietness;-) It would be great to receive some advices! Thanks in advance, SIlke

Old 11-09-2009, 06:40 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
We've been to Hawaii many times. We find Maui to be the best representative of the Island life. Very scenic and a lot to do if desired. Kuai is great for plain ol getaway peaceful quiet relaxation. The other Islands are too touristy.
Hurricanes, they've only had 5 in the past 50 years or so. Maybe a few tropical storms will be seen, but rarely. The weather there is pretty constant all year around.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,972 times
Default Need help planning trip to Hawaii

I certainly agree with being precautious of vacation plans. I travelled with my parents for a Hawaiian vacation with Perillo Tours and it was worthwhile trip. I liked their prompt service. I didn’t have to break my head over touring around Hawaii. It was well organized.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:19 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Do a lot of shopping on the internet to learn what's available and how much you should pay.

I would probably do a cruise or pick only one or two islands to visit. I want to be on vacation, not packing and unpacking to wait in airports every couple days.

Check out vavationstogo.com. Have a great trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel