Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 07:16 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,719,180 times

Advertisements

I'm planning my 12-day trip in Spain.

I will arrive Santiago(SCQ), Galicia and tour the northern part of the country and leave Barcelona(BCN) at the end of the trip.

Tried to use Priceline to find the best deals for car rentals, and it turns out to be ridiculously cheap.

What's the hidden charge? It's not explained on the website. I'm willing to pay a fair price, but I need to know exactly how much it is.

https://www.priceline.com/drive/sear...By=TOTAL_PRICE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 07:20 PM

What about insurance?

Is it okay to assume my insurance at home and credit card suffice?

Old 05-23-2018, 09:59 PM

14,411 posts, read 14,334,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
What about insurance?

Car rental in Europe generally includes basic insurance protection. If you have a credit card like Chase Sapphire Reserve it adds a supplementary level of protection to the basic insurance. You don't need to worry about buying extra "add on" insurance.

I doubt there are too many catches to the rental.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:37 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,789,708 times
i personally wouldn't rent a car in Europe again. Last two times I did this, I returned to the U.S. only to receive, months later:
  • bills from the rental company for extra charges that had not been discussed previously
  • tickets from police departments for supposed traffic violations, which I find highly dubious since I specifically took care to obey all the rules
I might be wrong, but I get the feeling that these things are done intentionally because there's no way for you to contest it when you're back in the States.

I'll be back in Spain again later this summer to visit a friend for a couple weeks, but I won't be renting a car. I'll take train and bus instead.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:56 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,178,476 times
Quote:
What about insurance?

Your auto insurance probably wont extend coverage to Europe. I know mine hasn't in the past, although it has always been good in Canada.

Your credit card coverage is probably good in Spain, but you'll need to double check. Also make sure the credit card will offer the health and liability coverage that you seek for your rental. I think that most do not (they only protect your rental vehicle and not your body or any other property you might damage). Again, just double check if it is important to you.

Here is an article that offers a few suggestions if you'd like.

Does US Car Insurance Cover Driving in Europe? | USA Today

Old 05-24-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
i personally wouldn't rent a car in Europe again. Last two times I did this, I returned to the U.S. only to receive, months later:
  • bills from the rental company for extra charges that had not been discussed previously
  • tickets from police departments for supposed traffic violations, which I find highly dubious since I specifically took care to obey all the rules
I might be wrong, but I get the feeling that these things are done intentionally because there's no way for you to contest it when you're back in the States.

I'll be back in Spain again later this summer to visit a friend for a couple weeks, but I won't be renting a car. I'll take train and bus instead.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Which car rental company did you use?

I just changed my itinerary slightly. I will take the train from Santiago, Galicia to Madrid area, and then to Barcelona.

But I still need a car for my 4-night stay in Galicia because the public transportation seems to be rather lacking to explore the coastline.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Your auto insurance probably wont extend coverage to Europe. I know mine hasn't in the past, although it has always been good in Canada.

Your credit card coverage is probably good in Spain, but you'll need to double check. Also make sure the credit card will offer the health and liability coverage that you seek for your rental. I think that most do not (they only protect your rental vehicle and not your body or any other property you might damage). Again, just double check if it is important to you.

Glad to know insurance isn't going to be a big issue.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,140,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post

Do This ^^^

and... I would get an international DL just in case the rental company requires one at the counter. I had that happen in Italy. No International DL?... you MUST carry full insurance with them.

Portugal also wanted an International DL, and these are near to and similar to Spain, so best to be safe. (and covered)

I would be likely to get an 'international binder' or add a separate policy (tho I have not done so previously).
Validate with your CC the SPECIFICS of what they cover. The USA 'Loss-of-Use' claims have drive a lot of cost into rental car insurance. I expect international companies will add as well.

A friend used Costco as an international car rental option and got excellent rates this yr. (Much better than I got 2 yrs ago, I used my 'preferred "company" contract rate, which included insurance and no drop fees). "one-way rentals make more sense in Europe due to greater fuel costs and toll fees to return to your rental location.

Your price seems too good to be true ($18/day for a one way), but it could be they need to 'relocate' cars from SCQ to BCN. (in NZ and Aust, you can actually sign up to 'relocate' cars and campervans, and it often is very cheap (daily) & (including free ferry) ). I suspect there is a 'relocate' option for much of Europe (return cars to popular portals) . Would be an interesting way to plan your trips!.

BTW: Love your route!!! Nice Choice... we lived near Barcelona and did a lot of work in San Sebastian (at least once / week, usually 3x / week) and many weekends / trips along the Biscay coast.

Book some Agritourismos!!!
Keep an eye out for some free villages so I (others) can go build a 'senior community' with affordable healthcare. !!
https://www.npr.org/sections/paralle...re-going-cheap

This would really be a fun project with a few of the right people and in the right region.

Rebuild a community, give it some appeal / ongoing business support, make it self supporting and a regional asset, and leave behind a legacy / model for others to follow. Seems like a very nice 'next chapter / lasting international contribution as an 'end-game' during retirement.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 05-24-2018 at 01:36 PM..

Old 05-24-2018, 01:26 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,913,959 times
I rented cars in Europe before, including Portugal. No they aren't that expensive at all and Spain is not that of an expensive country compared to the rest of Europe (since like 20% of the country is unemployed). No catch except be prepared to drive with standard transmission.
Oh and if you get a diesel car, don't load regular gas into it. Don't ask me how I know.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:50 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,515,348 times
Quote:
I'm planning my 12-day trip in Spain.

I will arrive Santiago(SCQ), Galicia and tour the northern part of the country and leave Barcelona(BCN) at the end of the trip.

Tried to use Priceline to find the best deals for car rentals, and it turns out to be ridiculously cheap.

What's the hidden charge? It's not explained on the website. I'm willing to pay a fair price, but I need to know exactly how much it is.

https://www.priceline.com/drive/sear...By=TOTAL_PRICE
it is cheap because they are manual cars. if you rent automatic the prices are double. also get insurance. you never know when you need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel