Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 09:11 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times

Advertisements

I have never been to DR, but I’ve been to Aruba and LOVED it!! The water will be warm as it’s in the Caribbean. Cabo is in the Pacific Ocean which is typically colder than Caribbean waters. As someone else already stated, Aruba is not in a Hurricane zone. This is key for when you’re looking to go! DR gets hit and that can not only ruin your vacation but could be very dangerous! Beaches s beautiful in both but won’t matter if a hurricane hits DR!

Old 05-31-2018, 06:39 AM

988 posts, read 1,018,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Thanks all I think I’ll most likely stick with Aruba.

I’m confused though the difference between Aruba/Bon Aire/Curacao. Are they all the same country but different islands/cities?

Also ocean temperature hopefully warm enoygh to swim? In Cabos San Lucas in July it was cold water even in July despite outdoor temps in the upper 80s/low 90s.

The water temperature is perfect for swimming. Aruba, Bon Aire and Curacao are 3 different islands that are owned by the Netherlands. They are known as the "ABC Islands." I think you have a pretty strong consensus here to go with Aruba over the Dominican Republic, and I hope you have a great trip!

Old 05-31-2018, 07:33 AM

24,299 posts, read 13,145,198 times
Quote:
Thanks all I think I’ll most likely stick with Aruba.

I’m confused though the difference between Aruba/Bon Aire/Curacao. Are they all the same country but different islands/cities?

Also ocean temperature hopefully warm enoygh to swim? In Cabos San Lucas in July it was cold water even in July despite outdoor temps in the upper 80s/low 90s.
Aruba, Bonaire and Curaçao are all politically part of the Netherlands. Aruba and Curaçao are countries within the Kingdom of the Netherlands, along with the Dutch side of Sint Maarten. Bonaire is a special municipality of the Netherlands. Aruban currency is the florin (AFl) and it's the guilder (NAƒ) in Curaçao; Bonaire uses the US dollar ($). Dutch is the official language, Papiamento which is a conglomeration of multiple languages is the common language, and Spanish and English are widely spoken; most Arubans speak all four.

Each island has its own personality. I've only been to Aruba and Curaçao, Bonaire is much less densely populated and is considered a choice divers' spot. My times in Aruba (4) have been June through October, and only October for Curaçao. The water was always in the mid-80s.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 05-31-2018 at 07:54 AM..

Old 05-31-2018, 10:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
For us it would be a no brainer. Aruba was the first Caribbean Island we ever visited and it was love at first sight. It has change, must more touristy than in years past, but still a wonderful place to visit. it is different from what might think when they think Caribbean. As someone mentioned the typical weather and scenery does not exist as much, but the beauty is still there. The people for the most part are very friendly and the beaches are beautiful. We have returned many times, for both land vacations and on cruises. We never tie of the island.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:34 PM

1,261 posts, read 567,868 times
Thank you all.

I just hope I can find good non-stop flight + hotel deal from Newark Airport. What airport/resort city should I search on the travel sites for Aruba?

I still hope it has plenty of palm trees and tropical look despite being semi-desert and turquoise ocean water.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:59 PM

453 posts, read 317,893 times
Quote:
Thank you all.

I just hope I can find good non-stop flight + hotel deal from Newark Airport. What airport/resort city should I search on the travel sites for Aruba?

I still hope it has plenty of palm trees and tropical look despite being semi-desert and turquoise ocean water.
just a word of advise, DR is not dangerous, Thats something that gets repeated in the echo chambers of the internet with not a lot of proof. Cancun, Jamaica, Trinidad, and even Bahamas are more dangerous than RD. People exaggerates the dangers of walking around DR. DR is the most visited destination int the Caribbean by a lot and received over a million people on cruise ships alone and they walk about the place like nothing. Crime against tourists is very rare. Will carnival and royal Caribbean keep bringing millions of tourist to get robbed? just a bit of thinking would clear the smoke. remember all theses island are competing for your dollars and will try to woo you to their spot. specially by smearing other islands. The reason DR is so successful is because its offers bang for you money. The US government classify DR dangerous level as 2 (the same of costa rica) in 2017 the RD was ranked 99th in the global peace index while the USA was actuality worst at 114th. so there you go....

Old 06-01-2018, 05:46 PM

1,261 posts, read 567,868 times
^ I’ve been to Mexico City and Cabos San Lucas so no fear for me even though crime is considered high in Mexico. You must be cautious anyplace you visit common sense.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:27 PM

24,299 posts, read 13,145,198 times
Quote:
Thank you all.

There is only one airport in Aruba (Queen Beatrix Intl, airport code AUA). I have stayed at Playa Linda and the Holiday Inn next door. The former is a condo resort, the latter a hotel (famous or infamous for its connection to Natalee Holloway), both immediately north of the Hyatt. I liked both. Did not much care for the Aruba Beach Club (ABC). Manchebo Beach Resort always gets excellent reviews, it's a low-rise next to ABC, best beach on the island; not fancy but very nice.

The US State Department has issued a "Level 1: Exercise normal precautions" advisory for Aruba. The DR gets a "2: Exercise increased caution" advisory; other "2" places include Brazil, China, Belgium (recent terrorism), Philippines. 3 and 4 are places to be avoided (Cuba is a "3", or Reconsider Travel, and Syria, Iraq, Iran get "4" ratings).

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...dvisories.html

https://www.osac.gov/Pages/ContentRe...aspx?cid=23272

https://www.osac.gov/Pages/ContentRe...aspx?cid=23510

Last edited by SluggoF16; 06-06-2018 at 03:13 PM..

Old 06-07-2018, 07:29 AM

Exactly, here you hear people talking about it like it is a dangerous place, you only have to exercise the basic cautions you would do everywhere in the world. Some people do not really understand that even the hotels want to scare you into buying their guided tours and excursion telling you that you cannot do it on your own. Savy travelers know that and do leave the resorts on their own, Jesus DR thas over 100k Americans retired there...its funny to heard all these "travelers" talking that nonsense about the place being dangerous.

Last edited by upthere22; 06-07-2018 at 07:59 AM..

Old 06-07-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I have never been to DR, but I’ve been to Aruba and LOVED it!! The water will be warm as it’s in the Caribbean. Cabo is in the Pacific Ocean which is typically colder than Caribbean waters. As someone else already stated, Aruba is not in a Hurricane zone. This is key for when you’re looking to go! DR gets hit and that can not only ruin your vacation but could be very dangerous! Beaches s beautiful in both but won’t matter if a hurricane hits DR!
Total BS in the last 100 years DR has been hit by 3 storms directly

San Zenon in 1930
David in 1979
George 1998

you just want to scare people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel