Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 11:35 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
probably.

I also think you're giving 2 little plastic sides far too much credit for protecting things, I dont see that much benefit to it now I've been thinking about it, I just dont see where the impact would come from. I think most of the time its suitcases being stacked and thrown on top of each other that would cause damage.

If you're that convinced by it, replace the wheel and see if they'll replace the zipper on your existing case.

Edit: it is worth pointing out that there are some very very light hard shell suitcases. The Briggs and Riley Torq range, the Samsonite Cosmolite etc etc
OK thank you!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 12:24 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
I'm a longtime Samsonite devotee. I do think that the quality has declined from what they once were, but for the price, they're still very good bags. I just can't justify spending $300-400 or more for one suitcase.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:16 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I am ready to part ways with my soft-sided black Travelpro luggage, which has lasted me 19 years. At this point the zippers are jamming, the corners are ripped and the wheels have split.

In shopping around for new soft-sided luggage (Travelpro and other brands) I have noticed that all of the soft-sided luggage sold now no longer come with hard plastic panels on the sides. In other words, my Travelpro luggage is soft-sided but the sides are not flexible. The sides have hard plastic inside, which offers more protection. The new soft-sided luggage I am seeing come with totally flexible and soft sides. Why is this?

Can anyone recommend soft-sided luggage that comes with hard sides? Is Briggs and Riley soft luggage hard-sided? Or maybe I should have my old Travelpro stuff repaired. I dunno.
How hard do you want to go in the paint? This is the brand that flight crew and road warriors use

Luggage Works Stealth

Be warned, it ain't cheap!

Old 06-06-2018, 07:28 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Louis Vuitton.

They last a lifetime - you'll never be able to afford another trip!

Old 06-06-2018, 07:33 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
OMG, with the increasing bed bug issue not only abroad but even in the US, I get cheap luggage at Walmart that can just be trashed if necessary. And no, we don't stay in flop houses. But luggage comes in contact with other people's luggage on planes, and even nice hotels can have them.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:24 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
All I can say is good luck! Nothing lasts 20 years any more. Most of it is junk made in China.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:31 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Well I just called around and there's a local shop that will replace the wheels for 25 bucks each.

Maybe I should just keep these, deal with the frayed zippers, and replace the wheels. What say you guys?
I had a big rolling bag with wheels that went bad quickly. I went to St. Vincent dePaul's and bought a beatup pair of rollerblades for $2. and used two of the wheels for replacements, cutting the old ones out with a linoleum knife. I used some J-B Weld epoxy putty to lock them in place. It worked very well and those rollerblade wheels are 10 times better than the originals. Be sure to use disposable gloves with the epoxy.

Some shoe-goo, applied with a popsicle stick, might fix the frayed areas around the zipper, applied inside and outside. Don't breathe the fumes------do that outside and use the gloves.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:24 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,083,846 times
Always wonder if the quality of the TravelPro luggage sold in department stores is the same as those identical looking items that are sold in outlets only flight crew can access?

Old 06-07-2018, 07:06 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
Always wonder if the quality of the TravelPro luggage sold in department stores is the same as those identical looking items that are sold in outlets only flight crew can access?
I wonder the same thing, altho my 19 year old cases were bought at Macy's

Old 06-07-2018, 08:54 AM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
I don’t know how/where the new ones are made, and they aren’t cheap - but my Tumi suitcase has lasted two generations (got it from my mother) and probably 20-25 years now! I’ve added new luggage along the way, but that Tumi is still my favorite.

This is probably the comparable model from their current line, except that mine isn’t expandable: https://www.tumi.com/p/international...SABEgLSLfD_BwE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel