Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 04:31 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times

Advertisements

Get a Debit Card from a Bank with Global ATM Alliance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_ATM_Alliance

By using banks of this alliance, the international ATM fees is waived off.

USA- Bank of America
Canada - Scotiabank
UK Barclays
france BNP paribas.

Additionally, in Europe look for Money exchange kiosks inside Shopping Malls where locals exchange give good rates for cah exchange. Bank/ThomasCook/Post office/Airport/Train Station / Currency exchange at Hotels/Touristy Areas should be avoided as they give poor rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 04:44 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
My phone is an iPhone 6 but is locked to my Total Wireless plan in the U.S. -- it's not usable overseas.

I rarely use my phone in the U.S. (calls to/from my SO & a few other friends and family members, but we don't feel the need to talk every single day!!), so could easily go 2 weeks in Europe without one. I have looked into buying a burner (temporary) phone as soon as I arrive in the UK, but the daily charges seem really high for the extremely limited number of calls I would make (1 per day would be stretching it -- 2-3 for the whole trip is more likely -- and NONE of those would be back to the U.S., they would be work-related to companies in the UK and France). If you have some suggestions for that kind of phone (your links are mostly about using my US phone in Europe, but that definitely won't work), I would welcome them, please!

(And of course, everyone who knows me knows that I'll be traveling and knows my work email address. My booked hotels all have free WiFi, which I'll use a lot with my netbook.)

I DO have Skype on the netbook (although I have never used it), and I also have MagicJack as my home "landline." I have only used it a few times when I was in-between cell phones (old one died, waiting for the new one).
I suggest you get a Google Voice number before you leave as it will allow one to make free calls to the USA (and Canada) using wifi from any device connected to the internet through a gmail (Google hangouts) account.

Also Whatsapp is very popular in Europe and it also allows for free calls via its wifi to others who have the app on their cellphones.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:00 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I suggest you get a Google Voice number before you leave as it will allow one to make free calls to the USA (and Canada) using wifi from any device connected to the internet through a gmail (Google hangouts) account.

Also Whatsapp is very popular in Europe and it also allows for free calls via its wifi to others who have the app on their cellphones.

Very good avice. One can pre-install Whatsapp on any Tablet too and just use Hotel free wi-fi to make calls or send messages. You dont even need to bring your phone or laptop here.

https://tech-vise.com/how-to-success...n-tablets-pcs/

Old 06-25-2018, 07:05 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,603,907 times
use the debit card at an ATM, look for one that dosent charge you a fee, I think LINK ATM's don't charge a fee.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:57 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,122 times
When I travel to either the U.S. or Europe, I buy maybe £150-£200 worth of dollars or euros from Thomas Global Exchange in Liverpool Street or Bishopsgate, in London’s financial district, then use a Halifax Clarity credit card, or debit card everywhere when I arrive.
That’s no good for your query, but if I were you, I’d use an ATM at your arrival airport, don’t even think of using an airport Bureau de Change, they won’t rob you blind, but their rates will make your eyes water.
I’m in France frequently, as I have a whole slew of family there, there are ATMs and banks all over the place.
Most trains to Derby from London leave from St. Pancras station, but some, Virgin I think, go from Euston station.
If you go to Trainline.com, you’ll get some info and prices on train travel in the U.K., and even buy the tickets on line.
French rail SNCF must have an English language option on their site.
I just noticed that you mentioned that bus travel is cheaper than trains in U.K., I don’t doubt it, but although the bus, (or coach as they’re called here), can rip down the M-Ways, (freeways or Interstate), at 70-80 mph, once they get into a town or city, they’re screwed with our clogged streets and heavy traffic.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:31 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Hi, all. I'm leaving on July 1st for a business trip to the UK (July 2nd-9th), then France (July 10th-16th). I will be bringing one credit card with me (Capital One Visa) and probably my bank's debit card (the bank is TD Bank, which is based in Toronto).

Note, most of my expenses (hotels and some meals in the UK, plus the train to Paris, plus hotel/most meals in France) have been paid in advance, so I don't need a lot of cash -- just enough for buses/trains within the UK (from London to Derby, from Derby to Hull, from Hull back to London) and food (which will be simple fare most of the time).

I've read from many sources that getting foreign money from your bank in advance is much more expensive than getting the money when you get to your destination(s). So, should I get pounds at the airport when I arrive in London, then Euros once I get to France? And if so, should I use the Capital One Visa card or my debit card when I get cash?

I haven't been abroad since 2010 and I just don't remember what I did back then -- I THINK I got pounds in advance at my bank, but I pre-paid most items back then as well.

Thanks in advance!
A credit card is very useful in France and is widely accepted. I'm sure you got the Capital One card because it waives international transaction fees for converting currency.

However, many businesses in different countries want cash and will not accept a credit card. I found this to be particularly true in Germany, the Czech Republic, and Hungary. A debit card with no transaction fees is best. Such a card is available through some institutions. I have my debit card with the Federal Families Credit Union. Before traveling, I will put an appropriate amount of funds in the checking account and than use the debit card in foreign countries to obtain cash. Use the debit card in Britain and in France. Your currency will convert at exactly the exchange rate with no fees. The only disadvantage I've found is generally withdrawals are limited to $300 worth of foreign currency per day. Figure 225 British pounds or about 250 Euro in France.

Don't buy Euro or Pounds in America. You can't get out of the exchange fees. ATM machines are all over Europe. Look for one affiliated with a bank.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:43 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
I use a visa card with no exchange fees, for paying for things, as long as they accept cards. Cash from an atm, in country. I also carry a few hundred in $20 bills ( US) do not take larger as many places will not accept $100 bills for exchange

Old 06-25-2018, 12:44 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Best is to get cash at the ATM of a major local bank when you arrive.

I take multiple cards in case something goes wrong with one of them. I like to have a couple hundred in US cash that I can use in the worst case. I say worst case because exchange rates for cash at airport kiosks can be rotten.
Exactly this. I was in the U.K. and Portugal a month ago. I had 3 $100 bills with me I didn’t touch. I had maybe 50 Euros 20 Pounds from my last trip. I used a Capital One 1 1/2% cash back card with no foreign transaction fees as my primary card. I had a spare Chase United Explorer card just in case that also has no foreign transaction fees. I had my bank ATM card. My girlfriend had an ATM card for our joint account at the same bank. I hit a bank ATM once for 300 Euros of pocket money and used the credit card for almost everything. My bank hits me with a fee and the foreign bank hits me with a fee but I try to only do it once per trip. It was $10.17 in fees to get 300 Euros. No big deal.

I take the Boston-Heathrow day flight when I go to Europe to avoid overnight on an airplane. I stay at an airport hotel and walk to a restaurant. I know how to use the free bus service. I can go cashless for that part of the trip.

If I were in Europe more than my once per year average, I’d at least get a chip + pin card for kiosks. My sister is Canadian. I could get her to create a little account with a debt card for me. There are lots of places a US chip + sign card won’t work. Toll booths on the Autoroute in France and the RER train kiosks, for example. I’d also research banks with no foreign ATM fees more. My bank used to not charge but added it at the Great Recession.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:03 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
For credit card purchases, one can use also a Bank Of America Travel Rewards credit card which doesn't charge fees for foreign currency transactions.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:44 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,425 times
I'll be echoing what everyone else is saying: aim for a low/no-fee debit card. Currency exchanging in the US and the UK has obscene spreads (15 cents extra to buy a pound versus the spot/ATM rate).

If you are stuck and *must* exchange cash, the UK post offices have the best rates, IMO. I say this as someone who spent 4 years as an undergrad in the UK.

After a look at the TD website, it appears that they don't levy a fee on their debit card for foreign transactions. Their website though is quite convoluted in its information delivery. Check your debit card paperwork, if you still have it. "You may or may not be charged by TD Bank for using a non-TD ATM to complete a withdrawal, transfer or balance inquiry.*" (verbatim copy-pasted from TD) is not very helpful.

However, their reputation amongst frequent travelers is quite good.

To minimize costs, buses are a good idea (assuming the time isn't a factor) versus trains. British trains suck and are expensive for the distance versus most other countries I have visited and lived in. If you're going farther afield, domestic flights can be fairly reasonable. You can go to Scotland from £40 each way on BA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel