Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 06:22 AM

43,641 posts, read 44,361,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Why would you do that? Like I said, you can have them add pages and then next time order a passport with an expanded number of pages...
I think I read that they no longer add pages to existing passports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 07:44 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Yeah your right, I stand corrected. Service ended in 2016 apparently.
You can get 52 page passports instead.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:48 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am a US citizen travelling regularly overseas and get my passport stamped every time by US immigration officer in Houston. My last passport was completely full of stamps and I had to apply for new before it actually expired.
They stamp coming back home to the US? I've never once had that happen, even before I had Global Entry.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:49 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,569,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I believe you're correct, we heard this was going to happen so we added 48 pages a couple years ago.

Quote:
I am a US citizen travelling regularly overseas and get my passport stamped every time by US immigration officer in Houston. My last passport was completely full of stamps and I had to apply for new before it actually expired.
That is bizarre. Even when they still had manned booths they had stopped giving me US entry stamps many years ago, and since about 2016 I don't even interact with anyone who would even have a stamp since it's all electronic kiosks. Slide passport, pose for picture, it prints out a slip of paper, you hand that paper to the person on the way out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Looks like India is going electronic for visas now. I am doing an Indian "e-visa" as we speak for a trip out there in a couple months, no more sending it out my passport to the consular office and hopefully no page taken for the visa sticker.
I remember the old India visa, full page but beautiful. We did the e-visa to India last year, you got me curious so I checked my passport, there is no sticker just a somewhat oversized stamp where he writes the evisa number you have from your pre-filing. That's the India e-visa entry stamp on the bottom of page below, still a page pig but not too bad.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:13 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I remember the old India visa, full page but beautiful. We did the e-visa to India last year, you got me curious so I checked my passport, there is no sticker just a somewhat oversized stamp where he writes the evisa number you have from your pre-filing. That's the India e-visa entry stamp on the bottom of page below, still a page pig but not too bad.
Ah good, I have a question on Indian e-visa process then (sorry guys I don't mean to hijack thread):
1.) Used to be the departure gate agents would check your passport visa before letting you board the plane from the US. Do they need to verify the e-visa or otherwise any hassles?
2.) Arriving in India are there any complications? Do you just tell the "yeah I got the e-visa" and they look up on the computer? How do WE know that the e-visa is in there system, is there any document that we get and then can bring and show them as backup in case it mysteriously does not show?

Old 07-20-2018, 09:52 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,569,884 times
1. We flew to India from Sri Lanka on a local airline so I can't speak for what they are doing from US right now, for us they wanted to see the e-visa printout but didn't actually do anything to verify it was real.

2. When you submit your app you get an email saying they received it and it's processing. Later on you get another email that has all the details on it including status approved and the actual visa number (so you know it's in their system). You print that out and when arrive at immigration you hand the letter over with passport, he looks it up on computer, then stamps you in. Took 2 minutes.

The confirmation email itself gives lots info, I dug it up for you:

Dear ***,

Your application for e-Tourist Visa (eTV) has been processed with following result.

Application ID :- ***
Passport No :- ***
Application Status :- Granted
Visa No :- 90O035F1H
Nationality :- UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
You can arrive in India between 05/03/2017 to 08/04/2017. (Date format is dd/mm/yyyy).

Visa is valid for 30 days from the date of arrival in India

For any assistance contact eTV support center at indiatvoa@gov.in.

For Tele enquiries(IVRS enquiry) call at +91-11-24300666.Please use 0241380917 as key

Note:
- Please carry a copy of this e-Tourist Visa (eTV) at the time of Travel.
- e-Tourist Visa (eTV) once issued on arrival is Only Single Entry, non-extendable , non-convertible & not valid for visiting Protected/Restricted and Cantonment Areas.
- Biometric details of the applicant will be mandatorily captured at Immigration on arrival in India.

-Applicant must arrive with the same passport as mentioned above.
-Applicant can arrive at 16 e-TV designated airports only i.e. Ahmedabad, Amritsar, Bengaluru, Chennai, Cochin, Delhi, Gaya, Goa, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, Tiruchappali (Trichy),Trivandrum and Varanasi. However, he/she can depart from any of the authorized Immigration Check Posts in India.
-e-Tourist Visa is not allowed for employment, journalism and conference purposes.
-Once you have entered India, you will be subject to Indian Laws.
-This electronic travel authorization does not entitle you for guaranteed entry into India. Your entry can still be refused at the time of arrival.
-Please confirm that your ETA status is shown as GRANTED on our official website (https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html) prior to commencement of your journey
- Passport should have at least six months validity from the date of arrival in India.

Also = it says takes up to 72 hours but we submitted the app in the morning and got the confirmation later that day. IMO the hardest part of going to India right now is filling out the evisa application form, I left a lot of stuff blank since I didn't know visa number from last visit (was in previous passport), address from last visit years earlier, etc. but it still got approved no problem. If you're US citizen with no Pakistani ancestry I think it's pretty automatic.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:19 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
At some point passports will become obsolete. Don't toss them away. Hand them down to the grandkids. Some day, with everyone else throwing them away, Passports will be worth a lot of money. Antique pickers 50 years from now will be breathless with joy when they come across them in an old barn.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:44 AM

61,667 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
At some point passports will become obsolete. Don't toss them away. Hand them down to the grandkids. Some day, with everyone else throwing them away, Passports will be worth a lot of money. Antique pickers 50 years from now will be breathless with joy when they come across them in an old barn.
I always request the old passport to be sent back to me. They make few small holes in it, and send back with the new passport

Old 07-21-2018, 05:03 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
Quote:
I always request the old passport to be sent back to me. They make few small holes in it, and send back with the new passport
Awesome! As for future value, I'm guessing that the passports with more stamps will probably have more value.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:24 AM

43,641 posts, read 44,361,055 times
Quote:
As far as I know one's old American passport is returned automatically when one applies for a new passport. I have never had to request for it to be returned but it always has been returned to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel