Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 06:49 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times

Advertisements

It seems that slowly more and more countries are giving up on the stamp passport thing. They have you in the computer, so what's the point right? I guess it can be useful for local police, but in terms of immigration where everything is computerized seems like a relic waste of resources. Half the stamps in our passport we can barely read anyway, I only know what country they are from what is near them in chrono order.

Some no-stamp we've experienced:

Hong Kong
Macau
El Salvador (they stamped us in at airport, but not out overland)
Costa Rica (also stamped in but not out)
Albania

Are there many others? I wonder if in twnety more years we'll look at countries who actually put ink to paper as ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 07:02 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
NEXUS travelers (Canada and US) don't even go through the regular immigration lines, just do everything on a machine with the eye scan, stick your passport into the machine, get your piece of paper, and go.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:33 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,883,377 times
Bosnia and Herzegovina. They don't even scan the passport entering via land from Croatia.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
NEXUS travelers (Canada and US) don't even go through the regular immigration lines, just do everything on a machine with the eye scan, stick your passport into the machine, get your piece of paper, and go.
Regular travelers entering USA who are US citizens just use kiosks with slip of paper as well, I haven't actually waited in a line be processed by a human in a booth at immigration USA in several years.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:57 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Australia doesn't stamp your passport as everything is electronic there.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:10 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
See that magnetic barcode on your passport?
Yup stamps are a thing of the past. Good thing to as I actually had to get pages added to my passport at one stage (a pain to do), before I learned to buy the expanded page version when the prior one expired. Visa's are what gets me - some fill an entire page.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Visa's are what gets me - some fill an entire page.
Yep. I've got two full page China visas, one Myanmar, one Vietnam, two Thailand, one Laos, one Cambodia, one Kaza (Zambia+Zimbabwe), I don't recall if India and Sri Lanka were full page or most of a page, etc.

That chews up your pages really fast.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Yep. I've got two full page China visas, one Myanmar, one Vietnam, two Thailand, one Laos, one Cambodia, one Kaza (Zambia+Zimbabwe), I don't recall if India and Sri Lanka were full page or most of a page, etc.

That chews up your pages really fast.
India business visa is a full page including picture, Nepal is only half a page but then they have a departure sticker that takes another half (just from the way they place it). Cambodia is a full page - that's actually a cool visa with a silver like emblem on it. I have two Chinese visas in my passport. Whew they are giving 10 year business visas now otherwise I would probably have up to ten visas for each year, thus ten pages used up.

Looks like India is going electronic for visas now. I am doing an Indian "e-visa" as we speak for a trip out there in a couple months, no more sending it out my passport to the consular office and hopefully no page taken for the visa sticker.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:30 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Regular travelers entering USA who are US citizens just use kiosks with slip of paper as well, I haven't actually waited in a line be processed by a human in a booth at immigration USA in several years.
I am a US citizen travelling regularly overseas and get my passport stamped every time by US immigration officer in Houston. My last passport was completely full of stamps and I had to apply for new before it actually expired.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am a US citizen travelling regularly overseas and get my passport stamped every time by US immigration officer in Houston. My last passport was completely full of stamps and I had to apply for new before it actually expired.
Why would you do that? Like I said, you can have them add pages and then next time order a passport with an expanded number of pages...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel