Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 05:19 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
L.L. Bean makes a great walking shoe for women that's worth every penny (around $110); meant to be worn in any type of weather.
totally agree. I also like vionic sneakers. the miles active shoe is very nice and comfortable and it looks a little nicer than a regular sneaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 06:34 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamieRose View Post
Just curious why so many people think you need to “break shoes in?” If shoes are not comfortable when you buy them, no amount of wearing is going to change that.

Also agree with alternating between two pairs of shoes as suggested by another poster. This allows each pair to fully dry and air out every day.
I agree that shoes should not need to be broken in...however, I've had shoes that felt great in the store and then after wearing a few hours ended up getting a blister, etc. So i don't consider that "breaking in" but I'd rather find out any possible issues BEFORE being in a situation where I'm stuck with limited shoe options.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:48 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I remember reading that before I went to Europe, and I didn't bring sneakers. My feet hurt so much walking through Europe, but I don't think any particular shoes would have helped at that point. I did put the heel inserts in to alleviate some of the pain.

Now, after knowing what a huge difference wearing the running shoes means to my back, I would not give a rat's ass what Europeans thought of me wearing sneakers. Comfort and health are more important than trying to impress somebody. But I wouldn't wear white sneakers here or there, lol.
If I were walking 10 plus miles a day I would wear running shoes, but for supportive sandals I would add Aravon , made by New Balance, to the list.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:58 AM

40 posts, read 22,046 times
Maybe you can try Z-Trek by Xeroshoes. It's lightweight packable sport sandal.
https://www.thelookbook.ml/z-trek-the-lightweight-packable-women-sport-sandal-by-xero-shoes/

Another recommendation would be causal canvas if you don't like traditional sport shoes or sneakers.
https://www.thelookbook.ml/product/lena-casual-canvas-comfort-for-women/

Old 08-15-2018, 08:11 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Can anyone recommend a extremely comfortable and supportive shoe for 10 miles plus walking a day? I have been told NOT to wear sneakers or athletic shoes by multiple people. I tend to have back and knee issues due to poor shoes.
I'm really sick and tired of this perpetual false wisdom of not wearing sneakers in Europe - usually told by people who heard it from other people, some of these people have never even been to Europe themselves.

Once you go to Europe, you'll realize people don't care what you wear, and neither should you. Wear whatever that would carry you throughout your vacation without pain. That's it.

With that said, I wear my Skechers Go Walk everywhere I go whenever a long walk is called for. I highly recommend you buy the shoes months before to break them in, so to speak, before wearing them for your trip. Be very, very honest with yourself when selecting shoes. Go with what your feet tell you, not fashion or other silly reasons.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:56 AM

80 posts, read 182,090 times
Try Mephisto shoes. https://www.mephisto.com/us/ It is a European brand super comfortable. I have some Mephisto shoes specifically for city travel when long walks are expected.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:02 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
I do wonder how Europeans manage to walk so much and yet NOT wear traditional sneakers/tennis shoes? Are their shoes just "better"?

Do Americans just not have ANY shoes other than sneakers that can be walked in for more than a few blocks?

Old 08-15-2018, 09:37 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamieRose View Post
Just curious why so many people think you need to “break shoes in?” If shoes are not comfortable when you buy them, no amount of wearing is going to change that.

Also agree with alternating between two pairs of shoes as suggested by another poster. This allows each pair to fully dry and air out every day.
Everybody knows you don't wear brand new shoes on a hike. Walking a few feet back and forth to check out the fit when you are in the store buying them doesn't give you enough time to know how they will fare on a long day of walking everywhere. All shoes adjust and mold to your feet as you wear them and that is what you want before you take them on walking tours.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:49 AM

10,358 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I do wonder how Europeans manage to walk so much and yet NOT wear traditional sneakers/tennis shoes? Are their shoes just "better"?

Do Americans just not have ANY shoes other than sneakers that can be walked in for more than a few blocks?
Because they walk all the time, Europeans have everyday shoes that fit well. They have to! Because most Americans don't walk long distances regularly (or on hard, uneven surfaces like cobblestones), we're more likely to be caught by surprise when we go on vacation only to find out then that our everyday shoes don't fit quite right.

A shoe that works fine for walking a block or two may leave you foot a blistered mess if you try to go ten miles in it.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:04 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Sneakers ARE a bad choice for 10 miles. They lack arch supports and support for the ankle. The former, in some cases, can be fixed by a good pair of insoles. I do my longer distance walking with "approach shoes" that have a general purpose Vibram sole and good arch supports, reinforced with insoles. They are light and not at all clunky. Google on "women's approach shoes".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel