Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 03:37 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times

Advertisements

Yellowstone park and seeing Old Faithful.

Ridiculous prices to get into the park.
Miles of bush and bumper to bumper traffic.

Old Faithful:
Trying to find a parking spot pulling an RV was a feat in itself.

Sitting and waiting with hundreds of other people (if you're lucky to get a seat) in the baking sun to watch it go up for about 30 seconds. No higher or more exciting than a spray of water from a fire hose.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I must say that the Grand Tetons were beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 05:07 AM

5,211 posts, read 6,147,251 times
While I haven't traveled as much as some of you, at 58 I feel I have definitely been around the block both in the US and Europe......the US from age 4 thanks to wonderful parents who liked to take to the roads.

Now I won't say it is a growing disappointment but my perception of travel has changed dramatically over the years.

I guess it's more of my feelings than the way things are but the trend of having to wait in lines at so many places and the custom of what I call fast passes at these places is growing. From the Empire State Building to the Cathederal in Barcelona, the need to book way in advance on the internet or pay more for the so called fast passes is dramatically changing the way I have learned to travel. It is much harder to just hit the road now and stop and see the sights. A recent trip to Spain and Portugal found this to be an increasingly growing trend!

Granted I realize being an older traveler who has seen many sights years before travel has gotten so popular so it might seem like I am complaining but not really. I just must miss the simpler and quieter times of traveling in the past.

Two links about this growing trend below:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser..._New_York.html

https://fastpasstours.com/19-eiffel-tower

Old 12-26-2018, 05:43 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Yellowstone park and seeing Old Faithful.

Ridiculous prices to get into the park.
Miles of bush and bumper to bumper traffic.

Old Faithful:
Trying to find a parking spot pulling an RV was a feat in itself.

Sitting and waiting with hundreds of other people (if you're lucky to get a seat) in the baking sun to watch it go up for about 30 seconds. No higher or more exciting than a spray of water from a fire hose.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I must say that the Grand Tetons were beautiful!
must not have ventured very far past the parking lot?

Old 12-26-2018, 05:49 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
must not have ventured very far past the parking lot?
We went in on the South entrance and out on the East. Beautiful scenery as we were leaving the park. Spent the night in Cody which was nice.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:57 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
When I travel, I do a lot of research beforehand. I tend to get the most out of the experience that way. Going on walking tours led by locals, connecting with people there with whom I share interests, dining at spots that locals go to, walking/hiking through areas of natural beauty, trying activities that locals enjoy, meeting the local people if possible, that's what makes travel enjoyable. It's truly incredible to me that someone could say, "Meh" about the Grand Canyon - one of the most incredible and amazing natural features in the world - or find NYC, probably the most vibrant, culturally rich city in the world, disappointing. But I suppose if all you do is drive to the south rim tourist area, and stand at the edge on a cloudy gray day, and get back in the car, it would be dull. How about PLANNING a visit, and reserve to stay overnight at the lodge at the base of the canyon, and hike down at a good weather time, and hike or ride a burro back out the next day? For NYC, how about planning a visit with museums, shows and shopping according to your budget, visits to places that interest you?

I guess you get out of travel what you put into it. My time and money are worth something to me, so when I travel, I plan a lot, to get the most out of it. I've almost never been dissatisfied by any of my trips. Come to think of it, the only one I was dissatisfied by was a honeymoon trip to an all-inclusive in Barbados. We were so exhausted from work, school, wedding that we thought a week at an all inclusive beach resort would be best. Boring. Should have taken a cruise instead, but we didn't know as much then. And before the internet, it was MUCH harder to do any kind of research about travel. Now, with all the resources available to us at our fingertips, it's your own darn fault if you have a disappointing trip.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:57 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
A few of mine

Milan
I am CRAZY about Italy, but after seeing the ancient and medieval wonders of Rome, Venice, Verona, and Florence...well... there is not much in Milan outside of the Duoma and Castle Sforza. I didn't care to stand on line to see the Last Supper, or go to the lake, as we have plenty of those in the US. Milan is a big, modern, fashionable and self-important place. I don't care for any of that, and about the biggest thrill that I had was running into a nice statue of Gieseppe Garibaldi.

Las Vegas
I love going to the desert for its infernal beauty. Then you get to Vegas, and are assaulted from all angles by a tacky sort of anti-elegance which just is not good for the soul. Does anyone really have a good time losing their shirt gambling? I am not into meth, hookers, or glitzy shows either. You can have it.

LOS ANGELES
What the hell exactly is Hollywood, anyway? A sign in the hills, an amusement park tour, and a sidewalk with stars all over it? Other than that, drug addicts, perverts, gang members and other assorted deadbeats give it its character. What a dump.

THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING
Has just lost a lot of its significance. Last time I went to NY, I stumbled onto it and did not even realize that I was looking at it.

TIMES SQUARE
My wife did not even believe that was all there was to it--some glittzy signs and people running around in costumes.

PORTLAND, OREGON
This has all the makings of a beuatiful, unique, sleepy and yet vibrant little city with its own local color, and it has some of the best food I have ever eaten. All of that is utterly ruined by the hordes of meth-heads running around causing trouble. Far from dissuading them, the locals seem to think they make he place avant-gard or something. A part of me adores this place, but I just can't patronize a completely lawless city.

I have a few others, but I would love to hear some of yours instead!
That's exactly what it is, plus a bunch of chain restaurants and shops that you can find in any suburban town in the United States. New Yorkers are often perplexed as to why people from elsewhere would want to go there when they come to the city.

As for the ESB, it is the most distinguishable landmark building that lets you know you are looking at the NYC skyline. The other point of it is what you can see from inside of it, not what you see looking at it.

That said, I worked in NYC for almost 40 years. Grew up 30 miles NW of the city. Was inside the ESB for the first time in my life last Spring when I had to go to a meeting at a company located there.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:43 AM

1,584 posts, read 982,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's exactly what it is, plus a bunch of chain restaurants and shops that you can find in any suburban town in the United States. New Yorkers are often perplexed as to why people from elsewhere would want to go there when they come to the city.

As for the ESB, it is the most distinguishable landmark building that lets you know you are looking at the NYC skyline. The other point of it is what you can see from inside of it, not what you see looking at it.

That said, I worked in NYC for almost 40 years. Grew up 30 miles NW of the city. Was inside the ESB for the first time in my life last Spring when I had to go to a meeting at a company located there.
I also think the ESB is a really interesting building from an architectural standpoint. It’s not as obviously wonderful on the outside as, say, the Chrysler Building, but I think it’s pretty fine on its own, in fact underrated. It’s also got some nice Art Deco touches inside as well, if memory serves. The view’s fine from there, though one good thing about going to Top of the Rock for a panoramic view is that the ESB is part of that.

Agreed about Times Square, though.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:27 PM

1,517 posts, read 991,344 times
Quote:
I think Hawaii is way overrated. I get it if you aren't near any nice beaches, but I live in Alabama, and am just a few hours by car from some beaches which are every bit as nice (or nicer) than Hawaii's. Hell, I can get to the Leeward and Windward Islands faster than I get to Hawaii.

I live within a couple hours' drive or so of hundreds of miles of very nice (uncrowded!) public beaches myself.

Hawaii has its charm if you venture away from them and the other tourist attractions and explore farther in-island, little backwater towns and such and there's a lot of interesting obscure stuff to see there that tourists/tourism guidebooks routinely ignore. For example the WWVH site (though probably not for much longer) if you're a radio geek and happen to be on Kauai. You sure won't read about THAT in Fodor's. Thing about Hawaii is to get the most of it you need to just avoid the touristy spots altogether and make your own adventure. Though that could be said about really anywhere.

Problem is, everything's expensive as F there. That's my biggest gripe with Hawaii.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:10 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
NYC for sure. And Paris. Those are two cities that I would not want to go to again. Granted, I visited both cities before the Internet was available for looking into what to do and what not to bother with... but I found them both dirty and overwhelming.

San Francisco, with the exception of the Golden Gate Bridge, was also a disappointment. I didn't realize how filthy it would be.

(I am not a city girl, in case you couldn't tell, LOL. I did enjoy Boston, Washington, D.C. and London, though.)

Most impressive for me has been driving through Big Sur. Incredible views and the photos could not possibly do them justice.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:00 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,121,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
NYC for sure. And Paris. Those are two cities that I would not want to go to again. Granted, I visited both cities before the Internet was available for looking into what to do and what not to bother with... but I found them both dirty and overwhelming.

San Francisco, with the exception of the Golden Gate Bridge, was also a disappointment. I didn't realize how filthy it would be.

(I am not a city girl, in case you couldn't tell, LOL. I did enjoy Boston, Washington, D.C. and London, though.)

Most impressive for me has been driving through Big Sur. Incredible views and the photos could not possibly do them justice.
The only reason I didn't mention SF is because I live near it.

SF is a trajedy, because it used to be a big amusement park on a summer weekend day, and the people who lived there really did think of it as "our city." I actually got that quote from a guy being interviewed after the '89 quake who jumped in the middle of the road and began directing traffic during the chaos. A reporter asked why he did it, and he said "because that is how we think of the city. It's our city."

Now it is an open sewer, and the people who used to make it great have all left for greener pastures, trying to find a place like SF used to be.

Sorry you didn't see it in the 80s and 90s, when it really was a wonderful place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Florence, Milan

In general, Italy is a huge disappointment.
I got to say that other than Milan, I can't imagine a better place than Itlay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
^^^Wow, sorry you felt that way about Italy. We spent a month there in various spots and loved it all. With one exception: The Vatican. Worst, most crowded, appalling tourist spot EVER. Paid for "skip the line" and still stood in the hot sun (In April) for hours, then shoulder-to-shoulder shuffling, seeing nothing. I felt trapped and claustrophobic to the point of sickness. Then LATER I find out our ticket was also for St. Peter's which was not printed on it, so we never visited that once we saw the same mile-long lines in place..
50/50 on the Vatican. I have seen big churches all over America, Italy, and Peru, and was not all that wowed by the biggest church of them all, but I liked the museums where they have all the ancient statues of Emperor Tiberius, Emperor Claudius and the rest of the gang. And It's right by Hadrian's tomb. I was trying not to laugh the entire time because my wife kept asking in every room "It this the Sistine chapel?" I also got a kick out of the art snobs trying to talk as the church guys stood there yelling "Silencio! Silencio!"

A historical note: There used to be a huge Roman pyramid where the Vatican now stands that they tore down to use for stone for St. Peter's Bascillica. I would rather have seen that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

The Grand Canyon, at least from the overlook I was at, which I don't remember now. It was grayish, not colored like the postcards, and I could not sense the depth or grandeur. Really a let-down. But maybe we were not at the right spot or time of day. I'm sure I would have felt differently on a river trip or hike there. Since we lived and rafted on the Utah portion of the CO river.

Glad to hear good things about Greece, since that is scheduled for May.
I was just tired from driving all day to get there. I am not sure I could do it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
We just visited Rome and I'd not expected to like it, being a city an all. Turned out I really like Rome! I'd possibly even live there if given a chance.

I'd expected to enjoy the Sistine Chapel, expecting some sort of amazing place. Well, I mean, it's the Sistine Chapel, right? Big echoing non-architecturally interesting barn! Did have some nice paintings although they were way, way up on a ceiling that had an overall effect of being overly gaudy.

Never did get any closer than six layers of people to the Trevi fountain. It was fun to people watch there, though.
Rome overall has got to the most amazing place on earth. Whereas I could do without Trevi Founain, my wife was delighted by it, I think mostly because Shakiri danced in it in some video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
So much I agree with, so much I disagree with. It really is true that a lot depends on your expectations, a lot depends on individual preferences, and a lot depends on what kind of trip you had. So I hope nobody is reading these and letting them influence future travel plans.

Disagree:
-Lake Garda, outside of Milan. I have not been there (have been to Milan) but wait wait wait. A friend travels to northern Italy yearly as he married a woman who was born there and has lots of family there. They also visit Lake Michigan yearly, so it's not like they've never seen a big lake. After their last trip, he could not stop raving about how beautiful Lake Garda was. So maybe that shouldn't be dismissed so quickly because "America has lakes". (Otherwise, yes, Milan is not the destination that Rome and Florence are).
Well, I am going back in April and still don't intend to see the lake. So whereas I appreciate your advice, I am declining it all the same.

Quote:
-L.A. - this is also a place I had low expectations of. And I was only there briefly, but I could see that there was a lot more appeal to it than I had always thought. And I have well-traveled friends who love it there, so I believe them..
More elbow room for your well-traveled friends, then, because they won't be seeing me there.

Quote:
-Florence. I would have almost agreed after my first trip to Italy, during which we did a whirlwind, one afternoon tour of Florence. Meh. But on our second trip to Italy (with older relatives who called the shots), we stayed in an apartment in a residential area walking distance to the city center. And what a different impression I got this time! Still not quite Rome, but it was lovely, seeing it at different times of day and really getting to see how the locals live and work.
I noticed the same thing---you can't do Florence quickly. I think because so much of the good stuff is inside in the museums. Hope I get more time this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
The area surrounding the Bay Area in California, totally unimpressed. None of the good parts of the bay area transcend to the area within a half-hour or so, totally devoid of what makes the Bay Area special.
If you ever get back, rent a car and drive down Highway 1, from SF to Santa Cruz. Stop in Santa Cruz, park in the downtown area, and walk to the boardwalk and free-entrance amusement park, which had both and old timey quality, some sweet rides, and free admission.

It is one of the best drives around, there between the mountains and ocean, and if you are not having fun in Santa Cruz, you are already dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Downtown Seattle isn't that glamorous, but I keep going back to Seattle for summer vacation.

I absolutely love the San Juan Islands and Olympia National Park.
The only time I saw Seattle was when I was trying to film the WTO riots. Hard to fully appreciate a city when you are brawling with proto-antifa types and being detained by the secret service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Oh...San Francisco. I thought the people were incredibly rude. Don't care to ever go back there. That would be my one "meh".
See above. It is a real shame, because it is not the place it used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
A thread on pretty much the same topic was a recent long-runner in this forum:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/travel/2981436-what-most-overrated-tourist-sites-youve.html

At the time, I posted the following for my choices:

Disneyland, especially at its price point
Thanks, I checked out that thread.

The only thing I like in Disney is the Haunted Mansion, and somehow, that always makes it worthwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Casa de Giuletta and Juliet’s Tomb (Verona)
But the Roman ampitheater and the castle sure are cool!

Last edited by cachibatches; 12-29-2018 at 09:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel