Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 06:19 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Dubai (booked)
Seychelles (booked)
Cape town*
Puerto Rico*
Quito*
Greece*
Costa Rica*
Seqoia National Park*

* = Based on what's already booked, no clue if I'll make it to any of these other places. Might have to lay low for the rest of the year.

Side note: I still have yet to visit NYC
I've been to Costa Rica and Quito. Both are amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 09:26 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,582,290 times
* Cincinnati, OH
Baltimore, MD
Louisville, KY
Montreal, Quebec
* Czech Republic

* = Hopefully but I'm not sure yet

Old 01-04-2019, 09:50 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,895 times
Had an expensive travel year in 2018 so we need time and money to do some much needed work on our house.

So just three weeks in Vietnam in March and a week at Hamilton Island in September. Something else may come up!!

Old 01-06-2019, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 666 times
Default Perfect Decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Oh man, puhhhlleaaseeeeee! Don’t get me started on this one. I am telling you, you just touched a nerve there.

Dreaming about (and convincing my brain to open up my wallet) for a 10 days blitz in Turkey to eat all that Turkish Food in Istanbul as done by Mark Vines in his YouTube video, and then over to Cappadocia to do the cave hotel living and hot air balloon thingy.

Also, JUST dreaming about (and NOT going to open my wallet or better put, use my credit card); a trip to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Bisbane and Hobart. A few days in Cape Town and Durban, water bungalow in Maldives or Bora Bora. Obviously a couple of weeks in Egypt to see the Giza Pyramids, Alexandria, and Sharma Sheikh. And this Japan thingy has also been an on and off itch, but since I am dreaming, why not?
Actually, you can do even better than just Istanbul and Cappadocia. Please let us know the dates at travelatelier.com and we will be glad to assist travelatelier.com

Old 01-06-2019, 08:45 PM

233 posts, read 230,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
The only thing I know for sure is a week long camping trip in August. I always go. The cheapest waterfront vacation you can ask for and I love it. The only downside is you have to book so far in advance because other people book sites as soon as bookings open up a year in advance. I don't have that kind of flexibility and literally got THE last waterfront site available---and I think that is because it says "tent only" which cuts down on the people trying to get a site. NYS has fantastic campgrounds.
That totally reflects my own experience during my "active" years of camping (9 to 10 years ago) LOL. I would literally set up alarm clock so that when the clock hits midnight, I would be able to lock down my reservation for my favorite camp site through Reserve America.

Totally agree with you on NYS having some fantastic campsites. Just to name the ones I have enjoyed staying at: Woodland Valley (deep in the Catskills, near trail-heads for some impressive hiking trails), North-South Lake(by a lake, very scenic), Bear Pond State Park (the closest mountain campground to NYC).

The one that I have always dreamed of going but so far have not had the chance of visiting is Indian Lakes. There are a number of sites that are actually siting on small islands in the middle of the lake!!! You actually need to take a canoe and load up all your campground and supply and paddle yourself to the island. Will do that after my kid grows up so we can do that together!!!

https://newyorkstateparks.reserveame...=NY&parkId=649

Quote:
Other than that, I am thinking about taking a trip in May. My husband started working on a degree so my time is very narrow. We were talking about going out west this year. Can anyone recommend some national parks/outdoorsy areas that are good for travel in mid/end of May?
I have not stayed at any campground out west yet so no suggestions from me. But there are a few superb cabin campsites in the East: Janes Island State Park in the Delmarva peninsula (stay in full service cabin and row kayak/canoe to a nearby sandy beach by the Cheasapeake bay), Cayo Costa State Park (rustic cabin, one of few virgin islands left in Florida, need to take a ferry ride to get there), and Bahia Honda State Park (full cabin, in the Florida Keys, very tropical feel). Reservations for the full service cabins are extremely competitive so plan ahead and good luck!

Old 01-06-2019, 11:34 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Dubai (booked)
Seychelles (booked)
Cape town*
Puerto Rico*
Quito*
Greece*
Costa Rica*
Seqoia National Park*

* = Based on what's already booked, no clue if I'll make it to any of these other places. Might have to lay low for the rest of the year.

Side note: I still have yet to visit NYC
wow !
Are you retired or how?

How do you get so much time off?

Old 01-06-2019, 11:36 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelatelier View Post
Actually, you can do even better than just Istanbul and Cappadocia. Please let us know the dates at travelatelier.com and we will be glad to assist travelatelier.com
Well, Hello,

What do you guys specialize in at travelatelier.com and what services do you provide?

Old 01-07-2019, 06:42 AM

715 posts, read 1,074,271 times
2018 saw a lot of domestic travel, but nothing international. I want to change that for 2019. Portugal, Greece, and Morocco are at the top of my list of choices, but I may go somewhere totally different depending on what I come across. Costa Rica has been persistently popping up in my mind, and through coincidental conversations, so I may heed the call.

For 2020, if I can work it out, I’m planning to go to Venice during Carnival. I’m told you need to plan a year out from the event. So I’m keeping that in mind with this year’s planning as well.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:53 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Nothing solid yet, but possibles are FL in March to visit friends, a short last minute cruise out of FL, a car trip to MO to visit relatives. Several long weekends in NC to visit the new granddaughter.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:20 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,313,126 times
So far nothing exotic compared to many here, just a trip to the Atlanta area and Florida Panhandle in late February. DH is retired and one of his retirement wishes is to visit as many NASCAR tracks as possible so we are going to a race at Atlanta Speedway then down to the Destin area for a few days. One thing I am really looking forward to is a day that we have planned to visit the Audubon Preserve on Dauphin Island in the Gulf near Mobile Bay followed by a walking Southern food tour in Mobile that incorporates getting to watch a Mardi Gras parade from the balcony of an Antibellum home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel