Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 11:13 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,677,344 times

Advertisements

Anyone visited there at all?

Was strongly considering making plans to hike the Inca Trail at some point. Though I do not know if there are similar, cheaper, not involving camping hikes surrounding Cusco, or Huayna Picchu, etc., that would be preferable. Anyone that has insights from venturing to this area, please go ahead and advise.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 04:52 AM

Okay. So, here's my primary dilemma, I would appreciate some feedback and ideas, even if you have not been there, but especially if you have.

Idea 1, my first thought process, was to do the 4 Day/3 Night Inca Trail. Now, if I am doing that, it will be truly epic. Of that, I am certain. However, it may also be quite exhausting. I am also not quite certain how my spouse (or me, really) will respond to the high altitude

However, Idea 2, is to do an abbreviated version of the Inca Trail in 3 days. Day 1 would involve I believe going to Pisac and the Sacred Valley. Day 2 would involve roughly 5 hours of hiking on the Inca Trail, and staying overnight on it too. Day 3 would involve hiking to Machu Picchu at sunrise (probably similar to the other route also). The perks of this option would be it being perhaps easier, cheaper and taking us to Sacred Valley, while also giving us an extra full day with Cusco as a base, or just to wander Cusco itself. Of course, I don't think we could truly say we "did the Inca Trail" then, and I think there really is something to that.

Anyways, which option do you think is best?

Thanks!

Old 01-30-2019, 05:28 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
OP, I have no idea of your age or fitness level but when I went in my early fifties and 30 lbs overweight, I’m almost positive I wouldn’t have been able to walk that trail as I struggled with the altitude. One thing I’ve learned since then is that getting some chlorophyll drops from the health food store and taking them for a couple of weeks prior to the trip would have helped because it helps your body build new red blood cells. I will add that I’ve been to Colorado several times and didn’t have a bit of trouble but the Andes is a whole different thing.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:25 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
I did the "classic" Inca Trail, 3 and a half days and 3 nights. This was November 2010, and I was in my early 30's. Me and a friend spent 3 or 4 days in Cusco to help acclimatize to the altitude and basically explored the city and did day trips from the city, including one to Pisac, which I guess is the beginning of the Sacred Valley, on the east end.

The first day of the hike was not that bad at all with a gradual elevation gain to Wayllabamba Camp from KM 82. Day 2 was the "killer day" where you go up and over Dead Women's Pass, 13,828 ft. (4215 meters). I took my time, you can also hire additional porters to carry your backpack, I didn't do that, but many people do. Once over the pass you descend quite a bit to the second camp site, Sayacmarca Camp.

The third day wasn't too bad, some elevation gain (more than Day 1), but nothing like Day 2. The third camp site was at Winay Wayna Camp, and we woke up early to do the last mile and a half to get to the Sun Gate at sunrise. We then had the entire day to explore the ruins. My friend did the optional hike up Huayna Picchu, where you need a ticket. I just wandered around the ruins. We then spent the night in Aguas Calientes and took the train/van back to Cusco. Spent an additional night in Cusco and then flew back to the States.

I'm glad I did the classic/traditional route, but if I ever go back I would probably try other routes, there are a few and they are just as spectacular as the original (hiking in the Andes is amazing!). Thankfully, neither myself or my friend got altitude sickness. Altitude sickness is very interesting, in that there seems to be no rhyme or reason why some get it and others don't. You could be a world class athlete and in the best shape of your life and still get it or be totally out of shape and not get it.

Last edited by cjseliga; 01-30-2019 at 07:38 AM..

Old 01-30-2019, 07:45 AM

Thanks for your comments!

To the first poster: Regarding altitude, I am not sure how my body will respond nor my wife's, but I do appreciate the input. We previously have visited some places at elevation of 8000 feet (Lassen Volcanic in CA Sierras and Mexico City). I didn't have trouble, and I don't think my wife had trouble with the altitude as much as she struggled with the Air Quality in Mexico City.

Regarding shape, I would say I am in pretty good shape at this point. I am 27 y/o (not that that matters though. my wife is 28), and I run/hike frequently. At this point, I am not in as good shape as I was before, but if I needed to run 10-15 miles consecutively at this point, I could. My wife is in the process of training for her first half marathon, and she is doing decently with that at this point. Previously, we haven't been at altitude like this, but we have done lengthy hikes. On weekends or full days in a city, or even at Disney, it isn't uncommon for us to log 10-15 miles of walking. We did Mount LeConte in Tennessee (5.1 miles each way so 10.2 total, 3000 feet of elevation gain) in the course of about 6 hours (4 up, 2 down). I know that this is different altitude, though.

I am glad to hear your advice. How interesting is the route along the Inca Trail? Are there sites and things of interest along the way? Do you think the original route is so spectacular that is worth it to pursue that above anything else (even missing Sacred Valley or other spots)? Just how difficult is ascenting Dead Women's Pass compared to what I describe? I know you go slow.. is it still hiking or a graded path? Or is it more like bouldering/rock climbing where equipment would be needed? Anything else I should know about being out on trail (animals, resources, etc)?

Thank you!

Old 01-30-2019, 08:08 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Anyone visited there at all?

Was strongly considering making plans to hike the Inca Trail at some point. Though I do not know if there are similar, cheaper, not involving camping hikes surrounding Cusco, or Huayna Picchu, etc., that would be preferable. Anyone that has insights from venturing to this area, please go ahead and advise.

Thanks!
I was there 2 years ago. What are you looking for?

Old 01-30-2019, 08:33 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
How interesting is the route along the Inca Trail? Are there sites and things of interest along the way? Do you think the original route is so spectacular that is worth it to pursue that above anything else (even missing Sacred Valley or other spots)? Just how difficult is ascenting Dead Women's Pass compared to what I describe? I know you go slow.. is it still hiking or a graded path? Or is it more like bouldering/rock climbing where equipment would be needed? Anything else I should know about being out on trail (animals, resources, etc)?
There are various sites/ruins along the way, Day 1, you can see Patallacta across the valley in the distance and on the way to Wayllabamba Camp we stopped by Llactapata and explored that for a bit. Day 1 is very "chill", where you basically are hiking up a wide valley along the Rio Cusichaca with huge mountains on either side.

Day 2 is hiking up a narrower valley and gaining some serious elevation. We saw llamas at Llulluchapampa, which is a scheduled rest area along the trail. They have various stops on Day 2 to rest and take a break. I do remember lots of switchbacks along that section, but the trail is very well maintained, no scrambling over huge boulders or rocks or over a scree field, if you know what I mean.

Day 3 is a little up and down and you get to see Puyupatamarca, a small little terraced ruin, Winay Wayna, a much larger ruin and Intipata, the last two are basically side trips after you get to the Winay Wayna Camp.

The first two days we had perfect, mostly sunny weather, the 3rd day has mostly cloudy, but no rain and the day at Machu Picchu was partly cloudy. You can basically "walk" the entire route on Google Maps, to see what the trail looks like. We had 12-14 people in our group, all 20 and 30-somethings and all made the hike with no issues. Our porters, carrying all the tents and cooking stuff, were basically from a single tribe and get to the camps way before you do and set everything up. The 3rd night, they baked us a real sheet cake, and it taste great, to this day I still don't know how they did it, didn't see anyone carrying an oven!

Now this was 8 years ago and I forget the company I used, not sure if it is still in business, but I want to say the hike cost $350-400. We also stayed in Cusco for 4 days before and one day after, so the entire trip was at least 9 days, I believe. Not sure what the total cost of the trip was, I'm definitely a budget traveler, but at that point, my friend and I, just finished working a contract down in Antarctica, so we had plenty of time and some money to explore and happened to already be passing through South America on our way back north to the States, which helped being "in the neighborhood".

Old 01-30-2019, 08:59 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,474,457 times
I'll preface my post by saying cjseliga's advice sounds spot-on from what I've read.

I visited MP about 6 years ago with a tour group so it was nothing like what you have planned (though now that I've been once I definitely want to go back via the Inca Trail).

The only comment I'll add related to your plans are that everything I've read says to give yourself 2 days to acclimate to the altitude in Cusco first. We had one college-aged and healthy member of our mission team that was completely waylayed with altitude sickness for about 18 hours. Lethargic, vomiting. She recovered well enough to make the train trip but she wasn't in great shape. We spent only one day at MP and the Sacred Valley and I can't imagine her trying to hike. All that to say, you're probably going to be fine, but if it is a concern, talk to your doctor about getting an altitude sickness medication beforehand and plan on spending 48 hours in Cusco (which is great advice anyways as it's a worthy stop).

Also, there are government limits to how many travelers can use the Inca Trail at any given season. Plan well ahead so you can secure a spot on whatever you decide to do.

And one more thing...you might enjoy reading Mark Adams' book Turn Right at Machu Picchu that recaps his journey along the Inca Trail and throughout the Sacred Valley. Great book.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:45 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,373,099 times
If you don't really want to do a multi-day hike with camping, there is a one day hike that will take you along the Inca Trail and in through the Sun Gate (Inti Punku). Look for the "KM 104" hike (or "Kilometer 104"). The train drops you near KM 104 early in the morning and you start your hike from there. You get to the Sun Gate in the afternoon and spend the night in a hotel in Aguas Calientes, then have the next day to explore Machu Picchu. Some tour operators call this a "two day hike", but you are really only hiking the Inca Trail for one day.

You miss most of the ruins that the three day hike goes through. But if you are okay with that, then this hike is a reasonable alternative.

My wife isn't a hiker, so we went the easy route (took the train all the way to Aguas Calientes) and had 1 1/2 days (two nights) at Machu Picchu. It was still a fantastic experience and something I would recommend to most anyone.

The biggest concern is altitude sickness. No matter what you do I strongly advise you to start the trip with an overnight stay in Cusco (minimum one night, perhaps longer). That gives your body a chance to acclimate to the higher elevations. At 11,000 feet Cusco is actually at a higher elevation than Machu Picchu (8000 feet). Besides, it's an interesting place to explore.

And if you really want to be adventurous, look into hiking up Huayna Picchu. You have to book that one well in advance as they limit the number of participants. Definitely not recommended for those with a fear of heights!

Old 01-30-2019, 09:48 AM

Thanks for that additional detail and context from both of you! I am really looking forward to my trip! I still haven't decided 100% yet what we are going to do, but this helpful. We do arrive at 4 PM on our 2nd day of travel, so between sleeping a full day, and then sleeping, right now we would have about 40 hrs. from our arrival in Cusco to our first day out on the trail. Should that be adequate, or would an additional 24 make a significant difference? I guess it's different for everyone, so it's hard to say I suppose, but I just wanted to get an idea. Our porter said 24-48 hrs., there was no way I was just gonna arrive in Cusco and start the next day.

Whatever we decide, as per your point, we plan to decide soon so that we book while there is still space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel