Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 12:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

Hey, at least there is usually GREAT broadband in most 3rd world countries I visit. (More than I can say for my (3) USA sites WITHOUT internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 03:51 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I am beginning to think that labeling an entire country as "third world" got left behind in the 20th century. In many countries, even ones called "developed", parts of the country or perhaps just the cities fall into the category of developed or developing. Other parts of the country fall into the category of what we used to call third world or underdeveloped.

There are dozens of examples of this in countries that used to fall into the big basket called third world: Brazil, Indonesia, Malaysia, China, Iran, Turkey, Chile, Mexico, Panama, etc, etc.

The economic divisions between more prosperous urban and poor rural are getting wider, even in the USA!
Not really. Third World implies no infrastructure or completely failed infrastructure. Haiti. Afghanistan. Chunks of sub-Sahara Africa. Bangladesh.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:15 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
What purpose does it serve to have the words
(cycle, ideas)
appended to the title of this thread?

And then when I refresh the current page, they are replaced by
(hotels, cathedral)

which do not appear elsewhere on the page.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:06 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious question View Post
Tell us your experiences traveling in third world countries.
Extremely friendly.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:31 PM

801 posts, read 452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
My social security income is about the PPP of Peru or Sri Lanka or Indonesia. Who do you think I am trying to fool?
You said exactly what I was going to say so I don't need to say it.
The poster is just like the people of Latin America - he thinks all Americans are rich.
I am living on around $1100 a month yet some think I'm rich because I'm a gringo.
Believe me if you walk around with a fancy watch and clothes and jewelry in a fancy car they will KNOW you're rich and you may or may not be a target, based on what parts you are living in.

But if you dress humbly and drive a modest car etc you are much less likely to be robbed or thought of as a "rich gringo". If you speak the language and make local friends, then you'll be even better off.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:34 PM

801 posts, read 452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
This might surprise you but I have zero interest in what your motivations are fool anyone, was replying to someone else who's post indicated efforts to look local and hide wealth while on vacation.
I was not referring to hiding wealth while on vacation, I was referring to act and live more humbly while LIVING IN a developing or 3rd world country.

And yes there is a difference between looking like a rich American, flaunting your wealth, vs. looking humble and not flaunting one's wealth.

And just for the record I am living on around $1100 a month so I don't have much to hide.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:47 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
If you're an American (or European, Australian, etc.) living in a 3rd world country most locals will assume you have money, regardless of your lifestyle.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:57 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,305,017 times
I find first world America more dangerous than many third world countries.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:15 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Definitely france is the worst. Be sure to remove your kick me Im american sign off your back if going. Arrived by train last time I was in Paris. an older man grabbed out bags and took off with them, claiming he was taking us to a taxi, as if we could not find it ourselves. If you understand french pay attention to what they say about you while smiling at you. Lots of regular middle class looking foiks that seemed to have great economic stress causing them to pester tourist for a way to make a buck.

Been to a lot of third world counties none turned me off as much as the french.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:48 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
Here's a test. Go to McDonalds on a main highway, at lunch time, and sit and watch. Everyone that comes in is American. See if you can guess which diners are locals, and which are travelers. Check their license plates when they leave, to see if you are right.

People who are away from home have a very conspicuous body language that they cannot disguise to look local..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel