Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 10:33 PM

3,101 posts, read 2,003,983 times

Advertisements

Hard to predict weather, but on March 14, I'll be driving from Ft. Collins, CO to Wilkes-Barre, PA... & returning 1-2 wks later... & am trying to choose the best route this time of year. As a note: I spent my life driving in New England blizzards, so I'm not afraid of snowy roads, but looking for whatever might make 1 route better/faster/safer/easier than another.

Even though I-80 is a toll road, it is 120-mi shorter than taking I-70... 240 RT, which would be nice. I'll do the drive in 3-days, since I'm a girl driving alone & like to get off the road before dusk. But, would there be any better reason to take 70 instead? I figured there might be someone here who regularly travels either road. If it matters, I have a Honda CRV... it seems to drive well in any weather, so far.

Also, going out, I'm fine. But, there's a small possibility that my mum may be coming back with me on that 3-day return trip to stay in CO for 1-2 wks. She's 87, so every 2 hrs, needs to stop to stretch out and/or use the rest room. I know to stop at McD's if I need to, but it's often faster to use the rest stops for easy on-off hwy access. So for the return trip Re: Hwys 70 & 80, does 1 have more rest stops than the other or more fast food places than the other, in case she needs a bathroom?

Thank you very much! I appreciate any help... advice or websites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 11:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Keep an ear on 511 highway conditions.

I would vote a round trip... or I-80 slightly shorter (tolls minimal)

Having done the route Ft Collins to North Platte, NE daily for yrs...

Head out 14 towards Briggsdale / Stoneham / New Raymer and pick up I-76

You will find plenty of Bathrooms either route! (stop often)

Thank goodness you mum has you! (My poor 87 YO mum has to deal with me! just as she trained me (she owned several OTR trucks))

1) I much prefer to drive at night
2) My car will go 1250 miles between fuel / bathroom stops (Gotta hold it)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-03-2019 at 11:20 PM..

Old 03-04-2019, 05:53 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Stealth with the iron bladder!

A.Typical.Girl, I'm originally from Scranton, but I think I would check the weather, and although I-70 might me longer, you might avoid some early spring snow storms that could slow you down.

If the weather is all clear, probably take I-80, since you would hit less major cities than I-70 and not have to deal with crazy traffic, depending on the time of day of course.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:10 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
We should have a sticky or something:
1.) Watch the weather forecast a day or two before traveling for bad weather predictions and use this to plan accordingly.
2.) Use google maps to plot your routes (it will plot quickest route, including traffic considerations, you can also plot out rest stops and restaurants).
3.) Start car, put in drive, travel route.

You aren't crossing the Arctic with the Scott expedition, but well maintained US highways. You will have no problem.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Keep an ear on 511 highway conditions.
Those are great sites, than you so much. I had no idea 511 was available for each state.

Quote:
1) I much prefer to drive at night
1) I understand, SR. I suppose it depends on the reliability & comfort of the vehicle. As an inner city dweller relegated to street parking most of my life, my tiny tin cans on wheels (Yugo, 2 seater Geo Metro, etc) rattled my fillings on long drives, so it was nicer to drive in daylight with a view, to relieve my brain from feeling beaten up by the time I reached my destination.

2) Wow, I believe you've won the travel award! I like to stop every 2-hrs or so anyway, just out of boredom & to provide some relief for my lower back. Only takes 5-min & bonus is there's no surprise puddle underneath the seats.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
A.Typical.Girl, I'm originally from Scranton, but I think I would check the weather, and although I-70 might me longer, you might avoid some early spring snow storms that could slow you down.

If the weather is all clear, probably take I-80, since you would hit less major cities than I-70 and not have to deal with crazy traffic, depending on the time of day of course.
Thank you, cj. I'm from the area, too. When I lived in Boston, I used to visit W-B regularly... so my route was Mass Pike to 84 to 81, which I know like the back of my hand... even drove it during nor'easters & hurricanes.

The cross country northern route is different & although I've been cross country many times, I generally opt for the southern route... been across 10 through 40 more times than I can count on 2 hands.

My current GPS was an upgrade 4-5 yrs back from the most basic model Garmin in existence (like comparing stick figures to a Renoir), including traffic assist, so I'm routed around accidents, which is amazingly helpful. By the time I need a new one, I'm sure they'll be something with weather assist, if there isn't already... haven't checked out new models yet... I'll wait 'til mine needs burial at sea. There are times when being reliant on technology is very appealing... travel is one such time.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
We should have a sticky or something: Start car, put in drive, travel route. You aren't crossing the Arctic with the Scott expedition....
No sticky needed... you've replied to nothing at all that I've asked. Perhaps consult GMaps yourself to navigate the vast differences of the Arctic with the good ol' USofA. Boy, it doesn't take but a moment before the prickly dowagers descend... must be cabin fever for you ol' folks.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
No sticky needed... you've replied to nothing at all that I've asked. Perhaps consult GMaps yourself to navigate the vast differences of the Arctic with the good ol' USofA. Boy, it doesn't take but a moment before the prickly dowagers descend... must be cabin fever for you ol' folks.
Yeah.. there probably is a 'best-weather-route' app / option for GMaps. (just like no tolls) or there SHOULD be!

(I sure miss 'Campermate' app from NZ!)

Chances are VERY good you will have clear sailing, but... weather does happen!

My parents ran (6) trucks / week from SFO to Rochester, NY. Stuff happened (even worse than weather).

Old 03-04-2019, 06:56 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
I've driven both between Colorado and New England, they are both kind of boring. I would check the weather a day or two before you go and then choose your route.

3 days is plenty of time to make it an easy drive. My road trip advice is pack a cooler with sandwiches in case you are hungry and there is no good food, I also bring an alcoholic beverage to enjoy in the hotel after I grab some takeout and relax from being on the road. I do try to plot out where I plan on staying so I have a destination to focus on and am sure I'm somewhere safe.

Happy and safe travels!

Old 03-05-2019, 09:01 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Oh really?

Quote:
but looking for whatever might make 1 route better/faster/safer/easier than another..
Google maps will tell you fastest and safest route.

Quote:
So for the return trip Re: Hwys 70 & 80, does 1 have more rest stops than the other or more fast food places than the other, in case she needs a bathroom?.
Google maps search feature will tell you rest stops and fast food places.

Quote:
Hard to predict weather, but on March 14, I'll be driving from Ft. Collins, CO to Wilkes-Barre, PA... & returning 1-2 wks later... & am trying to choose the best route this time of year. As a note: I spent my life driving in New England blizzards, so I'm not afraid of snowy roads, but looking for w
No one can predict weather a week from now, the most accurate source like I said will be weather forecast a few days before travel.

And YOU ARE WELCOME grouchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel