Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 01:22 PM

4,246 posts, read 4,760,624 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to avoid vacations over major holidays lately but need a short getaway soon and it looks like I'll be scheduling something for Labor Day weekend.

Initially I was going to return to Secrets the Vine in Cancun as the food there was pretty great (I'm a foodie) and it was adults only so no kids and so it had a pretty relaxing vibe overall.

I decided to try somewhere new instead and was settled on going to Clearwater Beach, Florida as it's a short flight away from me, appears to be a gorgeous beach with pretty sunsets, and is known for having pretty amazing restaurants very close to the beach. I just need ~6 days to break away and recharge. In looking at photos online lately, however, I'm starting to think more and more that it's going to be reallllly crowded (read lots of reviews on Tripadvisor about this and things like loud music on the beach; most of these comments were centered around holidays).

I fully understand that by choosing a major holiday to travel my options to get what I want (nice beach with pretty waters, good food options, but semi-quiet for relaxation purposes) might be restricted because it's just natural lots of people will also be vacationing during the same time. I'm starting to open up to other options but no clue where else to look into at the moment...any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 02:17 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,597,287 times
Maybe Sarasota instead? Hour south.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:24 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,527,469 times
Labor Day in CB isnt too bad as schools are back in session, reducing the number of families on vacation. I've never experienced loud music on the beach the many times I've been there. Near Pier 60 there is some as it's a entertainment area with street musicians and such.

I would also look at Aruba for something different, but at this late date unless a last minute deal was found, airfare and rooms may be pricey.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Maybe Sarasota instead? Hour south.
Thanks...might look into that...not familiar with Sarasota beaches but as you mentioned, it's only an hour away so they must be nice too right?

Old 07-15-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Labor Day in CB isnt too bad as schools are back in session, reducing the number of families on vacation. I've never experienced loud music on the beach the many times I've been there. Near Pier 60 there is some as it's a entertainment area with street musicians and such.

I would also look at Aruba for something different, but at this late date unless a last minute deal was found, airfare and rooms may be pricey.
So you think it might still be worth a visit? I was looking at a Wyndham hotel; not sure how close that is to Pier 60 but I'd imagine pretty close.

I went to Aruba last summer (not a good trip so I'd love to perhaps do a redo one day) but you're right...at this time Aruba would probably be too expensive.

I'm awaiting some points to post and two checking account cash bonuses to also post to help fund the trip so I do have a little bit of flexibility with price as hopefully I won't be paying a ton 'out of pocket' so to speak.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:56 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,477,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Thanks...might look into that...not familiar with Sarasota beaches but as you mentioned, it's only an hour away so they must be nice too right?
If you want to avoid crowds, that's not the place to go, especially if heading to Siesta Key beach, but most any of the beaches, this time of year, near and around Sarasota, will be crowded. I know, I lived in Sarasota, 5 minutes from Siesta Key, for six years. I loved the area, but, it is a tourist area and they swarm there a good 8 months out of the year. Finding parking is usually a nightmare.

Oh you might want to try Madeira Beach, I used to go there sometimes, not as crowded as St Pete or Clere Water Beach.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
So you think it might still be worth a visit? I was looking at a Wyndham hotel; not sure how close that is to Pier 60 but I'd imagine pretty close.

I went to Aruba last summer (not a good trip so I'd love to perhaps do a redo one day) but you're right...at this time Aruba would probably be too expensive.

I'm awaiting some points to post and two checking account cash bonuses to also post to help fund the trip so I do have a little bit of flexibility with price as hopefully I won't be paying a ton 'out of pocket' so to speak.
I've been there over Labor Day a couple times and didnt find it busy as it is over spring break. Of course there are no guarantees what it may be like this year, here or anywhere else.

CB is very compact and highly walkable with everything of interest, the hotels, beach, restaurants and shops being no more than a mile away. You wont need a car, just use Uber from TPA at approx $30 each way. I use Pier 60 as ground zero, the center point. The Wyndham and Pier 60 are less than a quarter mile apart. Use Google maps to get a lay of the land.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:38 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,924,670 times
Just remember this - you know all those old folks in Clearwater that are driving the wrong way at 20 MPH under the speed limit?

Their parents live in Sarasota.

That's meant as a joke, but the west coast can be busy with snowbirds and the retired. But it is peaceful compared to the east coast of Florida.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
That's meant as a joke, but the west coast can be busy with snowbirds and the retired. But it is peaceful compared to the east coast of Florida.
The OP plans on going over Labor Day, the snowbirds havent" flocked" down there yet.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:32 AM

27,646 posts, read 28,745,041 times
Quote:
I decided to try somewhere new instead and was settled on going to Clearwater Beach, Florida as it's a short flight away from me, appears to be a gorgeous beach with pretty sunsets, and is known for having pretty amazing restaurants very close to the beach.
I went to Clearwater Beach in December. It is nice but it was pretty crowded then.

You might want to look for a less touristy place nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel