Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 11:16 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,695,142 times

Advertisements

I'm sure most of you have heard United is canceling 10% of flights within the US. 20% international.

When they cancel flights what method goes into this? I'm assuming capacity. If a flight is only 40% now why assume it would be higher come April. That would get canceled.
Maybe an airlines has 3 flights leaving an airport at 8 am & all 3 are currently at 40%. Would they possibly cancel 2 of the 3 & focus on putting everybody on that one flight.

Just kinda curious because I'm flying in late March & currently the flight is booked.

Also if they do cancel my flight am I in a position to get my $ back for the flight or do they just try and give me credit for a future flight? I don't hardly ever fly so a future flight versus what I'm paying really isn't a good deal for me. I'd just want my $ back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 11:44 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
There are a lot of factors that go into cancellations, including where they need that plane to be. If they cancel a morning route, it's going to affect the rest of the flights that plane was scheduled to fly.

Given the current circumstances, airlines are being quite accommodating. More than likely, they'll attempt to reschedule you to another flight. Otherwise you'll probably be offered credit for a flight within a fixed amount of time. It's highly unlikely you would get your money back.

Old 03-08-2020, 11:46 AM

5,179 posts, read 3,095,263 times
It’s all uncertain now. Under the existing rules (Congress might force a change) nonrefundable tickets can be exchanged for a voucher, minus fees, for future travel up to one year from the date the original ticket was purchased. Some people claim they called to cancel and received a refund, but the airline doesn’t have to do that. If the flight is cancelled by the airline or the schedule changes by more than an hour, then they have to offer a full refund.

I read somewhere that flights which originate in the U.S. and land in the EU are bound by the EU rules which are far more generous, does anyone know if that’s correct?

Old 03-08-2020, 03:20 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,695,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
It’s all uncertain now. Under the existing rules (Congress might force a change) nonrefundable tickets can be exchanged for a voucher, minus fees, for future travel up to one year from the date the original ticket was purchased. Some people claim they called to cancel and received a refund, but the airline doesn’t have to do that. If the flight is cancelled by the airline or the schedule changes by more than an hour, then they have to offer a full refund.

I read somewhere that flights which originate in the U.S. and land in the EU are bound by the EU rules which are far more generous, does anyone know if that’s correct?

Good info to know. This was the kind of stuff wondering about.

Old 03-08-2020, 03:36 PM

6,460 posts, read 3,983,103 times
Is there a reason you expect your specific flight to be canceled? If there are three flights all going to the same place at the same time and you expect none of them will be even half full, why are you concerned about not getting to where you need to go (on one of those flights, if not the specific one you booked)? Is this a destination you need to be at on that specific flight (that certain time) or there's no point in going at all, hence why you would need a refund rather than a re-book? I'm just a bit confused why you're so worried about this; I don't know of anyone who has ever had anxiety about whether their flight would be canceled randomly, unless they had a reason to think it would be (bad weather coming, etc.).

And yes, come a closer time to the flight, plenty of procrastinators will have booked. At this point, they have at least a month to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Well, which is it? Does the airline refund the money, or not? First you say the airline doesn't have to refund, then in the next sentence you say they do.

Old 03-08-2020, 04:31 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Well, which is it? Does the airline refund the money, or not? First you say the airline doesn't have to refund, then in the next sentence you say they do.

He's giving the outcome for when YOU cancel versus when the AIRLINE cancels.

Old 03-08-2020, 06:01 PM

6,460 posts, read 3,983,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
He's giving the outcome for when YOU cancel versus when the AIRLINE cancels.
But the OP is concerned with whether the airline cancels... it doesn't sound like they themselves plan to cancel.

Old 03-08-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
But the OP is concerned with whether the airline cancels... it doesn't sound like they themselves plan to cancel.

Then go by the second outcome. The guy was trying to show you the contrast in the two scenarios.

Old 03-08-2020, 06:22 PM

382 posts, read 366,106 times
Strictly domestic airlines are not cancelling anything at this time or offering refunds/vouchures.

Old 03-08-2020, 06:36 PM

Not until they hear the B word. (Bailout)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel