Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 12:00 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,848,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
Strictly domestic airlines are not cancelling anything at this time or offering refunds/vouchures.
False. Spirit is the only US based airline that has not announced that they will not enforce penalty provisions for passengers cancelling reservations. I have a JetBlue flight scheduled in a week that I can cancel for a credit with no penalty fee, much more generous than the restrictions on such a thing a week ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 12:31 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,655,273 times
British Airways canceled our Portugal to Athens flight. In the email, I could click on "refund" or "reschedule".
Got all my money back and rebooked with a other airline. This was pre virus.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:54 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,684,366 times
I just read yesterday that Delta will allow changes without penalty for tickets purchased March 1 to March 30. I thought that date restriction was crazy. Why allow free changes for people who book NOW, when everyone knows about corona? I booked on Delta a couple months ago for my son and his wife to come visit us March 21. I would understand if they want to postpone (especially because she is finally pregnant after trying a long time). But because I booked before March 1, Delta's normal change penalties would apply.

Old 03-09-2020, 10:13 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I just read yesterday that Delta will allow changes without penalty for tickets purchased March 1 to March 30. I thought that date restriction was crazy. Why allow free changes for people who book NOW, when everyone knows about corona? I booked on Delta a couple months ago for my son and his wife to come visit us March 21. I would understand if they want to postpone (especially because she is finally pregnant after trying a long time). But because I booked before March 1, Delta's normal change penalties would apply.
That is exactly the problem I am having. I can't change my flight from Houston to Dublin because I booked it January 6th! WTH?! Do they expect us to have ESP?

Old 03-09-2020, 11:19 AM

12,874 posts, read 22,050,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That is exactly the problem I am having. I can't change my flight from Houston to Dublin because I booked it January 6th! WTH?! Do they expect us to have ESP?
It's not about you though, it's about them. They're seeing declines in bookings due to the uncertainty around the virus, so this is an attempt to alleviate that a bit and boost those booking. If you've already booked, they have your money, so no need to extend the flexibility.

I have a BOS-LHR flight booked in May which I reserved a few weeks ago - no flexibility on that front (I'm not canceling, so I don't care). When I got the email from Delta, I booked two more trips - one domestic, one international. So the strategy is working even if it doesn't help people who booked months ago.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:22 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post

Because they aren't doing it for your benefit but for their own. They are trying to mitigate all the people putting off buying airfare due to the uncertainty. They would rather sell a ticket that is changeable than no ticket at all. That puts money into their pocket. On the other hand, they already have your money for tickets previously bought. Letting you cancel takes money out of their pocket.

Old 03-09-2020, 03:18 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,684,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Because they aren't doing it for your benefit but for their own. They are trying to mitigate all the people putting off buying airfare due to the uncertainty. They would rather sell a ticket that is changeable than no ticket at all. That puts money into their pocket. On the other hand, they already have your money for tickets previously bought. Letting you cancel takes money out of their pocket.
Oh, of course, I guess that makes sense, at least in the short term for Delta. My long-term loyalty is to companies who treat their customers better than that. For example, Holland America cruise line is being very flexible with its customers right now. Impressively so. I've always liked Holland, have traveled with them many times, and this really cements my loyalty. I'm not feeling that kinda love for Delta right now.

Old 03-09-2020, 03:36 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,911 times
Wait...from how I read it I thought anybody with a flight IN March or April can change it for free? So if you made a reservation prior to March you can change.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ty/5002855002/

Old 03-09-2020, 03:48 PM

16,422 posts, read 12,525,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Wait...from how I read it I thought anybody with a flight IN March or April can change it for free? So if you made a reservation prior to March you can change.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ty/5002855002/
That's a recent development. Up until this afternoon, it was just flights booked in March or April. I think that's still the case on United, though I suspect they're in the process of catching up with Delta because the special message at the top of the page has been removed from their website.

Old 03-09-2020, 03:59 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
That's a recent development. Up until this afternoon, it was just flights booked in March or April. I think that's still the case on United, though I suspect they're in the process of catching up with Delta because the special message at the top of the page has been removed from their website.

Makes me happy. I feel like I will end up changing my trip to mid summer. I feel that if things aren't improving by then I need to just be greatfull for what I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel