Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2021, 08:30 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how other folks solve pillow height in lodging when traveling...

I travel with either a regular pair of blue jeans or my flannel lined one's in my case, which when folded to create a double layer and placed under a hotel pillow nearly always raise it to the perfect height if two pillows are too high. Sometimes I have to add a folded t-shirt or two but I can always micro-adjust height this way.

I have to remember to take the clothes with me when checking out of course. Lost a pair of jeans in Amsterdam when the tour director was rushing me because I was keeping the Bus and rest of the tour waiting...

Any fellow pillow height adjusters? What is your technique?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 08:39 PM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
You can request different pillows at the front desk. They usually have all sizes and shapes to accommodate their guests.
Folded towels might work too and you don't need to be worried about forgetting your stuff.

Old 10-16-2021, 05:44 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
When staying at other people's homes I typically request a second pillow if only given one as one soft pillow isn't supportive enough. So I assume the same might be possible at a hotel.

Old 10-16-2021, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You can request different pillows at the front desk. They usually have all sizes and shapes to accommodate their guests.
Folded towels might work too and you don't need to be worried about forgetting your stuff.
I would likely drive the front desk crazy, LOL.

"He's back down here for the FOURTH time"....
"Just give him all the pillow choices and tell him to bring back the one's he doesn't like"...

I have tried the towels in the past, many are too fluffy and voluminous, and the harder thin one's too thin and don't add enough volume. My jeans and t-shirt formula is a dialed in, customized tried and true method. But towels good in the event I forget to pack my usual, thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
When staying at other people's homes I typically request a second pillow if only given one as one soft pillow isn't supportive enough. So I assume the same might be possible at a hotel.
I will definitely try the front desk for pillow choices going forward out of experimentation/curiosity (I'll ask for them all up front). Two pillows, regardless of the variables, have always been too much height for me, but I would imagine it does work in combination of varying thicknesses, soft/harder, etc. for most people.

Old 10-16-2021, 08:30 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
I do opposite, it's usually too tall and squishy so I take an extra bathroom towel and fold it into a square then put their pillow case over it. I only need a few centimeters man, and even that is primarily because my wife claims I snore when on my back with no pillow at all.

Old 10-16-2021, 08:43 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Maybe you guys read "The Princess and The Pea" too many times. . .

Old 10-17-2021, 06:13 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post

I will definitely try the front desk for pillow choices going forward out of experimentation/curiosity (I'll ask for them all up front). Two pillows, regardless of the variables, have always been too much height for me, but I would imagine it does work in combination of varying thicknesses, soft/harder, etc. for most people.
I find that 2 pillows are too much but one pillow isn't enough if the pillows are very soft. I agree one needs to experiment with what is available.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I do opposite, it's usually too tall and squishy so I take an extra bathroom towel and fold it into a square then put their pillow case over it. I only need a few centimeters man, and even that is primarily because my wife claims I snore when on my back with no pillow at all.
I never thought of creating something thinner than one pillow, but you came up with an excellent solve for this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I find that 2 pillows are too much but one pillow isn't enough if the pillows are very soft. I agree one needs to experiment with what is available.
Thinking back there were a few times I did not have my normal setup with me, on one occasion I used a plastic bag full of a bunch of tourist magazines and brochures from the local tourist info center to raise the pillow. In another situation I used the bed linen equivalent of a table runner the hotel had on the end of the bed (don't know the official name of this type of item) under the pillow, did not need to fold it over, one course was enough, although a little soft because material was quilted...

Answering the poster who mentioned the "Princess and the Pea", I think the situation would be more akin to Goldilocks and the Three Bears...

Old 10-17-2021, 08:59 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
I know what you're saying - when I travel I almost always have neck aches and headaches from pillows being different from what I'm used to. I'm a side sleeper so the pillow has to be high enough else my neck isn't straight and most pillows are too fluffy with little support.

I do like the towel idea though and will give that a try - thanks elnina!

Old 10-17-2021, 11:33 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,153,259 times
I always take my memory foam travel neck pillow with me. Has saved me from crappy hotel pillows more than once!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel