Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 08:53 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to go on a 10-day group tour in Tanzania, a photo safari with a group of folks from our town. I don't really know any of them. This safari is the real deal where we'll be spending most of each day in a land cruiser stalking and photographing all the usual suspects like giraffes, zebras, leopards, elephants, and more in the wild. The logistics is all handled by the tour company. The lodging is in really beautiful permanent tent camps, and fully catered. It's a dream come true trip for me. So, what's the issue?

Don't get me wrong, this is costing me a lot, but I've really wanted to do this FOREVER. My DH has no interest in photography, or Africa, so he has opted out of the trip but encouraged me to go. The fact that I won't have to pay for 2 people is what really makes this do-able in my budget. The problem is I can go on my own, room by myself, by paying a solo supplement of about 12% more, or meet some of the other solos going on this trip (all of them also female) and room with one of them, saving both of us that supplemental cost. Have any of you ever traveled while rooming for 7-10 days with a relative stranger? I don't do much solo travel for more than a few days and I worry that I'll feel lonely or strange without anyone to talk to at night, share my experiences with at mealtimes, and truly enjoy the amazing sites I know I will see. I know I can share pictures and stories, but without a shared experience, I don't know if it will be as exciting and fulfilling. I also worry that picking a bad or just incompatible roomie might just ruin my once-in-a-lifetime trip. I can afford the solo supplement as I'm already spending bunches, so I need opinions on whether I should stay alone or share with someone I'll be picking from a handful of unknowns. Any thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2024, 09:06 AM

7,065 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I would pay the solo supplement. You will have plenty of interaction with others all day and at meals.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:17 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I agree, pay the solo supplement, it will be cheap compared to having to listen to someone snore in the next bed. When you don't know what type of person they are, it is best to avoid. When we have been on group trips the single travellers always sit at a table with the rest of us, so plenty of time to chat.
Oh & lucky you, a safari to Africa is also on my bucket list & has been for about 50 years. I look forward to hearing about it when you get back.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:26 AM

I'm sort of leaning that way. You know, treat myself to the peace and quiet and luxury of a nice room to myself at night and hang with the other solos during the day and meals. It would be awful to have my trip wrecked by fussy or obnoxious roommate habits. But I could be missing out on making a great new friend too. guess I could make new friends during the day.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:32 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I can go on my own, room by myself, by paying a solo supplement of about 12% more...I worry that I'll feel lonely or strange without anyone to talk to at night, share my experiences with at mealtimes, and truly enjoy the amazing sites I know I will see.

I don't know how old you are, but I'm in my late 50s, and there's no way I would have a roomie at my age. You will have plenty of time at meals and during the trip itself to make friends and share experiences. At night, I need to be able to recharge and have some privacy.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:35 AM

3,246 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Go solo and don't regret it! Have a good adventure!

Old 04-16-2024, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I don't know how old you are, but I'm in my late 50s, and there's no way I would have a roomie at my age. You will have plenty of time at meals and during the trip itself to make friends and share experiences. At night, I need to be able to recharge and have some privacy.
I'm 65. I've often traveled and roomed with female travel buddies, but as I get older, I do appreciate being able to have a bit of solitude. I think I'm a little disappointed that DH didn't want to go and share it, so maybe I'm trying to fill that gap with a friend, but a relative stranger... not so much. I've asked the only lady friend I have that does adventurous travel, someone I really like, but it's not in her budget this year as she has other stuff planned and this would be too much for her travel budget, and my other friends are all married and don't travel solo, or would never do something so different to their regular travel style (budget, party-time travel).

I'm starting to think about it in a different way. Maybe a "getting to relearn some things about myself" type trip. I don't spend a lot of time away from DH as we've been retired for years. I have a couple weeks before I have to commit a non-refundable deposit, so I have some more time to think.

Old 04-16-2024, 10:25 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Do you think you would ever be frightened in a tent or yurt, or whatever, no matter how luxurious, by yourself at night? It is Africa.

Old 04-16-2024, 10:52 AM

I'm told that these camps have armed guards that patrol at night. When we have our meeting with the tour organizers I will ask about safety measures. This will be the 5th time the trip organizers have gone on this tour. The tour company gets top ratings in the industry. I don't think sleeping alone will make me feel less safe. It's not like DH could really save me from a lion anyway.

I'm excited about hearing the animals at night. I used to live a mile and a half from a little zoo and we could hear the lion at night "harrrrumphing" over and over. It was cool. The hyenas kind of spook me with their weird calls, sort of like coyotes, but vicious. I'm well aware this won't be like a zoo. I know that things occur, but like being struck by lightning, I usually don't worry much if the odds are in my favor like 1,000 to one, but I won't go walking around at night alone!

Old 04-16-2024, 11:39 AM

768 posts, read 858,141 times
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime for sure. I am not a "group" person and while it would be lovely spending time and having others to enjoy food and drink with, I cannot imagine retiring for the night to a tent with anyone buy myself. Pay the solo supplement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel