Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 05:02 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times

Advertisements

My husband's employeer has just offered to buy us a trip to Mexico as a departing gift. Any ideas on where we should go?

We have been to Mexico several times-two times to Playa del Carmen, and two times to Puerto Vallarta. We have also been to Cancun (too crazy and big for us) and Cozumel, and my husband has been to Mazatlan and Mexico City.

We would both like to go somewhere new, but where? We really want to be on the ocean, and prefer an all-inclusive resort. His boss didn't give him a dollar amount, so this makes it more difficult. Any suggestions as to where to go would be helpful! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 05:47 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
How did you find PV, I'm planning vacations down there soon ?

Old 06-06-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
How did you find PV, I'm planning vacations down there soon ?
My mom's friends always get a group to go down there every year. They have been doing this for about 15 years now. We first went in 1997 and then again in 2001, I believe. It is such a great place and I would go back again, and may still.

I would avoid the "Hotel Distric", which I believe is north of the airport. Downtown PV is so much more authentic and you really get a feel for the town. The hotels are nested in the mountains and it is beautiful. I would recommend staying at Los Arcos (I think that is what it is called) right on the beach. Avoid Meza del Mar. We always stayed at Meza, but recently it has become so crowded, you often can't get into the pool, get a spot on the beach, and they run out of food! The group my mom goes with stays now at Los Arcos and they love it! Have fun and be sure to go to Pipi's for dinner and the best fish bowl margaritas around! Be sure to eat at the Red Cabbage. It's a little hidden place, but the cab drivers will know where it is. It is some delicious authentic food! Also, if you go to Carlos O'Brians, look for the chair with the name "Fluffy" or "Pancho". This is one of my mom's friends. You can tell the frequent the place!

Old 06-06-2008, 01:16 PM

Default Thank you so much for the tips

Actually, for our first night (touchdown will be late at night), I have reserved a room at "Hacienda Hotel&Spa"-near the airport-, and then I got a rental in YELAPA at a lady's who was the photograher of Bob Dylan, Denis Hopper, etc....would you believe it ?
But we won't miss all the restaurants you hinted at, promise!

Old 06-06-2008, 02:43 PM

...and maybe we'll run into Jimmy Buffett!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-06-2008, 06:06 PM

You'll really enjoy Yelapa. I've never been there myself, but I know people who have. It is very relaxing!!! Have a great time and enjoy the sunshine!

Now...where I am going to go? Seems like no one else on this board is interested in travelling to Mexico right now.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:32 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
no one on this board is interested in travelling to Mexico right now.
This is the reason why....U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Bureau of Consular Affairs
This information is current as of today, Fri Jun 06 18:29:16 2008.

Mexico
April 14, 2008

This Travel Alert updates information for U.S. citizens on security situations in Mexico that may affect their activities while in that country. This supersedes the Travel Alert for Mexico dated October 24, 2007, and expires on October 15, 2008.

Violence Along The U.S.-Mexico Border
-------------------------------------

Violent criminal activity fueled by a war between criminal organizations struggling for control of the lucrative narcotics trade continues along the U.S.-Mexico border. Attacks are aimed primarily at members of drug trafficking organizations, Mexican police forces, criminal justice officials, and journalists. However, foreign visitors and residents, including Americans, have been among the victims of homicides and kidnappings in the border region. In its effort to combat violence, the government of Mexico has deployed military troops in various parts of the country. U.S. citizens are urged to cooperate with official checkpoints when traveling on Mexican highways.

Recent Mexican army and police force conflicts with heavily-armed narcotics cartels have escalated to levels equivalent to military small-unit combat and have included use of machine guns and fragmentation grenades. Confrontations have taken place in numerous towns and cities in northern Mexico, including Tijuana in the Mexican state of Baja California, and Chihuahua City and Ciudad Juarez in the state of Chihuahua. The situation in northern Mexico remains very fluid; the location and timing of future armed engagements there cannot be predicted.

Armed robberies and carjackings, apparently unconnected to the narcotics-related violence, have increased in Tijuana and Ciudad Juarez. Dozens of U.S. citizens were kidnapped and/or murdered in Tijuana in 2007. Public shootouts have occurred during daylight hours near shopping areas.

Criminals are armed with a wide array of sophisticated weapons. In some cases, assailants have worn full or partial police or military uniforms and have used vehicles that resemble police vehicles.

U.S. citizens are urged to be especially alert to safety and security concerns when visiting the border region. While Mexican citizens overwhelmingly are the victims of these crimes, this uncertain security situation poses risks for U.S. citizens as well. Thousands of U.S. citizens cross the border safely each day, exercising common-sense precautions such as visiting only legitimate business and tourist areas of border towns during daylight hours. It is strongly recommended that travelers avoid areas where prostitution and drug dealing occur.
Criminals have followed and harassed U.S. citizens traveling in their vehicles, particularly in border areas including Nuevo Laredo, Matamoros, and Tijuana. There is no evidence, however, that U.S. citizens are targeted because of their nationality.

U.S. citizen victims of crime in Mexico are urged to contact the consular section of the nearest U.S. consulate or Embassy for advice and assistance.

Crime and Violence in Mexico
----------------------------

U.S. citizens residing and traveling in Mexico should exercise caution when in unfamiliar areas and be aware of their surroundings at all times. Violence by criminal elements affects many parts of the country, urban and rural, including border areas. Though there is no evidence that U.S. citizens are specifically targeted, Mexican and foreign bystanders have been injured or killed in some violent attacks, demonstrating the heightened risk in public places. In recent years, dozens of U.S. citizens have been kidnapped in Mexico and many cases remain unresolved. Moreover, new cases of disappearances and kidnap-for-ransom continue to be reported. No one can be considered immune from kidnapping on the basis of occupation, nationality, or other factors. U.S. citizens who believe they are being followed should notify Mexican officials as soon as possible. U.S. citizens should make every attempt to travel on main roads during daylight hours, particularly the toll (“cuota”) roads, which are generally more secure. It is preferable for U.S. citizens to stay in well-known tourist destinations and tourist areas of the cities with more adequate security, and provide an itinerary to a friend or family member not traveling with them. U.S. citizens should avoid traveling alone as a means to better ensure their safety. Refrain from displaying expensive-looking jewelry, large amounts of money, or other valuable items.

Demonstrations occur frequently throughout Mexico and usually are peaceful. However, even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence unexpectedly. Some deaths occurred during violent demonstrations, including an American citizen who died in the 2006 violence in Oaxaca. During demonstrations or law enforcement operations, U.S. citizens are advised to remain in their homes or hotels, avoid large crowds, and avoid the downtown and surrounding areas. Since the timing and routes of scheduled marches and demonstrations are always subject to change, U.S. citizens should monitor local media sources for new developments and exercise extreme caution while within the vicinity of protests. The Mexican Constitution prohibits political activities by foreigners, and such actions may result in detention and/or deportation. Therefore, U.S. citizens are advised to avoid participating in demonstrations or other activities that might be deemed political by Mexican authorities.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:46 PM

These kind of things don't really worry me. Life is too short to think about what might happen, especially when the threat is pretty minimal. I might rethink a trip to the middle east right now, but Mexico isn't really on my radar. Besides, I will be steering clear of border locations.

It seems its just another scare tactic like the threat color codes the dept. of homeland security uses. I'm not here to debate that, just to say I'm not worried.

Mexico, here I come!

Old 06-07-2008, 02:10 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
I think the spring/summer would be the best time to visit Mexico. I've lived in Texas all my life and have always noticed more tension between anglos and Mexicans during the holidays/winter months.

Sorry to be real. That's just an observation.

Last edited by OzzyRules; 06-07-2008 at 03:36 AM..

Old 06-07-2008, 07:22 AM

That's interesting that you say that Ozzy, because in all my experiences in Mexico I have never felt any sort of anglo tensions. I've been to Mexico 4 or 5 times now. Almost every time I have been to Mexico I have travelled in the fall/winter months. I think it has to do a lot with our perceptions as well. I have found the Mexican culture to be extremely welcoming, friendly, and happy to talk with me. I have even been invited to locals homes for dinner. Of course it helps if you can speak the language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel