Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 08:21 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times

Advertisements

I just flew to Florida to attend a conference. A short flight to Atlanta, then on the Orlando. Same flights on the return.

First flight - crying baby right behind me. OK, I can deal with it, I know their ears hurt and they cant help it. Good thing the flight is short.
2nd flight- crying babies in front and back of me. OK, they stopped after a few minutes. Once again, I understand about the ears, and they are after all babies.

Return flight this morning - Crying baby behind me again. I got up at 5am to make this flight. While I do get it about babies, this morning it just hurts a little more than usual.

Last flight - 2 little kids right behind me. Toddlers, so maybe they won't cry. WAIT A MINUTE! Dad is giving a second by second description of what the plane is doing during take off, including AND WE ARE OFFFFF!!!!! He then started reading a book to the little guy, IN HIS OUTDOOR VOICE, and read the entire flight.

I tried to think of something I could have said, but figured that I would have just come off as some kind of a**hole. So I turned up my i-pod and tried to read. I could still hear him over the i-pod!

In the luggage area he was YELLING at his wife about the car keys. Maybe he had a head cold and his ears were plugged up. I don't know - but I felt like tossing him our the emergency exit at 20,000 feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 10:30 PM

515 posts, read 1,330,443 times
I can't stand kids on planes. They are such a nuisance!

Old 01-24-2009, 10:32 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,858 times
Be nice, in a few years they'll be the pilots and crew and you'll be needing one of them to push your wheelchair on board

Old 01-25-2009, 12:27 AM

515 posts, read 1,330,443 times
Ok, babies I understand.
Toddlers-No. Parents just don't control them on planes.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:50 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
some parents think their kids are just sooo adorable and that everyone else Must think so too.
I must confess..............when mine were babies,toddlers,etc. I didn't think they were perfect, didn't expect anyone else to think they were precious and we drove to our destinations. I Never,ever flew with my children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry251 View Post
Ok, babies I understand.
Toddlers-No. Parents just don't control them on planes.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:43 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,491 times
I agree with DreamWeavin...some parents think that everyone on the plane will be fascinated by their little darlings. They overindulge, pamper, tolerate whining, crying, bad behavior, etc...while the passengers around them tear their hair out. As flight crew, we can gently ask the parents to control their kids, but we are not the sky police and unless the kids are doing something dangerous, we pretty much have to put up with it too.

I actually once had a mother tell me...honestly!..that her little precious darling got bored on the flight and that is why she let him take magic markers and use the tray table as his canvas. Needless to say, we were very glad to get that family off the plane and hope never to encounter them again. Also, her other little angel left food, crumbs, Cheerios, etc all over the seat..another clean up for us. GRRRRRR

Old 01-25-2009, 08:08 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
Since they were in the very back, the flight attendant was sitting between them. She actually made a comment on how she "just loved" the stupid book he was reading. I think that encouraged him to really act it out.

I really didn't see any way of handling it and not look like a jerk. Just writing about it helped a lot to get it all out. Thanks for letting me vent.

I have a dream. They are selling a house. The buyer calls me to inspect it this week. As I walk in, they are home and Daddy Dearest is reading aloud to his wonderful super kids.
I will then be able to walk around and in MY OUTDOOR VOICE tell my clients everything I find wrong.

Yeah, but then I woke up.

Wait, maybe I will see them in the market. I can sneak stuff in their basket while they are looking elsewhere.

Yeah, probably not. Oh well, I can dream can't I?

Old 01-25-2009, 08:52 AM

841 posts, read 4,839,976 times
I've been on both sides of this issue.
When I was young and single, I traveled a lot. On a flight from Germany to the U.S. a toddler cried almost the WHOLE entire way. His mom and dad were yelling at him, barking orders, etc. I wanted to scream as well, as this was such a stressful flight for everyone around them. I gave many glares, of course to no avail.
Now that I'm a parent to two young boys, we have flown quite a bit, a few times a year since they were born. I give strict orders to them about proper behavior, about how everyone paid dearly for their seats on this plane and no one wants to hear a whiney, demanding child. For the most part, my kids are well behaved. This has mostly come from trial and error, and stern talks before the flight. I've had to redirect them numerous times for kicking the seat in front of them (toddler legs and feet jut out right in front and unfortunately touch the seat in front of them), putting the tray up and down (which shakes the seat in front of them), etc.
I've had kids behind me do those things to my chair with no intervention from their parents and it's ticked me off many times. I don't want my kids to be oblivious to other's feelings. I'm trying to teach them young so they aren't the jerky kids on the plane that everyone hates.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:27 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
The thing to remember is that it is generally NOT the toddler or the baby's fault, it is the idiot parents when they do not address the problems when they pop up.

When I traveled on a weekly basis on business, things would get really bad during the summer months. I would see parents actually sit in the back of the plane and put their 6-8 year olds several rows away. I would see parents put their headphones on to drown out their crying child.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:27 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
LOL-priceless!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Since they were in the very back, the flight attendant was sitting between them. She actually made a comment on how she "just loved" the stupid book he was reading. I think that encouraged him to really act it out.

I really didn't see any way of handling it and not look like a jerk. Just writing about it helped a lot to get it all out. Thanks for letting me vent.

I have a dream. They are selling a house. The buyer calls me to inspect it this week. As I walk in, they are home and Daddy Dearest is reading aloud to his wonderful super kids.
I will then be able to walk around and in MY OUTDOOR VOICE tell my clients everything I find wrong.

Yeah, but then I woke up.

Wait, maybe I will see them in the market. I can sneak stuff in their basket while they are looking elsewhere.

Yeah, probably not. Oh well, I can dream can't I?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel