Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2009, 06:04 PM

287 posts, read 1,087,021 times

Advertisements

Help me choose a vacation destination.

We always do the beach, and I'm wanting to go somewhere this summer where it's not too hot and where we can get outside. We love to road and mountain bike, hike, and would like to be on the water with a beach. Lake is fine. A plus would be some rafting or even rent a boat.

I was thinking Lake Tahoe or somewhere in CO or Montana, but can't find the right combo we're looking for.

Don't want to rough it, but stay in a resort setting with a decent room within walking distance to some food and activities. Would like to spend between 1000-1500 for 5-6 days, for 2 people. Sound like somewhere you know?? Please help! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 11:34 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Hi. You don't say what part of the continent you'll be starting from. But judging by all the specific activities you listed, somewhere in the mountain states including Washington, Oregon, parts of Idaho, and northern California should give you everything you asked for. Lakes abound here. Also river rafting. Also renting boats, hiking and mountain biking.

I don't know how much you know about mountain lakes, but they are breathtakingly beautiful and, especially in the northern half of the country, they're cold and not "beachy" like Florida's ocean beaches. That's because they're up in altitude or latitude.

Colorado is cute but mostly overpriced and sometimes has manic weather. Choose Montana or Wyoming or even Idaho instead if you want to be that far north with minimal populations. In Washington and Oregon you can do mountain trips with llamas... (and their people-guides).

Here's a terrific start, a place to browse and study and narrow down: TripAdvisor. It's the best vacation and travel guide, I think, on the web, where real travelers record their real experiences. This link will open to the general Wyoming Overview page. In the left column you'll find all the topics and links you'll need. Have fun planning!
Wyoming Vacations, Tourism and Wyoming Travel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Old 03-21-2009, 11:42 PM

366 posts, read 1,745,093 times
I've never been there, but from what I've heard Lake Havasu seems to fit the bill, just don't go over Spring Break or on a holiday weekend (party cove).

Lake Havasu, AZ - DesertUSA

Lake Havasu City - Home Page

Old 03-30-2009, 10:15 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Lake Tahoe. They literally treat the beach area of the lake like a REAL beach during the summer. There is a TON of activities to do in the summer outside in that area. PLENTY of hiking and mountain biking. Also have the Truckee River for rafting. Depends on which spots of the river you do will dictate how easy or rough it is. You can rent bikes in many areas around the lake. There are always people biking around the lake (THAT would be tough and I could not do it as the road is too narrow in some spots for my liking). There are bike trails in many areas and they do host some extreme mountain biking events. Hiking, from easy to really hard. Hike down to Emerald Bay for sure . Boating, take your pick on that one as well. Fishing is another big thing to do on the lake. There are other lakes in the area as well that are much smaller (Donner, Silverleaf, Spooner, etc).

Weather, if it gets up into the 80's or close to 90 most people in that area think they are burning up. Even in the summer it can easily get down into the high 20's and low 30's at night.

For airfare check between Reno or Sacramento. Reno is closer but sometimes Sacramento is a wee bit cheaper and not that far out of the way. Depending on which side of the lake you stay on will depend on how far the drive is from either airport. Still won't be much more than an hour MAX from either to the Lake Tahoe area.

We have stayed at various lodging around the lake. Depends on what your looking for. If you want more of a camp feel but not "roughing" it then try Camp Richardson or Zephyr Cove. There are also several different condos around the lake to stay at. Either at one of the ski villages or close to the lake or on the mountain. You can also ice skate at the top of Squaw Valley (have to take the Gondola up to the top) and this is where the 1960 Winter Olympics were held.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:34 AM

287 posts, read 1,087,021 times
Thanks for all the replies! I'll be looking into that. Btw, we're coming from St. Louis.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:43 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anr_black View Post
Thanks for all the replies! I'll be looking into that. Btw, we're coming from St. Louis.
You can send an email to all of the area chambers and visitors centers around the Lake Tahoe area and they will send you a TON of info for free. They are probably the best about giving out any info one could possibly want for this area. Just google the chambers and visitors centers for Lake Tahoe and you should find plenty of them.

If you find somewhere to stay and want to know about it, just ask. If I know anything about it I'll let you know.

If you want to be able to walk to a pleothoria of different places then look in South Lake Tahoe. Otherwise, your going to be driving to most places you want to visit. South Lake Tahoe is the largest city ON the lake though. So if your wanting something more "remote" without being in the boonies, avoid S. Lake Tahoe. There are also a TON of different rental agencies for the Lake Tahoe area that have properties available.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:36 PM

15 posts, read 29,080 times
if you want to be outside most of the time but still have a touch of refinement and luxury, try a dude ranch. they are great fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel