Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 01:49 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times

Advertisements

I use a LARGE gallon sized ziploc most of the time especially for meds. This way I can have everything all in one bag. Well 2 bags actually. One for the normal liquids that are in the 3oz container or less and then 1 bag for all meds. They have never said one word to me for having as many as THREE gallon sized bags. I also have not needed a doctors note even when carrying all of my daughters asthma meds and her nebulizer. As far as makeup my foundation has never been questioned. It is in a tube and is "liquid" but is less than 3 oz and I've never put it in a ziploc.

When we go to the store once we have reached our destination I do sometimes buy a few hygiene products like body soap only because it is a pain to pack. I love Dove Body Wash but the bottle is HUGE and takes up a lot of room in my checked bag. So I just buy one when we get there and the whole family uses it for that trip. There is usually not much left for us to worry about bringing it home. My normal shampoo and conditioner and hair products are all in container larger than 3 oz so I check those in my checked luggage and make sure they are in a plastic bag or ziploc. They DO and WILL leak.

If you go Southwest you won't have to pay for your baggage. They may charge you for bulky luggage like golf clubs and such and ones that weigh more than 50 lbs or such but you can look that info up on their site. On American you have to pay $15 per bag up to 1 bag per person. Each bag after 1 is I believe $25. Oh, and at the curb they have to run EACH BAG thru seperately on your credit card. So if your checking 5-6 bags you will have that many transactions and they don't take cash. Major PITA.

Here is the link for Southwests baggage rules:
Southwest Airlines - Baggage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 01:51 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
FYI, Target has a GREAT selection now of travel sizes of all kinds of hygiene items. They even have the aerosol spray of my favorite hairspray in a 3 oz can and I take that all of the time with me. I will put 1 3oz bottle in my carry on ziploc and then 1 or 2 of them in my checked baggage. MUCH smaller than the regular sized large can of the stuff.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:01 PM

718 posts, read 2,360,886 times
Here you go:

Airline Fees - Kayak.com

Old 04-17-2009, 06:19 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statefan View Post
That is a great website!

Old 04-17-2009, 07:28 AM

718 posts, read 2,360,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
That is a great website!
I refer to it a lot when looking to make reservations. It is updated on a regular basis, so you know you have current information.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:45 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
I think the airlines are looking for ways to make money. What would happen if people started bringing nothing on the plane except themselves?

Old 04-17-2009, 03:47 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
they could pack a lot more cargo onto the plane and get a price for that

Old 04-17-2009, 03:53 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
they could pack a lot more cargo onto the plane and get a price for that
That wouldn't go over well. If a passenger doesn't bring it on the plane, most likely, the passenger will refuse to pay for it and possibly a boycott of that airline.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:26 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
cargo in the hold - right now there is a lot more riding in the plane than just you and your luggage

if you brought no luggage, they'll still fill the space in the cargo section of the plane

if people brought nothing on their persons onto the plane i'm sure the airlines would offer to sell things - sell TV viewing, sell radio minutes, sell food/drink, sell magazines, etc

Old 06-23-2013, 03:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,143 times
I avoid additional baggage fees, lost (& never found) baggage by shipping everything except overnight supplies via either UPS or FEDEX. And, I never board my flight without confirming the arrival of my luggage - - recording confirmation/telephone #s on my shipping receipt. Then I make sure to have my shipping receipt available for the TSA as I go thru security. Circumventing the senseless fees & restrictions displeases the TSA & the airlines but I'm operating within the confines of the law.

More people following my lead would send a message to the TSA & the airlines. Think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel