U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Would you be willing to travel to areas effected by the swine flu outbreak?
Yes, when it's my day to go, I'm going to go. 15 40.54%
Yes, but not if it continues to worsten. 6 16.22%
No, it's not worth risking it. I can go elsewhere. 16 43.24%
I've already baracaded myself inside my house. Stay away. 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2009, 09:24 AM
 
287 posts, read 985,365 times
Reputation: 141

Advertisements

Well, looks like my plane is 1/2 full...we leave in 8 days. I'm sure in that time it'll change...more leg room for me, I guess!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2009, 09:26 AM
 
9,807 posts, read 13,486,926 times
Reputation: 8164
The test results just came back ( this morning) fron the CDC in Atlanta, and it confirmed that the central Minnesota case I mentioned yesterday---is--swine flu.

It was stated the infected person had contact with people who just returned from Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA/Lk Hopatcong NJ
13,108 posts, read 24,933,172 times
Reputation: 11146
[quote=marmac;8584080]The test results just came back ( this morning) fron the CDC in Atlanta, and it confirmed that the central Minnesota case I mentioned yesterday---is--swine flu.

It was stated the infected person had contact with people who just returned from Mexico.[/QUOTE]


Do the people who just returned have it as well? Where were they in Mexico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 09:52 AM
 
9,807 posts, read 13,486,926 times
Reputation: 8164
good question !

Few details are being released .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,530 posts, read 8,747,219 times
Reputation: 840
I'm following on another site: The info is misleading. Most say it's in Mexico City, not Playa. Are you staying in town or at one of those all inclusives?

We booked thru Travelocity, but I saw my flight confirmation and went directly to American Airlines to view/change my seats. That's how I saw my plane completely full.

And to the Jersey guy going to Cabo, I bet your flight goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anr_black View Post
We're going on Northwest. I bought the tickets cheap on hotwire, so short of paying a 100 fee, there not letting people get out of it. I'll have to go to their site and check the seat numbers.

We're still planning on going. I thought I heard on the news this morning though that the govt. ordered all "non-essential" businesses closed until the 6th...i checked online and the articles aren't clear if it's in Mexico city or all of Mexico. Anyone know?? I'm content to just lounge on the beach (and apparently we'll have it all to ourselves!), but it would be nice to go to a restaurant too We're staying in a friend's condo, not a hotel, so at the least i hope some grocery stores are open...don't want to starve in paradise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,530 posts, read 8,747,219 times
Reputation: 840
You know at this point, while Mexico City is the epicenter, it seems to me like it's just spreading. Two confirmed in Colorado. I don't know if I'd be so worried about Mexico any more as you can get it right here.

[quote=njkate;8584364]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
The test results just came back ( this morning) fron the CDC in Atlanta, and it confirmed that the central Minnesota case I mentioned yesterday---is--swine flu.

It was stated the infected person had contact with people who just returned from Mexico.[/QUOTE]


Do the people who just returned have it as well? Where were they in Mexico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 10:54 AM
 
Location: The Big D
14,874 posts, read 37,319,423 times
Reputation: 5787
njkate,
I saw last night on tv that the couple that just got married from that show The Hills is IN CABO on their honeymoon. It did show them walking on the beach with their surgical masks on. LOL!!! It was kind of funny looking. I'm thinking a cute bandana would do the same thing and not be as obvious. If you really felt you needed to wear one.

I wish they would publish WHERE IN Mexico these cases are coming from.
There are different states in Mexico and to just say "Mexico" would be as bad if our media just said, "another case confirmed in the United States" and didn't give a state or city.

Another funny thing about this I've noticed. The people they are showing that have it and even the woman that died in Mexico that they first thought was victim #1.........none of their close family have it or come down with it. I find that rather odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA/Lk Hopatcong NJ
13,108 posts, read 24,933,172 times
Reputation: 11146
Quote:
Originally Posted by anr_black View Post
We're going on Northwest. I bought the tickets cheap on hotwire, so short of paying a 100 fee, there not letting people get out of it. I'll have to go to their site and check the seat numbers.

We're still planning on going. I thought I heard on the news this morning though that the govt. ordered all "non-essential" businesses closed until the 6th...i checked online and the articles aren't clear if it's in Mexico city or all of Mexico. Anyone know?? I'm content to just lounge on the beach (and apparently we'll have it all to ourselves!), but it would be nice to go to a restaurant too We're staying in a friend's condo, not a hotel, so at the least i hope some grocery stores are open...don't want to starve in paradise
Yes, I heard that as well. What makes me burn is all they seem to do is stir up a panic with no real info as to locations et etc etc

We are staying at an AI and as long as that flight takes off I'm on it

When do you leave???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA/Lk Hopatcong NJ
13,108 posts, read 24,933,172 times
Reputation: 11146
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
njkate,
I saw last night on tv that the couple that just got married from that show The Hills is IN CABO on their honeymoon. It did show them walking on the beach with their surgical masks on. LOL!!! It was kind of funny looking. I'm thinking a cute bandana would do the same thing and not be as obvious. If you really felt you needed to wear one.

I wish they would publish WHERE IN Mexico these cases are coming from.
There are different states in Mexico and to just say "Mexico" would be as bad if our media just said, "another case confirmed in the United States" and didn't give a state or city.

Another funny thing about this I've noticed. The people they are showing that have it and even the woman that died in Mexico that they first thought was victim #1.........none of their close family have it or come down with it. I find that rather odd.

Really?? Surgical masks....argh!!

What also is odd is it seems to gravitate towards young kids and youg to 40 something adults
No not saying this is gospel but I did read somewhere that older people who were alive in 1968, the last time we had swine flu, may have a resistance to it even though its mutated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 12:44 PM
 
287 posts, read 985,365 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Yes, I heard that as well. What makes me burn is all they seem to do is stir up a panic with no real info as to locations et etc etc

We are staying at an AI and as long as that flight takes off I'm on it

When do you leave???
We're staying at a friend's dad's condo in a gated community, I guess in town?? Leaving May 8, and as you said, if the plane's there, I"m on it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top