Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to travel to areas effected by the swine flu outbreak?
Yes, when it's my day to go, I'm going to go. 15 40.54%
Yes, but not if it continues to worsten. 6 16.22%
No, it's not worth risking it. I can go elsewhere. 16 43.24%
I've already baracaded myself inside my house. Stay away. 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:39 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times

Advertisements

How do you feel about flying/traveling in light of the current outbreak?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 12:41 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
Just booking my flights to the US today.

Guess if the swine flu gets worse I'll have to bring an oxygen mask and some antiseptic wipes.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:42 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Since this particular swine flu contains FOUR different types of influenza, and since humans have NO IMMUNITY to any of those four -- rational behavior would be to avoid it. I would avoid it.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:10 PM

905 posts, read 3,455,145 times
Thanks for asking the question. I am set to leave for France and Spain 5.7.09. I answered "yes but not if it continues to worsen".

I was on 2 plane's yesterday and every time someone coughed or sneezed I cringed. I think it will get worse before it gets better. I am afraid I may have to go in the fall.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:57 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,721,676 times
We have been booked for Mexico for months now and are going, unless they cancel it for us. I believe that the scare is just that. There are meds for the sickness, it's on a small scale. We've had thousands die each year just from the basic flu, but people are freaking on this one? It's just too soon to tell IMHO. We are going to fly into Cancun then travel to PDC, and there really hasn't been any proven cases in Cancun.

There are the kids that got ill in NYC, but they could have contracted the illness on the plane or airport, where people of all nations hang out. The majority of cases are in Mexico City, so that would mean me being worried about a breakout in NYC when I live in San Diego.

I think it's good to be cautious, keep up with the news. We'll wear masks in the airport and on the plane, but that'll be it. It's not good to get caught up in media frenzy.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:26 PM

287 posts, read 1,087,021 times
I've had a trip to Mexico booked for months, and I'm still going. Even if I have to quarantine myself when I return.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:27 PM

287 posts, read 1,087,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
We have been booked for Mexico for months now and are going, unless they cancel it for us. I believe that the scare is just that. There are meds for the sickness, it's on a small scale. We've had thousands die each year just from the basic flu, but people are freaking on this one? It's just too soon to tell IMHO. We are going to fly into Cancun then travel to PDC, and there really hasn't been any proven cases in Cancun.

There are the kids that got ill in NYC, but they could have contracted the illness on the plane or airport, where people of all nations hang out. The majority of cases are in Mexico City, so that would mean me being worried about a breakout in NYC when I live in San Diego.

I think it's good to be cautious, keep up with the news. We'll wear masks in the airport and on the plane, but that'll be it. It's not good to get caught up in media frenzy.
Just noticed you're going to Playa too...glad I'm not the only one!

Old 04-28-2009, 04:54 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,721,676 times
Anr: Nah, there are tons of people going, don't worry. It's too early to freak, and if it does get that bad, they won't let us go anyway!

Old 04-29-2009, 06:08 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Cabo on Saturday
My DIL freaked so her & son canceled and alas they are not speaking over it...told son you can't force someone to do something they don't want to do...hop on line and see what last minute deals they have to some place else....

Cripes he was at Shea Stadium on Sunday.....could have been exposed there..it's all over now so if you are truly an alarmist better hunker down somewhere

Old 04-29-2009, 07:31 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
njkate, I just saw where several hundred students in schools in NY may have it or been exposed to it. Your right, your son could have been exposed to it right there and end up going to Cabo and not even be w/in 100 miles of someone that does. You just never know.

You will have to let us know how things are. If you can get to a computer update us on what is going on down there concerning this.

I'm still jealous........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel