Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 08:09 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post

Sorry, but there is a helluva LOT more in the US that I want to see, plus my favorite places to keep re-visiting. I'll just stick around and put my play money into our own economy.

Putting your money in our own economy? How selfish!!! There are idiots in Las Vegas who are saying, due to the big downturn in tourism, we should spend our travel money here. Oh please! Who keeps this city floating, in the first place, the tourists from other parts of the country and world, who could very well have stayed home and stimulated their own economies. If the Europeans and Asians and Latin Americans stopped traveling here, we'd be in worse shape than we are now. NYC is the #1 foreign travel destination in the U.S. If they stopped traveling to New York, how many hotels would fold overnight? Or Miami or California?

They did us a favor by traveling here, we need to return the favor by visiting their countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 08:43 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Putting your money in our own economy? How selfish!!! There are idiots in Las Vegas who are saying, due to the big downturn in tourism, we should spend our travel money here. Oh please! Who keeps this city floating, in the first place, the tourists from other parts of the country and world, who could very well have stayed home and stimulated their own economies. If the Europeans and Asians and Latin Americans stopped traveling here, we'd be in worse shape than we are now. NYC is the #1 foreign travel destination in the U.S. If they stopped traveling to New York, how many hotels would fold overnight? Or Miami or California?

They did us a favor by traveling here, we need to return the favor by visiting their countries.
If choosing to restrict myself to domestic travel makes me "selfish", then so be it. I can accept that just fine.

My big vacation spot is New Orleans. Tourism there is nowhere what Las Vegas and New York or San Francisco is, and it's economy is still suffering for it. So EXCUSE ME if contributing to New Orleans' conomic re-building is a bad, selfish thing! And, by the way, we didn't notice much for foreign tourists when we were there in April.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:25 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delany View Post
Sorry to revive a dead post but this is spot on! I think these are all accurate but I also think you can't overlook cost. It is expensive to travel overseas and most middle class working stiffs just can't afford it.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:40 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,033 times
I agree with Nomadic Matt. I meet mostly European and a lot of chinese when i travel (in travel groups). Most of my friends just go on a cruise to the Bahamas and that's it. From my observation, they we're mostly interesting in just working to feed their lifestyle. No time for vacations at all. For them, "Why travel when you can earn money instead?"

Old 08-09-2013, 07:26 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Sorry to revive a dead post but this is spot on! I think these are all accurate but I also think you can't overlook cost. It is expensive to travel overseas and most middle class working stiffs just can't afford it.
it not spot on. To start with, America doesn't take an entire continent. Canada and Mexico are the other two large countries that make up North America last time I checked.

Additionally, America doesn't have everything. Yes, it has a lot, but not even close to everything. Does America have ancient cities with thousand years of culture? Old castles? Splendid palaces? Grand churches? Wild savana where elephants, lions and giraffs live?

It is especially true if you want to visit interesting cities and culture, you have few options in the US, because American cities are extremely homogenous. You may think "oh, they are all different" but they are different in your eyes only because you see too little of the rest world.

Following the same "I don't need to travel outside my country" logic, I guess Europeans never have to visit anywhere else, neither do the Chinese, since they pretty have everything in their own countries as well.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
* Now that it's just us, the only excuse I have now is: I DON'T CARE ABOUT TRAVELING ABROAD!

Yes, I've heard that Italy is beautiful and charming. Yes, I've heard that Ireland is as green as Oregon and full of life. Yes, I've heard about the charms and history of Spain and Portugal. And, yes, I've heard all about exciting escapes that friends have spent in France, Cambodia, Thailand, Germany, and Australia. I guess I'm just content to see and read it all in magazines and collect the postcards that I receive.

Sorry, but there is a helluva LOT more in the US that I want to see, plus my favorite places to keep re-visiting. I'll just stick around and put my play money into our own economy.

Perhaps in my next life I'll do the opposite and bounced all over the world.
Yes, there are a lot to see in the US itself, however, compared with what's available in the world, you are repeatingly seeing something similar to each other. You won't be able to experience the dramatic landscape in other continents, the wild animals and the wonderful cultures that is not to be seen in America. THis is typical close-minded thinking (we have enough so we don't have to travel abroad).

Yeah, you don't care, only out of your own narrow-mindedness and ignorance. Put money in our own economy, I guess I should tell that to travelers from China, Japan, Canada, Europe as well cuz apparently it is a fre..king noble thing to only travel in one's own country.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:32 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
it not spot on. To start with, America doesn't take an entire continent. Canada and Mexico are the other two large countries that make up North America last time I checked.

Additionally, America doesn't have everything. Yes, it has a lot, but not even close to everything. Does America have ancient cities with thousand years of culture? Old castles? Splendid palaces? Grand churches? Wild savana where elephants, lions and giraffs live?

It is especially true if you want to visit interesting cities and culture, you have few options in the US, because American cities are extremely homogenous. You may think "oh, they are all different" but they are different in your eyes only because you see too little of the rest world.

Following the same "I don't need to travel outside my country" logic, I guess Europeans never have to visit anywhere else, neither do the Chinese, since they pretty have everything in their own countries as well.
If they don't want to, or can't afford to, that's their business and I certainly wouldn't be looking down my nose at them.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
Many Americans *are* culturally ignorant and I'm certainly NOT anti-American! Cultural ignorance is the result of how one was raised and educated. And, some folks, though educated and given the opportunity just have no desire to leave the USA. Half of my family has not left the USA and doesn't want to. The other half of us, myself included, speak several languages, have travelled extensively, and the *only* reason I'm not travelling anymore is lack of funds.
I agree with this.

There was a time the US GDP is half of the world, and Americans think this world is basically the US and "international". However things have changed and the US is not as important as it used to be, however, the education and people's mindset kind of stick.

Is the rest of the world more dangerous? Americans are just kidding themselves. Cities in Europe and East Asia as well as many South American countries are by far safer than most american cities with much much lower crime rate for example.

The Americans' ignorance about the world is not exactly the best kept secret. Many simply don't care about or not remotely interested in the outside world as if it didn't matter. In terms of travel, how exactly does anyone know the US has everything to see without stepping outside even once? Otherwise, one would be amazed by how much he has missed.

I used to travel in North America exclusively, and about five years ago I started traveling to Europe (UK, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Czech, Spain), Asia (China, Japan, Thailand), South America (Chile, Argentina, Brazil) and Africa (Kenya, south Africa), and you know what, I hardly ever "travel" in North America anymore, because once you step outside the box, you find all the things in the US are pretty much homgenous - they are different but not in any significant way, nothing is "exotic" and gives you thinks "wow, this is something I have never seen" kind of experience.

The typical US + Caribean in the winter kind of travel is extremely boring.
So why not admit people don't travel elsewhere because
1) they are ignorant and afraid (what am I supposed to do when people don't speak English? Big deal)
2) lack of money (we all know everything in America is cheap)

Old 08-09-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
If they don't want to, or can't afford to, that's their business and I certainly wouldn't be looking down my nose at them.
well I certainly look down my nose at Americans who think "the US has everything and we don't have to travel abroad". It is like you learn to play the piano but only play Bach.

People judge. I judge. Many pretend not to judge but in reality they still do. That's the real world.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:45 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
^100% accurate, plus I'd rather spend my money helping out fellow Americans than some other country where they'd just as soon spit on a Yank if given half-a-chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel