Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 01:44 AM

105 posts, read 603,273 times

Advertisements

We are looking to travel over the next month either somewhere in France, Greece or Italy. We love the beach but I am wondering if anyone has traveled to the South of France, Greek Isles or the beaches in Italy at the end of October. I don't expect it to be 80 degrees but could it still possibly be warm enough to enjoy the beach or should we consider somewhere else in Europe and make it more of a sight seeing vacation? Would love some input from anyone that has traveled at this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 02:26 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times
I have been to Greece in this season. Even on the southern islands the weather begins to turn in by middle of October. But it's nice. Still mostly warm, with weather fronts beginning to come through.

October is the beginning of the off season. Room prices plummet. Museums and tourist sites empty out. Beach resorts bring in the umbrellas. It's actually very nice, no crowds to fight and your money goes much much farther.

Better than high season summer really, when these southern Mediterranean places are hotter than Hades, crazy expensive, and mobbed by the insane drunken party crowd.

Go in October. There are still warm days and warm water, lower prices, and more privacy.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Never been to Sardinia. Some day I would like to get to Malta--it might be nice in late October.
You could go to Collioure in France, Crete in Greece, or Hvar in Croatia.
All are beautiful and I bet the water would still be *fairly* warm.
I know Crete touts itself as being the warmest European island.
There are also the Canary Islands (Spain)--they are, I believe, close to Africa.
Or there is also Tunisia.
Or Cyprus.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:43 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Southern France in October may be warm enough. Another option would be to go to Israel which is usually warm enough until late October (& sometimes even the beginning of November!).

Old 09-26-2009, 10:32 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
Deployed to Sardinia a number of times when I was in the USAF; loved it! Went to the shore near Cagliari; would think the weather in October would still be warm enough for the beaches.

Where in the he*l is Decimomannu? Right next to Decimoputzu! (One of our deployment T-shirts...)

Old 09-28-2009, 11:52 PM

2,994 posts, read 3,764,928 times
I'm not sure that in October you can make a bath on the beach.

I think that you can go to the beach till September.

have a good day

Old 09-29-2009, 10:58 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
Minniemouse, You know better; you live there! I, on the other hand, speak as a warm-blooded guy who went down there from a much-cooler Germany. Perhaps that's why I am a little more forgiving of the weather...

Old 09-30-2009, 12:14 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,764,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Minniemouse, You know better; you live there! I, on the other hand, speak as a warm-blooded guy who went down there from a much-cooler Germany. Perhaps that's why I am a little more forgiving of the weather...
Sardinia has a better weather than Germany. All Italy has a better weather then Germany.

Now, we are at the end of September and here, it's hot also. It's very strange...
In Italy, in October , there's a good time if you are lucky. In the other case...rain.

Sardinia is better than Milan as weather but I'm not sure that you can go to swimm.

I'm here if you need to receive some info.

PS: the best beach that I have seen in Sardinia, is STINTINO (la pelosa beach). wow...it's an Italian caribe

Have a good day!

Old 09-30-2009, 12:57 PM

32 posts, read 129,472 times
Quote:

PS: the best beach that I have seen in Sardinia, is STINTINO (la pelosa beach). wow...it's an Italian caribe

Have a good day!
That´s awesome! Didn´t know that there are beaches in Europa that look like a caribbean island!

Swimming in the sea in October should be possible in southern spain, on the southern Greece islands and maybe in southern france. But I´m not sure about France, but the Cote d´ Azur is famous for the warm climate during winter - so maybe the sea will be warm enough in October?

Old 10-07-2009, 10:42 AM

268 posts, read 877,909 times
The warmest places in Europe at the end of october are:
- Cyprus
- Kreta (Greek isle)
- Andalusian coast+ Sevilla, Cordoba area.
- Canary Islands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel