Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 05:47 PM

11 posts, read 22,219 times

Advertisements

Hi! I was just wondering if anyone thinks flying is the coolest way to travel. I've only been on a plane a couple of times and love it. You can see land beneath you that is if there aren't clouds covering it up. Takeoff is my favorite part. Please say what you think about air travel and what's your favorite part about it. Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 06:13 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
I hate traveling by plane and wouldn't unless I absolutely had too like this coming summer when I will need to fly to alaska. Haven't flown since 1999. I hate to long waits, long lines, price, cramp seats, no leg room, food, etc etc.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:24 PM

111 posts, read 435,488 times
I love flying, but not the things leading up to it, like the security lines, waiting, and so forth.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:12 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
I love flying there is nothing better than it. If pilots did not make terrible wages, had horrible benefits and low job security that would be the job I would persue in a second! But since that is the case I will have to stick to Private Flying.

What else is better than flying? 550mph at 38,000 feet seeing the world beneath you, seeing a sunrise or sunset at 38,000ft! The Stars, the physics of how a plane flys. How something like a 747 can weigh over 700,000lbs and still fly at 500mph at 30,000ft. There is nothing better.
And when you learn about all the things it takes to fly a plane all the work in the air and on the ground.

I will let this qoute say it all:
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -- Leonardo da Vinci
Aviation is a ture passion in my life. Everything about flying is great, the different airlines, the airports, just the atmosphere of a busy airport filled with international flights at 7pm. Nothing beats it.

I dont have one favorite part about flying. Everything from walking into the terminal and watching the planes take off and land to being in the plane itself is great.
I guess my favorite part would be cruise. There is so much see sometimes when flying over land, just sit back and enjoy a view that just 100 years ago would have been impossible to get. Trying to find cars on a empty freeway, other planes in the sky, airports on the ground.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:46 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Never forget that a successful landing is really nothing more than a controlled crash.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:27 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
If I can't drive a truck, I love to fly! Especially military aircraft! My finest ride was probably a UH-60 helicopter. Oddly enough, I've never had any burning desire to fly in the back OR front seat of a fighter...(hate roller coasters, too)

Old 12-01-2009, 07:41 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
One flies because he usually has no other choice, at least for long distance or traveling internationally. There is no other option unless one spends days in a car or boat.

That being said, the days of flying being glamorous or fun are long over. I do not enjoy flying, I mildly enjoy the perks I get as a frequent flyer - first class upgrades, etc, at time I still enjoy looking out the window on a clear day. But the act of flying itself is not an enjoyable activity by any means. It's equivalent to being a prisoner in a metal tube for hours at a time.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:29 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
The glamour of flying died a long time ago for me I'm afraid. I wish I still enjoyed it, but as I've been flying since I was 11 months old and it just seems to get more laborious and stressful as time goes on, I look on it as a massive chore that has to be endured rather than appreciated. If I ever move back to Europe permanently, I'm going by ship.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:58 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,973,579 times
I used to not be that keen on it but now its just like any other mundane activity in life. The waiting, the security stress, the cramped seats (i'm 6'8''), it's not fun but i see it as a necessary evil. I happen to love beaches and i live in the Midwest so unless i want to drive 10 -12 hours every time i want to see the ocean, i have to fly. I fly a lot for work now too so its really no big deal. Some flights can actually be enjoyable if, i can bag the emergency row and its a plane that actually has a little extra space there. I dont get a headache while doing a crossword to pass time. But the best thing that can make a flight decent is if you sit next to someone who is interesting. Not overly talkative but you can carry on a interesting conversation for an hour or two. Its suprising how quick a flight can go by if this occurs.

G Man

Old 12-02-2009, 05:45 PM

8,487 posts, read 6,891,592 times
My experience with flying goes back to 50's. As one of the other posters stated it's not any fun anymore. I don't look forward to flying in this day and age at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel