Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you still rough it in a tent, travel in a luxury RV or is a hotel your idea of roughing it?
Tents all the way! 9 19.57%
Tent Trailer, still kinda roughing it! 1 2.17%
Small RV-on a truck or small pull type. 3 6.52%
Obnoxiously large RV-drive or heavy duty pull type. 7 15.22%
Hotel/Motel/Spa 26 56.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 08:12 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,838,527 times

Advertisements

Camping for me is a hotel with a door that opens directly to the outside rather than to a corridor. I've spent one night in a tent at a charitable all night walk and it was miserable!!

Moosekeeter, I would love to know more about home exchanges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 08:06 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,941 times
We have a motorhome and I think it's the best way to travel. Actually, if we were going to invest in anything else, I'd pick a really nice 5th wheel pulled by a nice truck. We have everything we need and it's "home away from home" for us. Our doggie travels with us and fellow campers are the best!

Too bad fuel prices right now are rather prohibitive. We're waiting till around September to see how prices are by then - and avoid the summer rush.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:33 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,919 times
I've done the tent, trailer, hotel and next on my list is condo rental. At this point and time give me a nice bed, good kitchen to cook in and the wonderful outdoors to spend my day and early evening in.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:44 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times
Great idea! A tent with a deck

The home exchange idea sound really interesting as well.

I have always done hotel/motel or resort. I did one night in the bed of a pickup truck on the coast and decided I am not built for roughing it.

I travel for a living so my vacations are usually paid for with airline miles and hotel points. On vacation I spend little time in the hotel room so only the shower and bed are really important. My wife really likes the temporary maid service not usually associated with trailer or tents.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:36 PM

989 posts, read 2,762,327 times
Question What about Backpacking?

To me that is the only way to go... Better scenery, more secluded, brisk excercise, and no Obnoxious Diesel pushers! (Actually, the vehicle is fine... it's the attitude of the owner that usually irks me)

Old 06-06-2007, 06:57 PM

428 posts, read 2,440,416 times
I voted my preference, big RV. As to the generator noise, most parks have a 9 p.m. rule, don't they? We sold ours just over a year ago before gas prices got too bad.
I can't stand hotels. Having to go out for food gets to be a pain.
And I have done the tent trailer thing and thoroughly enjoyed that. That's probably the best thing if you want your breakdowns to be manageable. Breakdowns in a RV are less so. (I'll mosey up to Worst Travel Experience to elaborate.)

Old 06-06-2007, 07:59 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyM View Post
I voted my preference, big RV. As to the generator noise, most parks have a 9 p.m. rule, don't they? We sold ours just over a year ago before gas prices got too bad.
I can't stand hotels. Having to go out for food gets to be a pain.
And I have done the tent trailer thing and thoroughly enjoyed that. That's probably the best thing if you want your breakdowns to be manageable. Breakdowns in a RV are less so. (I'll mosey up to Worst Travel Experience to elaborate.)
Well, quiet time is usually 9 or 10 p.m. til around 6 or 7 a.m. You don't get the generator noise when you're using electricity so some of the posters are likely talking about camping areas with no hookups that are noisy.

I agree on the hotels. I like my coffee when I want it without having to get dressed for it! And I know what's happened on my bed and couch. I haven't stayed in a hotel since I quit working and going to seminars.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:26 PM

428 posts, read 2,440,416 times
Oh! I forgot about the roughing it places. I think we always turned ours off and went without, so that we could sleep too. The fridge stayed cold enough, and it was never too hot to sleep with the windows open.

And even with my worst travel experience being in an RV, I'd still rather do that than the hotel thing.

Old 09-07-2020, 12:22 AM

5 posts, read 2,540 times
I voted TENTS all the way........

In my opinion its not a real vacation unless your in a tent and thus isnt fun......

I miss tenting kind of

Old 09-07-2020, 11:11 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,521,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerx View Post
I voted TENTS all the way........

In my opinion its not a real vacation unless your in a tent and thus isnt fun......

I miss tenting kind of
This is a 13 year old thread and the OP hasn't posted since 2010!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel