Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 04:21 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,091,862 times

Advertisements

I have a friend in New Zealand who is planning a crosscountry US drive, but is having trouble finding much info about obtaining a handicap placard. I know nothing about travel myself. I don't even know what would be required for a non-US tourist to drive from state to state, let alone with handicap plates/placard.

Any help or specific links would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 06:19 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
You can drive state to state without restriction once you are in the US.

In the US the placards are issued by our DMV's, there are different criteria for eachs tate, but all of them require a form filled out by a licensed physician, so I'm not sure that will work for you. If you have one in NZ, I'd bring it along.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:48 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
If your first stop is California, CA lets you go to the DMV website and get a form the NZ doctor can complete and send back. A temporary permit will be assigned that you can pick it up at any of the CA DMV offices with the receipt CA sends back. That permit is good anywhere in the US. Many states will honor a foreign disable placard, but they are not required to and some parking monitors may issue a ticket anyway. A permit issued from one state must be honored by another state so try and see if you can get a temporary visitor handicap placard when they arrive.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:53 PM

Just to clarify, a handicap placard issued in one US state is good in any of them?

And do non-us citizens need anything besides their drivers license from their country of origin to drive in the USA?

Old 02-18-2010, 08:04 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
Just to clarify, a handicap placard issued in one US state is good in any of them?

And do non-us citizens need anything besides their drivers license from their country of origin to drive in the USA?
I took my Australian Driver's Licence to the RACV and paid $35 for an International Driver's Licence which is valid for 12 months and must be presented WITH your driver's licence if you're pulled over or whenever driver's licence is requested.

As the RACV is also affiliated with AAA (the American version of the RACV) I also found on their websites information about getting disabled parking permits for travelling in the US.

NZ will have a automobile club, yes? I'm not sure what they're called. That would be where I would look for this information and the AAA website.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:43 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Technically no, but I've never heard of anyone being ticketed for using a placard from another state.

Quote:
Unless you are from Canada, I believe you need an International drivers license form to accompany your regular license.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:53 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
I use my European Disbled Parking Permit in the US every time I visit but just to make sure I always email each State I will visit to confirm that it is valid in that particular state. And print the emails so I have proof if any parking attendents ever dispute my right to park there.

I have had so far no trouble at all apart from many, many American people cursing at me and screaming for me using a disabled parking space as they expect it to be on the license plate and dangling from the mirror. Which mine isn't. It is a laminated card which is placed on the dashboard. Many people with egg on their faces when they realise that I am indeed disabled....

Old 02-21-2010, 07:04 PM

Thanks to all, I've passed the info on

Old 02-22-2010, 07:57 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Quote:

US regulation says that a disable parking permit issued in one State is valid in all US states. All foreign disable permits are also vailid in the US. That does no mean you may not get a ticket. They may not see the permit or if they cant tell its an official permit your a foreigh country, they may write the ticket. All you do is send back the ticket with a copy of the permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel