Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 09:40 AM

54 posts, read 338,938 times

Advertisements

I am in the midst of beginning the process of planning a road trip across the southern states.

At this point I am thinking about going from florida to California…roughly.

I really want to enjoy the outdoors and keep costs to the minimum during the trip so I will be doing a lot of car camping, hostels, university dorms, etc.

So what I am asking is… What are some of the best places to see in the vast area that is the south western USA.
Specifically, would I be more suited to go from florida to California, or from lets say texas to Oregon?
I am 25 and male and I will be traveling with another guy a little older than me, were are both from Toronto, Canada...if that changes anything.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 10:29 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Take part of the old Route 66 tour. See a part of America that used to be a way of life. It is supposed to be VERY interesting. I also like the small towns too.

In Texas you can stop at Palo Duro Canyon up in the panhandle just south of Amarillo. They do have camping in the canyon so that is a low cost option. It is really a majestic beauty to behold and a lot of history. Depending on which way you come from Florida you could also clip part of the Texas Hill Country. Of course you would see the Piney Woods of East Texas coming in from Louisiana.

Florida to California:
Start in Jacksonville and make sure to visit St. Augustine as it is the oldest city in the country. Then head west via I-10 thru the panhandle of FL and even dip down to the coastline to see the beach.
Mobile, Alabama - see the battleships in the Mobile Bay.
New Orleans - why not? Eat your way thru the French Quarter and then head northwest on 49 thru Shreveport OR take I-10 on into Houston.
Texas - From Houston you have several options. 1. Up 45 to Dallas or I-10 to San Antonio which then takes you to I-35 to Austin. Several things to see in this vicinity (Natural Bridge Caverns). Then cut across to head to the Panhandle by a few different routes depending on interests.
Amarillo - Palo Duro Canyon.
I-40 West on into New Mexico.
Albequerque. If so desired you can go see Santa Fe.
If you want more mountains instead of desert at this time you can head up to Colorado and see Durango. Cortez is home to Mesa Verde State Park (old Indian dwellings). Durango area is nice w/ Silverton and Ouray.
If you went the Colorado route then you have Utah next.
If you went the NM route your into Arizona.
Then Nevada - Las Vegas. Hey, you did New Orleans right? Might as well try the next "City of Sin".
California/Nevada - do you want to see the Siera Nevada Mountains or not? More interested in Southern California and the beaches or the mountains? Several options here.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:50 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
In New Mexico, I'd personally skip Albuquerque and head north from I-40 to see Santa Fe, Taos & the Sangre de Cristo mountains. Keep heading north into southern Colorado and then west towards Durango, taking in some of Colorado's best mountain scenery. From there, head SW to the Four Corners, Monument Valley & Canyon de Chelly. Continue south to the Petrified Forest just south of I-40 in Arizona. Follow I-40 west to Meteor Crater and then on to Flagstaff. From here, you'll want to head south to Sedona, and on to Phoenix if you're dead-set on seeing the flagship desert plant the saguaro cactus. Also from Flagstaff, head north to the Grand Canyon. From here its on to Vegas via the Hudson Dam and then to California.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:35 PM

114 posts, read 419,494 times
Did you mean the Hoover Dam?

Old 01-27-2009, 09:07 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zneergz View Post
I really want to enjoy the outdoors and keep costs to the minimum during the trip so I will be doing a lot of car camping, hostels, university dorms, etc. .
While university housing is very common in Canada (having stayed in Many universities from Dalhausie to Simon Fraser), very few US universities open their residence halls unless you are part of a conference held at the university.

Hostels are also few and far between.

Personally, we always use Priceline and Hotwire to bid for hotel rooms and can generally get a 2* in MOST locations from $25-40. See biddingfortravel.com for ideas as to how to bid.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pont neuf View Post
Did you mean the Hoover Dam?
Yes I did, duh!

Old 01-29-2009, 04:33 PM

54 posts, read 338,938 times
Thank you for all the replies, and the temporary misinformation...lol.

We are currently thinking of going from W-E, starting in southern Oregon , down through California and across, maybe ending in New Orleans or thereabouts.

That really is a shame that there isn't more budget accommodations south of the border. I guess I've been somewhat spoiled in my travels in those regards.

Questions:

Is there more to see in North Cali, or the deep south...?
Are there better locations to fly in/out of on either of those coasts?
What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Are there any cities that I should avoid along that route?
Is there any other standout camping spots along the route that anybody can suggest?
If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Old 01-29-2009, 10:24 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zneergz View Post
Thank you for all the replies, and the temporary misinformation...lol.

We are currently thinking of going from W-E, starting in southern Oregon , down through California and across, maybe ending in New Orleans or thereabouts.

That really is a shame that there isn't more budget accommodations south of the border. I guess I've been somewhat spoiled in my travels in those regards.

Questions:

Is there more to see in North Cali, or the deep south...?
Are there better locations to fly in/out of on either of those coasts?
What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Are there any cities that I should avoid along that route?
Is there any other standout camping spots along the route that anybody can suggest?
If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?
Going through California I'd put Yosemite on your list and there is camping there.

Best thing before sliced bread was the aroma of it baking in the oven.

Avoid cities? Why? You're out to explore, take it all in.

No camping spots stick out in my head, but if you're against a rail there are several KOA campsites throughout the US

If you try to fail and succeed, then you did not fail

Old 01-30-2009, 06:56 AM

National forest and park land abounds in the southwestern US. In most national forests, you can pull your car off anywhere you see a good spot and camp for the night. Obviously you'll need to have everything with you, including water, for this type of car camping.

Flagstaff has a couple of hostels that are decent, and conveniently located to good restaurants, brewpubs, etc... in downtown Flag. I have stayed in one of them...the Hotel LeBeau, an old motor inn from the heydey of Route 66.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,433 times
Default Traveling from Miami to LA

Hi, I'm doing a trip this May that sounds very similar. I'm traveling Miami to LA solo & I'm female. I want to get an idea of how safe it is for a single female to be camping in the USA esp. the South.

As much as I love the wilderness, I'm not looking for a camp site way out in the sticks, something that is accessible from town & preferably staffed as I'm doing the trip by Greyhound ....hoping to save money with a few camping nights mixed other types of cheap accom.

I'm pretty experienced, lived in a camper in New Zealand for a year, camped in Australia, India, Indonesia, hiked all over the world alone etc...but not sure how safe this is in the USA.

Any ideas or suggestions? Maybe youthhostelling? Hmm...I gotta go check that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel