Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2010, 11:46 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

In a rare thrill-ride personal injury lawsuit that has made it to trial, Walt Disney World is in court this week defending the safety record of one of its most popular attractions.

An Orange County jury heard opening arguments Wednesday in a case pitting Disney against Marvin Cohen, a now-80-year-old Pennsylvania man who suffered a stroke twelve years ago after riding the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, at the theme park now called Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

Disney goes to trial over safety of Tower of Terror | TheDailyDisney.com from OrlandoSentinel.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 02:20 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,320,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
In a rare thrill-ride personal injury lawsuit that has made it to trial, Walt Disney World is in court this week defending the safety record of one of its most popular attractions.

An Orange County jury heard opening arguments Wednesday in a case pitting Disney against Marvin Cohen, a now-80-year-old Pennsylvania man who suffered a stroke twelve years ago after riding the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, at the theme park now called Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

Disney goes to trial over safety of Tower of Terror | TheDailyDisney.com from OrlandoSentinel.com
That is ridiculous! He shouldn't have been on the ride at his age. I believe in holding businesses accountable for neglect that causes injury, but when you sustain injury or death because you yourself decide to participate in an event that is operating normally with no neglect for the operation of the ride, it is NOT their fault! You took the risk. The ride didn't go wrong...YOU did! What a WASTE of EVERYONE'S TIME that people sue for stuff like this! Disney did nothing wrong!

Old 04-18-2010, 01:40 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,735 times
The only reason this lawsuit has been filed is that it's Disney and the lawyers are hoping that rather than bringing it to court, Disney (with all of their money) will just settle.

I'm a huge Disney fan. I've been to their parks so often I've lost count. But you cannot go on any kind of "fast" ride without first passing by numerous warnings and opportunities to turn around and get out of line.

The problem with some of the rides (I'm thinking of Mission Space...which IMHO is the best ride I've ever been on) is that the average person has no idea what G-forces do to your body. There have been a few people who have died after going on that ride because they had no idea they had a condition that would react badly after riding that ride and later died. So, while it's not the person's fault (a young kid died a few years ago) because they didn't have any idea they had a condition that would produce an adverse reaction, it's not Disney's fault either. Their job is to create a fun experience and keep "upping the ante" on rides.

But, Disney isn't stupid and their own lawyers, I've no doubt, have told them how many warnings must be posted, how far apart, and probably that some must be illuminated. An 80-year old should probably use caution when riding a ride with the word "Terror" in it.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:00 PM

Maybe they should have a big WELCOME sign at Mickey's land for the UNDER and OVER agers, that only these rides would be "suit"able. LOL! I am so sick and tired of people deciding to sue for their own stupidity. Again, as I posted earlier - if it were neglect on behalf of Disney, I can see the point. This absolutely does NOT fit into that category. The Names of the rides, the signage, the whole reputation of the scary rides are well known, you can't even say..."I had no idea it would be scary". No argument, it should be thrown out! Disney shouldn't have to spend a dime!

Old 04-18-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
Maybe they should have a big WELCOME sign at Mickey's land for the UNDER and OVER agers, that only these rides would be "suit"able. LOL! I am so sick and tired of people deciding to sue for their own stupidity. Again, as I posted earlier - if it were neglect on behalf of Disney, I can see the point. This absolutely does NOT fit into that category. The Names of the rides, the signage, the whole reputation of the scary rides are well known, you can't even say..."I had no idea it would be scary". No argument, it should be thrown out! Disney shouldn't have to spend a dime!
There are signs EVERYWHERE. They have signs posted nearly every 10 feet on just Splash Mountain so I have no doubt that 80 year old had to pass dozens of signs and warnings on his way through the Tower of Terror line.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
There are signs EVERYWHERE. They have signs posted nearly every 10 feet on just Splash Mountain so I have no doubt that 80 year old had to pass dozens of signs and warnings on his way through the Tower of Terror line.
YES the 3Ds...did you READ my post? I am AGREEING with you LOL

Old 04-18-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
YES the 3Ds...did you READ my post? I am AGREEING with you LOL
Yes...I know...I'm elaborating on what we're saying.

The key is personal responsibility but as long as huge corporations make money and would rather settle out of court, there will be a lawyer who is willing to tell a grieving family that it's not THEIR fault, it's the evil corporation's fault.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Yes...I know...I'm elaborating on what we're saying.

The key is personal responsibility but as long as huge corporations make money and would rather settle out of court, there will be a lawyer who is willing to tell a grieving family that it's not THEIR fault, it's the evil corporation's fault.
Oh..Ok, Sorry ! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel