Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 04:52 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,154,641 times

Advertisements

The first one applies to cat/pet owners:

1. I will be coming from CT. I have never driven more than 30 minutes with them (2) in the car. I will be visiting the vet before we leave (make sure shots are updated and to ask about long distance driving) and I'm curious what tips you have? Obviously I will want to put them in a (seperate of course, LOL) cage/carrier bigger than normal, but how did you handle food/bathrooms issues? Do you put them in a cage where you can put newspaper on the bottom? Did you only feed them when you stopped?

It's gonna be a long way and I will be stopping (thinking I will only drive 8-9 hours each day til I get there), but in the meantime......what do you for the pets?

2. Regarding driving from CT to South FL and only wanting to drive 8-9 hours/day..............how do you figure out where to stop? I want to make sure I book a (pet-friendly) room for the night in advance, but I'm not sure how to estimate where each stop would be (and I know I would have to figure in traffic, possible detours if roadwork, etc.).

Can AAA help with this? Or is there some wya I can figure out 8 hours from CT is to ____, 8 hours from ____ is to ____ (like a website)?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 04:58 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,060 times
There is a book available-Traveling With Your Pet. Great book. Lots of tips and it lists hotels that are pet friendly. I think most Best Westerns take pets, but go online and get an idea where you want to stop and call the hotels from the road, or earlier.

We always stop at Best Westerns with our pets.

Cats probably won't eat, drink or poop while you are driving. Don't feed them in the morning, or whenever you plan to drive. Feed them when you stop for the day. Don't let them out of their cages on the road.

Mapquest can give you an idea of time and distance, but it depends when you leave. Eight hours is a short time. I would rather drive for twelve. Then you will only have one night on the road.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:02 AM

Thanks Lilly. I will look into Best Westerns.

Yeah, they will NOT be allowed out of their cages while in the car. How did you deal with the litter thing? Bring a tiny litter box just for use when you stopped? Disposable litter boxes?

I was thinking 12 hours too, but if my mother makes the drive with me, I will be the only one driving. If my dad makes the drive, he might share the time. So I don't wanna "burn myself out" behind the wheel.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:26 AM

Disposable boxes work great.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:28 AM

I think Rocky Mount NC makes a great stopping point if you are heading south. Lots of hotels too. When we drive north, we usually try to stop in Fredricksburg VA.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:15 AM

Oh wow, and I know someone in Rocky Mount. Great time to stop and see her.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:12 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Moving this to the Travel section, as you may get more answers to your questions here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel